Sat for years.....
By toyolawyer on
1996 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB
Recently got my 1996 T100 SR5 back on the road again after sitting in the driveway for 6 years. I couldn't bring myself to sell it. Fought my wife to keep it. Glad I did. I had to replace the starter and battery, to get it running again but mechanically it runs great. Forgot how much I liked this truck. I drove an element for a while, but gave it away to a family member and decided to drive my truck again. Its got 160K miles on it, but runs like new. I was surprised/relieved that the AC works great still.
Favorite Features
I like the way the truck looks. the interior has never cracked despite sitting in the Florida sun for almost 6 years. It's sporty looking still. I got it painted 4 years ago, but left it sitting and never waxed it so the pain on the roof started to fade in a spot. Gonna fix that myself. No dings or dents. This truck is just dependable. It's never left me stranded. The only times it hasn't started is when I've left it sitting for extended periods of time and the starter and battery went bad. That's it. I've had many offers left on the windshield to buy this truck. I think people didn't realize back in the 90s what a great truck this was.
Suggested Improvements
Do need to replace or look at some minor problems: 1. Electric door locks don't work well. May just need some lubrication, because they do move. 2. Power antenna doesn't work. I'm replacing it with a manual one. 3. Seat belts don't retract so great anymore. Besides standard maintenance, I've replaced in the past: 1. Head gasket by Toyota due to recall. 2. Radiator which went bad. 3. Starter went bad probably from sitting. 4. Ignition was replaced.