Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Man I love this truck
By jss5724

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck last year after my wife and I bought a house. I needed to get rid of my car payment and needed a cheap, reliable truck, so this fit the bill. Got it for $2800 with 145K, bald tires, and a dented bumper. I changed out some of the parts that would likely leave me stranded (battery, starter, cables, alt.) after my starter went bad. I changed ALL fluids, cleaned it up and now I feel like I have a new best friend. The bed has enough room to hold all of the supplies I need to keep me busy doing yardwork all day. My wife is a doctor now and I have the opportunity to have a REALLY nice car, but I continue to drive "the old goat" anywhere and everywhere. Thanks Toyota!

SX package is a little nicer with aluminum wheels and bucket seats. It feels and looks like a sporty little ride. MPG 26+ mostly city driving. Cheap parts Other tacoma owners give me a nod! I know it's going to get me there. Timeless design Resale value Peppy little engine!!

I'd like to see all Toyota pickups come standard with Prerunner suspension. Most owners prefer the stance, and the payload afforded would improve payload capacity. These trucks are made to work - make the trucks sturdy and beefy!

My 95 Tacoma after 11 years.
By Jim

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My tacoma is now 11 years old with 84000 miles on it. I have the original tires and brakes. I am trading it in for a new 2006 Tacoma just because I want a new truck. The '95 still runs great. I do not regret having bought it. I do all the suggested maintenance and have had no unexpected maintenance issues. The truck has never let me down. I go off road in Utah and Colorado and have a great time with it. Biggest beef is the flimsy drink holder that pulls out from dash. A pop can will bounce around dumping out pop. Another is the brittle paint; it chips too easily.

Strong V6! Very smooth transmission. Reliable; it never let me down. Good off road performance; I never got hung up or had to back out of anyting. Did say it is good looking?

Drink holder pulls from dash: flimsy + blocks heater controls. Paint chips very easy. Throttle is too quick for smooth off-road driving. Brakes not linear with pedal pressure. Suspension becomes unstable on some roads.

Durable Truck
By Meross

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is fantastic. 182,000 miles and going strong. Drives like new, never breaks, and super reliable. This truck has never broken down- never- and starts every morning like it was new. Original clutch, original starter, original alternator, never a valve job, and the thing still averages 20mpg combined city/highway. This is simply a terrific small truck.

Go-anywhere four wheel drive. The transfer case shifter is a cool feature- much better than pushing a button! The reliability is amazing.

The cup holder is my only complaint- tricky location and tends to move way too much when driving, spilling the contents of the drink.

Great little truck
By Tacoma Man

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck after many years of saving up with 114K. Got the 2.7L I4, got good power without sacraficing too much mileage. Gas mileage is about 18.5. However, drivers side rear leaf spring broke shortly after purchase. Was a heafty $400 to replace with aftermarket springs. I was told this was very common with first year Tacomas. Overall, no major problems yet, doesn't burn oil, dont make noise. Ride is a little rough though.

Tightness of the truck, no lag in steering, transmission, or suspension. Love the body style, includes a full-size tire beneath bed, and quite preppy for an inline 4. Otherwise, like the compartment underneath the rear seat and sliding window.

new rear leaf springs, tacomas after about January of '96 should be fine to my knowledge. Ride was stiff even with old springs. Also, would like bucket seats instead of 60/40 split bench.

Dependability
By Tacoma Extra Cab V6

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Vehicle gave adequate warning when something needed repair. Do not like belt drive for camshafts and water pump.Both require replacement at 60000 miles.

Good gas mileage

Interior noise (more insulation) Relocate spare tire to more conveient location. Chain drive on camshafts