Used 1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota T100 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific T100 model:

They don't bulid them like this anymore
By jfl1963

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my truck for 11 years. I will take this truck to the grave with me. Over the 11 years, the truck has taken great care of me, and I have taken great care of it. Yes, I've replaced a few items that have failed, but the truck is 15 years old. Biggest expense was replacing full exhuast system last month. This truck has a perfect balance of everything: looks, size, reliability, and performance. I haul heavy materials and motorcycles in the bed and the truck never misses a beat. I'd have to spend $40K on a new truck to get what I get from my truck, and I could never justify that. I paid $15K with 50,000 miles on it. 11 years later, I have 127,000. Still going strong.

Favorite Features

Size. Not too big, and not too small. Just right. Stance. The truck looks like a pick-up should look.

Suggested Improvements

Only wish Toyota still made this truck.

Best Money Ever Spent
By kaywye

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Built proof, reliable, near perfect...I bought a '98 SR5 4x4 in 2002 with around 25k on it. I have driven it as my primary vehicle (commuter, highway, hunting and camping) for nearly 14 years. The truck has 155k on it now. I have done regular maintainance and a few minor repairs (small wiring issue at around 70k), nearly no issues. The motor lacks power, put it serves most purposes other than towing. I love this truck. If you find one with less than 150k, buy it. I can't wait to give it to my daughter and she is only 5. I know it will still be around.

10 Years 6000 miles
By ageorge

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

So I bought this truck for going to dump and beach on cape cod. It had 98,000 miles . 2 owners All original body etc. I now have a whopping 105,000 miles on ten years later and park it in a garage all winter with a trickle charge. In ten years I have done regular oil changes, replaced two tires and one battery. Thats it. Thing always starts are goes in the spring. Paint looks great. It is solid and fun to drive. Im teaching my kids to drive standard on it so we'll see if the clutch holds out. I don't see any reason I wouldn't have this truck for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

Absolutley bullet proof. Cab is comfortable and durable. Four wheel drive is extremely well designed.

Great Truck
By dt

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned this truck going on 4 years now and it has been reliable and is a smooth ride. I have towed a 17' bass boat and also loaded a 10' row boat in the bed. It drives well and actually seems to drive better with a load in the bed. I have 105000 miles on it and was thinking of trading up, but I'm not sure if I would get a better truck even if it were a newer model. It's 12 years old and I have owned it for 4 years and only had to replace the front brake pads and a muffler and have a bolt re-threaded on the oxygen sensor. the muffler and brakes were both done in the past year. So basically 3 years with only oil changes on a 12 yr old truck.

Favorite Features

Plain Jane with excellent reliability. cheap to own!

Suggested Improvements

Little bumper rust and in the rear quarters as well, but hey it's 12 years old! Long wheel base makes tight turns a little tougher, but smooth ride.

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Ron G

1998 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it used 8 years ago, and I've driven it like I stole it ever since. Currently has 196,000 on the clock and I can list the repairs on one hand: new ignition lock cylinder at 120k, new ignition coil and wires at 190k. Less than $600 in repairs. I get about 21 mpg on my daily commute, running it like a scalded dog. The rep on these is golden. I've had several offers to buy mine from complete strangers. This one has made me a loyal Toyota customer for life, if not longer.

Favorite Features

Legendary reliability, perfectly sized truck, strong V6, storage bins under rear seat, designed to be easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major; very few things about this truck irk me. More than one 12vdc outlet would be nice. Hood flexes at highway speeds, alarming passengers.