Used 1996 Toyota T100 DX Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific T100 model:

Great Truck
By Bailey

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new 6/20/96. I had owned several fords & chevys, heard a lot of good talk about toyotas so I bought the T100. It has been the best truck I have ever had. At about 15000 miles had head gasket recall, after that just normal maintenance, timing belt, and one set of front disc brake pads. Paint has held up great for being parked outside in Alabamas hot climate.Total mileage on this date is 69,528...

Favorite Features

I like every thing about the truck, hauling, towing, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt retractors

Whata Bang 4 da Buck!
By cubanrummy

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

After careful researching, getting carfax(s), reading the forums, & looking at several T100's, I found this nicely cared-for gem w/126K miles w/the V-6 head gasket recall work done by a Toyota dealer with the previous owner. This truck drives like a car with a very tight turning radius. Front cloth seats are quite comfy even without lumbar support, all interior materials are excellent quality, plus the HVAC system works really well. All T100's were built in Japan by Toyota subsidiary Hino (they make BIG trucks & buses) & they were over-engineered to be rugged & tough...this vehicle was way under-rated & under-sold in the 90's...a real sleeper; I recommend it highly, & glad I got one.

Favorite Features

Full sized bed w/liner & anchor hooks. Quiet ride, easy to park. Strong V- 6/Auto drivetrain (tows 5,000 lbs). Rear sliding window, locking gas cap lid, & split front bench seat(s).

Suggested Improvements

Front seatbelt retractors are shot. Paint on the hood & on top of the cab has lost the clearcoat & fading.

Great Truck
By 225,00 & Still Going

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my truck from an individual in '97 with only 18K miles on it. My truck now has 225,000 plus and still going. My only regret was I wished it was an automatic. I'm tired of shifting after 11 years. Toyota should have never stopped making this truck. It is perfect. If you take care of it the truck will take care of you. I would buy this model again if it was still on the market. Maybe Toyota will bring it back!

Favorite Features

Great visibility, easy to drive, great handling, cold original air cond., tows well, great work truck for medium jobs.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts tend to hang up and get caught in the door during closing.

T100 gets a One-Hundred Score!
By Ed

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is amazing. Bought it a couple of years used in 1998 with 27,000 miles on it. It now has 227,000 miles and still going great. Just regular maintenance, oil changes, timing belt replacements, etc., keep it running well. Only repairs have been: head gasket replacement (a Toyota recall item right after I bought it), replaced shocks about 1 year ago, repl. front rotors about 2 months ago, repl. radiator and 3 hoses about 2 years ago, repl. front O2 sensor, repl. door straps, repl. driver side door handle about 1 month ago. It pulls my 19' boat with 150HP outboard motor on a single axle trailer with no problem (used to tow 22 footer!).

Favorite Features

Ride is solid, smooth and quiet. Plenty of towing power for my needs. Starts reliably. 19-21mpg. I wish all new headliners were the suspended type like T100. The original seat upholstry is still good! It holds a steering alignment almost forever! The tailgate straps are solid metal, not cables.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt retractors should be a recall item. Rear brakes need to be cleaned and adjusted frequently (maybe I should R&R the rear drums and shoes). The tag lights also had to be replaced. Upgrade fuse box connectors. R&R'd sound system. Prefer metal door straps like my 1990 Camry I sold last year.

T100
By Ted

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab DX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it new in 1996. Best truck I've ever owned. Never left me stranded. Sporty for a truck. Good acceleration for a 6. I've pulled a 19' fiberglass boat all over Fla in the summer heat and the tranny stills shifts like new. Can't beat Toyota.

Favorite Features

Engine performance, styling, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt retractors stink.