1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific T100 model:
Great Truck
By DanielE on 02/28/09 00:08 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have owned since Dec, 2005. Purchased at 148,000 miles. Now, running the truck with 168,000 miles and haven't had a problem the last three years. Living in a hot desert valley, the paint started to fade away but just got done with a brand new paint job a month ago. Will reach 200,000 miles.

Great Truck
By 225,00 & Still Going on 12/30/08 21:15 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my truck from an individual in '97 with only 18K miles on it. My truck now has 225,000 plus and still going. My only regret was I wished it was an automatic. I'm tired of shifting after 11 years. Toyota should have never stopped making this truck. It is perfect. If you take care of it the truck will take care of you. I would buy this model again if it was still on the market. Maybe Toyota will bring it back!

T100 gets a One-Hundred Score!
By Ed on 12/02/07 00:24 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is amazing. Bought it a couple of years used in 1998 with 27,000 miles on it. It now has 227,000 miles and still going great. Just regular maintenance, oil changes, timing belt replacements, etc., keep it running well. Only repairs have been: head gasket replacement (a Toyota recall item right after I bought it), replaced shocks about 1 year ago, repl. front rotors about 2 months ago, repl. radiator and 3 hoses about 2 years ago, repl. front O2 sensor, repl. door straps, repl. driver side door handle about 1 month ago. It pulls my 19' boat with 150HP outboard motor on a single axle trailer with no problem (used to tow 22 footer!).

Love this Truck, Love this Truck
By Long term driver on 11/18/07 11:29 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck since 1997 and it has 140,000 miles on it. I think that this is the best truck Toyota has ever made and the improvements in recent Toyota trucks have not driven me to want to replace it. The size and mileage are great for the year and power (avg. 16 w/ 18 highway) for a 2 mpg improvement on recent models why shell out the extra 30 grand. This truck has spent its time in heavy snow, off road (really sketchy stuff) hunting, hauling wood and driving cross country multiple times. It is a great truck.

SR5 S/B V6 4X4
By bobbyz on 08/08/07 22:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm 6'4" and bought my T100 in late '96. In 10 yrs and 130K miles I've replaced the clutch and the rear end and the rear end was more than likely my own fault for not keeping up on it. The only flaws in it are the driver door remote open stopped working the 2nd yr and the same seatbelt problem as everyone else although it does retract, you just have to help it. And of course that annoying steering stop noise. But other than these couple of things, the good has far outweighed the bad. I have several vintage cars and trucks including a 41 chevy P/U and a 70 chevy 4x4. The t100 4xs great and fits right in at home. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. No reason to, we love it. Reliable as can be!

What happened ?
By hthomas on 02/20/07 19:20 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 70000 miles in '99, enjoyed every minute of ownership until the end. Changed oil religiously, timing belt changed at 65,000 & 120,000, performed regular Ttrans & coolant services, basically followed owner's manual. What more could I do, right? What I'm getting to is head gasket failure that led to cylinders 3 & 6 getting "burnt" (mechanics term) at 158000 miles. Quite disappointed I am in the Toyota product. If I follow recommended maintenance shouldn't I get at least 200000 miles out of a Toyota product? Quite irritating to take such good care of a vehicle, internally & externally, and have it cough up an engine this soon. Thanks Toyota.....

Last of the true Japanese trucks!
By peterD on 02/03/07 23:40 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Like so many here, I originally wanted to buy a Tundra but the T100 fits my needs perfectly. Tight turning radius, torsion bar suspension gives a controlled taut ride. Excellent fuel mileage with 19 city and 22 hwy. It can haul anything I need, Automatic transmission has a legendary bullet proof record, Dated interior yes, BUT its been perfected so no problems. Cupholder is interesting and most hate it. I love it, Its sturdy and can hold anything I want it to and its easy to get to. Stock speakers are excellent, Bench seat is comfy and not as high as the Tundra. Much better payload than Tundra ( 2150 pounds!) You don't find many for sale because no one wants to sell!

Unbelievable reliability
By aaron on 01/08/07 13:40 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

162,000 miles and I've replaced nothing but one timing belt (routine) and a U-joint. This truck looks the same year after year and there are only a couple very small rust spots starting around the wheel wells that never seem to get any worse, even with the NY winter road salt. Eleven years old and 162,000 miles and I would not hesitate to drive this thing across country and back. It's been an excellent truck.

T100
By Ted on 12/31/06 06:14 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it new in 1996. Best truck I've ever owned. Never left me stranded. Sporty for a truck. Good acceleration for a 6. I've pulled a 19' fiberglass boat all over Fla in the summer heat and the tranny stills shifts like new. Can't beat Toyota.

1996 Toyota T-100 auto
By matt on 11/28/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned everything from a GMC 3/4 ton diesel to a 2000 Civic Si and this is the most fun to drive. Needed a vehicle for college, drove it for 15min and bought it. I will own this truck till the wheels fall off. Best truck I've ever owned hands down.