Used 1996 Toyota T100 SR5 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific T100 model:

Amazing!
By krebbers

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the most amazing truck ever, and I have driven or rode in every truck made at least the front runners. Quite frankly, there are no front runners compared to this truck. It has been across the country and back so many times I stopped counting. The only major thing, except for me crashing it, was the head gasket recall. Toyota stepped up to the plate on that one and did the right thing. The truck still looks great and with over 200K it still runs perfect! Wish I could afford to put cool rims on it.....! I will be the only owner, not to sound selfish....lol

300k plus!!
By cromjue

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Can't get the thing to stop running! This truck has had very little done to it over the years (since 97' when purchased new) other than routine maintenance.....just can't say enough about how great this vehicle has been!

long lasting great running.......truck.....

wishes Toyota still made their trucks as well as this one!

Sat for years.....
By toyolawyer

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Recently got my 1996 T100 SR5 back on the road again after sitting in the driveway for 6 years. I couldn't bring myself to sell it. Fought my wife to keep it. Glad I did. I had to replace the starter and battery, to get it running again but mechanically it runs great. Forgot how much I liked this truck. I drove an element for a while, but gave it away to a family member and decided to drive my truck again. Its got 160K miles on it, but runs like new. I was surprised/relieved that the AC works great still.

I like the way the truck looks. the interior has never cracked despite sitting in the Florida sun for almost 6 years. It's sporty looking still. I got it painted 4 years ago, but left it sitting and never waxed it so the pain on the roof started to fade in a spot. Gonna fix that myself. No dings or dents. This truck is just dependable. It's never left me stranded. The only times it hasn't started is when I've left it sitting for extended periods of time and the starter and battery went bad. That's it. I've had many offers left on the windshield to buy this truck. I think people didn't realize back in the 90s what a great truck this was.

Do need to replace or look at some minor problems: 1. Electric door locks don't work well. May just need some lubrication, because they do move. 2. Power antenna doesn't work. I'm replacing it with a manual one. 3. Seat belts don't retract so great anymore. Besides standard maintenance, I've replaced in the past: 1. Head gasket by Toyota due to recall. 2. Radiator which went bad. 3. Starter went bad probably from sitting. 4. Ignition was replaced.

What happened ?
By hthomas

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 70000 miles in '99, enjoyed every minute of ownership until the end. Changed oil religiously, timing belt changed at 65,000 & 120,000, performed regular Ttrans & coolant services, basically followed owner's manual. What more could I do, right? What I'm getting to is head gasket failure that led to cylinders 3 & 6 getting "burnt" (mechanics term) at 158000 miles. Quite disappointed I am in the Toyota product. If I follow recommended maintenance shouldn't I get at least 200000 miles out of a Toyota product? Quite irritating to take such good care of a vehicle, internally & externally, and have it cough up an engine this soon. Thanks Toyota.....

Great look, paint held up really well. Ease of installing after market hitch myself. Ease of installing new in dash radio as well. Got many compliments on appearance and ride over the years

Engine that lasts!! Transmission shift actuator was made of plastic and had to be replaced with metal one, imagine that! Not expensive, but a hassle when it failed.

Last of the true Japanese trucks!
By peterD

1996 Toyota T100 Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Like so many here, I originally wanted to buy a Tundra but the T100 fits my needs perfectly. Tight turning radius, torsion bar suspension gives a controlled taut ride. Excellent fuel mileage with 19 city and 22 hwy. It can haul anything I need, Automatic transmission has a legendary bullet proof record, Dated interior yes, BUT its been perfected so no problems. Cupholder is interesting and most hate it. I love it, Its sturdy and can hold anything I want it to and its easy to get to. Stock speakers are excellent, Bench seat is comfy and not as high as the Tundra. Much better payload than Tundra ( 2150 pounds!) You don't find many for sale because no one wants to sell!

Gas mileage, durability, reliability, looks, cup holders ( yes!! look and judge them compared to others), automatic is bullet proof, very good resale but who wants to sell??

Difficult to find without them being beaten to death. Find one thats in great condition BUY IT!