Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great truck
By reliable

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck has been so great for me. I have however replaced quite a bit of stuff. The common 95 Tacoma leaf springs needed to be replaced. Also replaced 3 batteries, starter, altenator, and both rear shocks. Still has original clutch and transmission (thankfully). Adequate gas mileage about 18 per gal. Overall, this truck has been great.

Favorite Features

Ease of 4wd, and power.

Suggested Improvements

suspension has been improved since then, Toyota went to 4 and 5 leaf springs and got away from the 3 leaf, which notoriously breaks. Bucket seats would be nice.

I love my Toyota
By jackie

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck in 98 with 37k miles. I have 153k on it now. Had to replace the shocks, the brakes twice and battery. Low cost vehicle with great zip and I average 26 MPG on hwy and 23 in the city. Starts up everytime, I just love this truck! I am glad to read that people have over 200k with no problems as well. Can't find a better truck out there.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Interior space. Cruise control location.

Suggested Improvements

Better shocks out of the fatory. All Toyotas seem to have wimpy shocks.

One of best vehicles ever made. Really.
By Truck Guy

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After 170,000 miles of 4WD mountain trails (hard core kayaker and climber), highway trips, towing, hauling, being lent to friends, pulling stuff heavier than rated capability, etc., this truck runs like it did when I bought it new 12 years ago. It's been a second vehicle for years now, and I often meet guys who have 400,000+ miles on these trucks. I've never had an iota of trouble with this truck (except for ripping the antenna off in a car wash). This is a truck that will go 500,000 miles, easy. Plus, it's still quick and fast (110 mph). Still looks relatively good. Wouldn't ever sell it. If you were lucky enough to buy one of these, don't ever sell it.

Favorite Features

Engine is unbelievably good with more horsepower than needed. Toyo engineers designed this engine for the much heavier 4Runner, so in the Tacoma, it's unbelievable. This Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built. (I also have an awesome F150).

Best Truck
By BEST TRUCK OUT THERE

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 1996 with 12000K. This is the best truck out there now. I put 260,000 miles on it and it has never left me stranded. The only complaint is the ride is bumpy now, but it's very strong for a 4 cylinder. The bed is very strong. People underestimate my truck when they see it, but when they see the load I put on it, they are surprised. Now I bought a new 2006 Tundra top of the line limited with TRD pkg. I would recommend Toyota to everyone who is looking for reliability, economy and gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Man I love this truck
By jss5724

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck last year after my wife and I bought a house. I needed to get rid of my car payment and needed a cheap, reliable truck, so this fit the bill. Got it for $2800 with 145K, bald tires, and a dented bumper. I changed out some of the parts that would likely leave me stranded (battery, starter, cables, alt.) after my starter went bad. I changed ALL fluids, cleaned it up and now I feel like I have a new best friend. The bed has enough room to hold all of the supplies I need to keep me busy doing yardwork all day. My wife is a doctor now and I have the opportunity to have a REALLY nice car, but I continue to drive "the old goat" anywhere and everywhere. Thanks Toyota!

Favorite Features

SX package is a little nicer with aluminum wheels and bucket seats. It feels and looks like a sporty little ride. MPG 26+ mostly city driving. Cheap parts Other tacoma owners give me a nod! I know it's going to get me there. Timeless design Resale value Peppy little engine!!

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see all Toyota pickups come standard with Prerunner suspension. Most owners prefer the stance, and the payload afforded would improve payload capacity. These trucks are made to work - make the trucks sturdy and beefy!