1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Not sure these trucks can be killed.
By shelbert1 on 09/04/13 14:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned 2 vehicles since 1985, my whole driving life. My 1st truck at 15 was a 1980 toyota pickup, I ran it to 550k miles before giving it to my brother in 1998. I purchases this 1996 Tacoma as a replacement. Was hoping for half the life of my 1st. It did not disappointed me yet. Just turned over 350k miles and is still my daily driver. Would not even think twice about heading cross country. I have replaced a starter, clutch master cylinder, and all bushings and ball joints (only one failed but I changed them all). Have yet to even replace the clutch but it is starting to slip I will buy another one if this one does give it up.

Engine is worn out
By christopherrum on 06/03/13 08:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically. Chemicals did help my transmission.

Toyota reneges on Frame Recall
By mmcd1 on 05/22/13 10:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Toyota Canada has denied any payout as the 15 yr program has ended. I had the truck in for the recall in April 2010 and now the truck is dangerous to drive and unsalable. Also my youngest daughter had been driving the truck to Toronto for school, which has obviously put her some peril with a faulty frame. I spoke with a Customer service rep named Steven ID# 5001, who told me that it has been decided and there is nothing that anyone can do. He would not give me a name or number of anyone above him to speak with regarding the decision. This is one of many Toyotax that I have owned and I am more than disappointed, I plan to sue!!

Tacoma wish it were a trophy truck
By rambo for hire on 08/14/10 00:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

2.7 169,000 on it. I purchised this truck from an air force full bird col. that told me he never did anything maintenance wise, but put 31 bfg's at's, but the first week I noticed a fuel leak in the #4 injector bank bad o-ring was the problem but replaced all 4 along with other related parts. Then I noticed during the summer when the engine was hot it was hard to start, mass airflow was dirty cleaned it with b-12 works great. Then came the front wheel bearing that went, i never seen one as hard as this the best way to tackle this is to take the spindle off and take it to Toyota service department, be sure not to damage the brass bushings you have to buy a new hub for $168.00.

Overall Great, Dependable and Fun
By Broeheem on 07/31/10 13:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck about a year ago, and am pretty happy with it. The 3.4 has more than enough gusto for me, the trans feels solid, and the suspension is a perfect balance of smooth ride and tight handling. SR5 has nearly all the toys standard and the factory option packages take care of the rest. I was determined to find one with all the options that you could get (except auto - would never own an auto). Exterior is the last decent-looking one before the headlights got massive, interior is not as sweet as the last model (and that hideous exploding steering pillow had to go immediately), but at least Toyota figured out that the speakers ought to NOT be pointing at the floor.

I Love My Toyota
By joe on 06/12/10 15:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Toyota at 118,000 , and after replacing little things here and there, it still runs like new and looks good. It has seen mud and water door high and have not got it stuck yet. I will have this truck restored and give it to my son (maybe) I do love my truck..

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By BB on 05/14/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

It has been a superb vehicle. Only things replaced: sensor inside catalytic converter; solenoid in starter; & manifold. I'm just now getting to the point that the clutch assembly needs replaced with almost 280,000 miles on the truck. Great lumbar support for my back. I'd like to change a few things inside the cab that were not well designed, but they are small issues compared to the truck's reliability and great gas mileage. I'll keep it until I'm too old to drive a stick shift!

Taco Ma is bulletproof
By vamnews on 10/19/08 20:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

As with all Toyotas, this baby beast is hard to kill. I do all the maintenance on my vehicles and this one is a breeze to work on with easy access to "hard to reach" components. I get 20-22 mpg w/ the 3.4 liter V-6 because I don't abuse it; but when I need it to perform, it answers the call. It hauls rocks, gravel, mulch with ease and can yank out stumps like a fullsize truck.

My little truck
By timmybird on 08/13/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 96 from my father in law with 96000. He drove long distances to work every day and racked up the miles. It was factory serviced all the way up to the point I bought it in 2000. I have never owned a toy but always wanted one. It was a dream come true for me. This truck ran like a brand new car for a long time. I still own the truck and have replaced the rotors twice, pads, and a plate inside the starter. That is it maybe 300 dollars in maintenance. It has never left me hanging stuck some where looking for a tow truck. It now has 203,000 and still going strong, not bad.

I will cry when I have to get ride of it
By LWags on 07/31/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first very own vehicle and I couldn't have gotten any luckier! I have been driving this truck for 11 1/2 years and its still going strong. Gets around surprisingly good in winter. I replaced the starter approx 5 years ago and other than that I have only done preventative maintenance. I have been rear and front ended and the other vehicles came out worse off than the truck!! I am in the market for a new Toyota and would have no problems selling my truck to a friend or family and know that they would be taken care of!

1 2 3 4 5 next »