Used 1996 Toyota T100 Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific T100 model:

SR5 S/B V6 4X4
By bobbyz

1996 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm 6'4" and bought my T100 in late '96. In 10 yrs and 130K miles I've replaced the clutch and the rear end and the rear end was more than likely my own fault for not keeping up on it. The only flaws in it are the driver door remote open stopped working the 2nd yr and the same seatbelt problem as everyone else although it does retract, you just have to help it. And of course that annoying steering stop noise. But other than these couple of things, the good has far outweighed the bad. I have several vintage cars and trucks including a 41 chevy P/U and a 70 chevy 4x4. The t100 4xs great and fits right in at home. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. No reason to, we love it. Reliable as can be!

SR5 pkg. Roomy for a mid size truck. Console. Dash layout. Power. Mileage. Exterior design. Mirrors. Factory speaker layout. Plenty of room for my 6'4" self and plenty comfy.

Rotors, seatbelts, steer stops.

What happened ?
By hthomas

1996 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 70000 miles in '99, enjoyed every minute of ownership until the end. Changed oil religiously, timing belt changed at 65,000 & 120,000, performed regular Ttrans & coolant services, basically followed owner's manual. What more could I do, right? What I'm getting to is head gasket failure that led to cylinders 3 & 6 getting "burnt" (mechanics term) at 158000 miles. Quite disappointed I am in the Toyota product. If I follow recommended maintenance shouldn't I get at least 200000 miles out of a Toyota product? Quite irritating to take such good care of a vehicle, internally & externally, and have it cough up an engine this soon. Thanks Toyota.....

Great look, paint held up really well. Ease of installing after market hitch myself. Ease of installing new in dash radio as well. Got many compliments on appearance and ride over the years

Engine that lasts!! Transmission shift actuator was made of plastic and had to be replaced with metal one, imagine that! Not expensive, but a hassle when it failed.

Last of the true Japanese trucks!
By peterD

1996 Toyota T100 SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Like so many here, I originally wanted to buy a Tundra but the T100 fits my needs perfectly. Tight turning radius, torsion bar suspension gives a controlled taut ride. Excellent fuel mileage with 19 city and 22 hwy. It can haul anything I need, Automatic transmission has a legendary bullet proof record, Dated interior yes, BUT its been perfected so no problems. Cupholder is interesting and most hate it. I love it, Its sturdy and can hold anything I want it to and its easy to get to. Stock speakers are excellent, Bench seat is comfy and not as high as the Tundra. Much better payload than Tundra ( 2150 pounds!) You don't find many for sale because no one wants to sell!

Gas mileage, durability, reliability, looks, cup holders ( yes!! look and judge them compared to others), automatic is bullet proof, very good resale but who wants to sell??

Difficult to find without them being beaten to death. Find one thats in great condition BUY IT!

Unbelievable reliability
By aaron

1996 Toyota T100 DX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

162,000 miles and I've replaced nothing but one timing belt (routine) and a U-joint. This truck looks the same year after year and there are only a couple very small rust spots starting around the wheel wells that never seem to get any worse, even with the NY winter road salt. Eleven years old and 162,000 miles and I would not hesitate to drive this thing across country and back. It's been an excellent truck.

Very capable 4WD, smooth ride as compared to the Tacoma, comfortable during long trips, never breaks down, always starts, and rarely needs repairs of any kind.

Seat belt retractors, I've replaced the throttle cable 3 times in 5 years because it starts to stick and gives the gas pedal a 'sticky' feeling, brakes wear out fairly quickly. All minor issues, really.

T100
By Ted

1996 Toyota T100 DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it new in 1996. Best truck I've ever owned. Never left me stranded. Sporty for a truck. Good acceleration for a 6. I've pulled a 19' fiberglass boat all over Fla in the summer heat and the tranny stills shifts like new. Can't beat Toyota.

Engine performance, styling, and comfort.

Seat belt retractors stink.