Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Holy Smokes, Do I Love This Truck!
By BCdogs14

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Easily the greatest vehicle I've ever driven. I've never had to fix anything that wasn't a perishable commodity. Brake pads only once, spark plugs once. Not bad for a 13 year old truck. Even took her cross country CA to NC... she kicked that out like it was driving to the store. Gas mileage is awesome for a truck. A story: Wife was buying her Yaris, and the salesman asks me what I'm driving, like to sell me one too, I tell him "that 1995 Tacoma right there". His smile drooped and he he walked away. I am convinced this truck will outlive me. I get offers on it from strangers almost once a week... and no soap. I love this truck!!!

Everything. I take her out on the back roads in eastern NC all the time to get to fishing holes. The rednecks here bag on me for not having 4wd, but then they see me go off road, and it shuts them up. Even the interior fabric cleans up easily!!

Someone mentioned the cup holder, and I agree. Kind of a not so stable place to put it. Same for the paint chips on the hood. But for the ONLY complaint to be the cup holder and paint? Toyota did SOMETHING right!!!

Man I love this truck
By jss5724

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck last year after my wife and I bought a house. I needed to get rid of my car payment and needed a cheap, reliable truck, so this fit the bill. Got it for $2800 with 145K, bald tires, and a dented bumper. I changed out some of the parts that would likely leave me stranded (battery, starter, cables, alt.) after my starter went bad. I changed ALL fluids, cleaned it up and now I feel like I have a new best friend. The bed has enough room to hold all of the supplies I need to keep me busy doing yardwork all day. My wife is a doctor now and I have the opportunity to have a REALLY nice car, but I continue to drive "the old goat" anywhere and everywhere. Thanks Toyota!

SX package is a little nicer with aluminum wheels and bucket seats. It feels and looks like a sporty little ride. MPG 26+ mostly city driving. Cheap parts Other tacoma owners give me a nod! I know it's going to get me there. Timeless design Resale value Peppy little engine!!

I'd like to see all Toyota pickups come standard with Prerunner suspension. Most owners prefer the stance, and the payload afforded would improve payload capacity. These trucks are made to work - make the trucks sturdy and beefy!

Still Going Strong With NO Engine Work
By Sean-again

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Here's an update. I am now just short of 250,000 miles and havn't needed ANY engine work. I am even on the original clutch. I have replaced the brake pads a couple times and the front rotors because some dip at Pep Boys turned them down too far (I bought new ones elsewhere). I change the oil at 8-10k mi intervals, there are NO oil leaks. In that time, the oil level drops from the 'full' line to the 'add' line on the stick. I burn a little oil and get a light smoke when downshifting and flooring it when passing, but no loss in power.

2.4 I4 engine set a new standard for small truck base engine power in '95 (142 hp). Standard power steering was a nice feature too.

Leg room and seat comfort.

Keeps Going and Going and Going...
By Jon Martin

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for eight years now and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Reliability is great, never breaks down. Replaced the clutch at 145,000. Need a new starter now, but I am able to start the truck if I play with it abit. I have been in two rear end accidents with the truck and have had no mechanical problems. Thus far, I have only replaced the clutch, alternator and battery.

Reliability. Low cost to operate and maintain. Power from the 4cyl engine.

Make standard brakes last longer. Make rear bumper standard equipment. Add an armrest to the bench seat.

Reliable and No Major Repairs
By Pergo

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Toyota pickup used with 15K miles on it. Having owned it for 6 years and driving it back and forth between CA and AZ many times, I can truly say that this little truck is awesome. With 128K miles, no major repairs have been needed. It is fun to drive and economical. Reliable and highly recommended.

The bench seat is uncomfortable when driving long distances.