What happened ?
By hthomas on
1996 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB
Bought with 70000 miles in '99, enjoyed every minute of ownership until the end. Changed oil religiously, timing belt changed at 65,000 & 120,000, performed regular Ttrans & coolant services, basically followed owner's manual. What more could I do, right? What I'm getting to is head gasket failure that led to cylinders 3 & 6 getting "burnt" (mechanics term) at 158000 miles. Quite disappointed I am in the Toyota product. If I follow recommended maintenance shouldn't I get at least 200000 miles out of a Toyota product? Quite irritating to take such good care of a vehicle, internally & externally, and have it cough up an engine this soon. Thanks Toyota.....
Favorite Features
Great look, paint held up really well. Ease of installing after market hitch myself. Ease of installing new in dash radio as well. Got many compliments on appearance and ride over the years
Suggested Improvements
Engine that lasts!! Transmission shift actuator was made of plastic and had to be replaced with metal one, imagine that! Not expensive, but a hassle when it failed.