Used 1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific T100 model:

T100 SR5 4X4
By Nick

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is great. I added michelin LTX tires and front bilstein shocks, and wow what a difference. These trucks have had problems with front brake rotor warpage, so I put on a set of cryo power slot brand rotors and hawk severe duty/towing pads. The truck is now complete. I love the ride, handling and stopping power. Not a heavy hauler, but a super family vehicle.

Nice v6 engine note, great in snow/bad weather. Nice ride and great handling.

Seat belt retractors defective. Never rewind properly. Cheap factory shocks, defective undersized rotors for greater tire size.

1996 Toyota T100 5 speed
By Kris

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We bought this vehicle when it was a year old and had 18,000 miles on it. it now has 83,000 miles. It sure gave the Dodge Dakota a run for its money by being the only two mid-size trucks. Reliability and styling beat it hands down. Now the Tundra (full size) has taken its place. People are surprised to hear that it is a 96 with the styling and the way that it is holding up. The only thing that bugs me is that there are no headrests on the bench seat in the back and that we might have to get rid of it as our son graduates form his high back booster. Both my husband and myself had Toyota pickups when we met. Very reliable and great styling will always draw us back to Toyota trucks.

Styling! Ford stole some of the styling when the changed the styling of the F-150 in the late 90's. Metric tires - I like the big meats. The clutch start/cancel switch. Everything else is pretty basic but comfortable.

head gasket trouble, new clutch needed at 73,000 miles, bumper is rusting in the holes - even though I put chrome polish on it twice a year.

T100
By Paul

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new and it is still going strong. Both of my sons have used it in college and one is still using this truck in college. It is a very tough truck as it has been used off-road from time to time. The engine & transmission is top notch for durablity & reliability. I look forward to many more years of use.

Interior room & bed size.

Seat belt retractors do not work well. Belts always get caught in the door. Should have a warning bell or something when the head-lights are left on.

Great Truck
By Adam

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck is all original with 172k miles on the 3.4l v6 .... never needs anything but routine maintnence... the timing belt has only been replaced once. Fits a atv in the back with the tailgate up. Plenty of power. Accelerates faster then a lot of cars...even with an atv in the back. Has never had anything it couldn't handle.

Acceleration, Space, Dependability, everything besides the cup holders.

Cup holders which i never use

Shoud I stay or should I go
By mik

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The new tundras are tempting, and I am struggling with the idea of staying with the T or moving on. I have been extremely happy with the old girl, with only the shoulder harness retention problem, pesky wheel stop noise, and occasional door lock issues as chronic problems after 118k miles, all logged going up and down the eastern seaboard. The last toy i owned was the 92 4WD pickup, and that was still going strong at 130k miles at trade-in. I owned fords and chevys before these two, and I will never go back.

Strong, economical V6 decent sound system good auto trans

Recall the harness/belt retainer, and come up with a longer-term fix for the wheel stops

• SUV