Solid Performer is Underrated
By km on
1998 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB
Critics panned the T100 when it was introduced; too small, they said. It's the perfect size for me. Plenty of power, lots more cabin space than the Tacoma, plenty of cargo space, with Toyota reliability. At 6'2" I find plenty of room inside. It's been very reliable so far. The interior looks dated with the old style controls, and there are too many stalks on the steering column. Lacks niceties like cargo bed lamp, remote fuel hatch release, etc. It's no Tundra but doesn't cost nearly as much either. And it's a big step up from the Tacoma. Friends say the resale on it will be awful, nobody wants them. I say, "Resale? I'm going to drive it until it falls apart."
Favorite Features
Strong engine, large cabin, fair-to-good economy, reliability, storage bins under rear seats, good looks, large bed.
Suggested Improvements
Body sheet metal too thin. Engine is awful loud. Seat doesn't move back far enough. Cupholders obviously designed as an afterthought. Stalk mounted controls confusing. Sunvisors & headliner are cheesy. Wheelbase could stand to be longer.