Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Keeps on trucking... yea ya!
By Eric

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This was my first truck I have purchased on my own, when I was 18. Great truck!! It now has 270,000 miles and keeps on going. Things I had to replace or repair: U joint in drive shaft (80,000 miles & 120,000 mi), Powersteering pump (100,000 mi), starter (120,000 mi) and that's all that comes to mind. Right now, I do have a an oil leak, need to replace spark plugs more frequently since there is an oil leak there too but the truck keeps running fine and it passed smog (CA is a big deal). The car, in my opinion is very reliable. Toyota trucks, compact size, are great cars!

Favorite Features

The speed when first purchased car.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better gas mileage.

Holy Smokes, Do I Love This Truck!
By BCdogs14

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Easily the greatest vehicle I've ever driven. I've never had to fix anything that wasn't a perishable commodity. Brake pads only once, spark plugs once. Not bad for a 13 year old truck. Even took her cross country CA to NC... she kicked that out like it was driving to the store. Gas mileage is awesome for a truck. A story: Wife was buying her Yaris, and the salesman asks me what I'm driving, like to sell me one too, I tell him "that 1995 Tacoma right there". His smile drooped and he he walked away. I am convinced this truck will outlive me. I get offers on it from strangers almost once a week... and no soap. I love this truck!!!

Favorite Features

Everything. I take her out on the back roads in eastern NC all the time to get to fishing holes. The rednecks here bag on me for not having 4wd, but then they see me go off road, and it shuts them up. Even the interior fabric cleans up easily!!

Suggested Improvements

Someone mentioned the cup holder, and I agree. Kind of a not so stable place to put it. Same for the paint chips on the hood. But for the ONLY complaint to be the cup holder and paint? Toyota did SOMETHING right!!!

Man I love this truck
By jss5724

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck last year after my wife and I bought a house. I needed to get rid of my car payment and needed a cheap, reliable truck, so this fit the bill. Got it for $2800 with 145K, bald tires, and a dented bumper. I changed out some of the parts that would likely leave me stranded (battery, starter, cables, alt.) after my starter went bad. I changed ALL fluids, cleaned it up and now I feel like I have a new best friend. The bed has enough room to hold all of the supplies I need to keep me busy doing yardwork all day. My wife is a doctor now and I have the opportunity to have a REALLY nice car, but I continue to drive "the old goat" anywhere and everywhere. Thanks Toyota!

Favorite Features

SX package is a little nicer with aluminum wheels and bucket seats. It feels and looks like a sporty little ride. MPG 26+ mostly city driving. Cheap parts Other tacoma owners give me a nod! I know it's going to get me there. Timeless design Resale value Peppy little engine!!

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see all Toyota pickups come standard with Prerunner suspension. Most owners prefer the stance, and the payload afforded would improve payload capacity. These trucks are made to work - make the trucks sturdy and beefy!

3 years and still running strong
By Dydrmr01

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have owned my Tacoma for 3 1/2 years and I love this truck! I am a first- time Toyota and truck owner, but I am sold. I just rolled 124,000 miles, and besides a timing belt change, I have no major mechanical work needed on this vehicle. They are great trucks, and if you take care of them, they'll take care of you. Not to mention that I live in Hawaii, do a lot of off-roading, and this little stock Toyota keeps pace with the jacked up Chevys and Fords with no problem at all.

Favorite Features

I love the 4-wheeling capability of this truck, I love how reliable it is, but most of all it's just a ton of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Next time I'll go with an extended cab for more people and leg room, otherwise I'd keep it just the same.

Still Going Strong With NO Engine Work
By Sean-again

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Here's an update. I am now just short of 250,000 miles and havn't needed ANY engine work. I am even on the original clutch. I have replaced the brake pads a couple times and the front rotors because some dip at Pep Boys turned them down too far (I bought new ones elsewhere). I change the oil at 8-10k mi intervals, there are NO oil leaks. In that time, the oil level drops from the 'full' line to the 'add' line on the stick. I burn a little oil and get a light smoke when downshifting and flooring it when passing, but no loss in power.

Favorite Features

2.4 I4 engine set a new standard for small truck base engine power in '95 (142 hp). Standard power steering was a nice feature too.

Suggested Improvements

Leg room and seat comfort.