Used 1997 Toyota Supra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Supra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Supra

View reviews for a specific Supra model:

Most Helpful|
Adam's Supra review
By Notorious 2JZ

1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd car after owning all Acuras. I can say that I am proudly a Toyota (eventually Lexus hybrid) owner for life! Take it to the track and take your girl out to dinner in the same night. Turns heads everywhere, and the sky is the limit when it comes to engine tuning. Literally, everything in this car can be upgraded. The car was built way ahead of it's time. I have a hard time believing that it's a 97 and not an 07. It makes a great circuit or drag racing car. Or you could just let it sit in the garage and watch it go up in value! There's a very large Supra enthusiast community like the Mustang or Camaro. This car has been extremely reliable for me even after adding HP!

Favorite Features

Unique (no one has a Supra), the engine with a short block that can handle 900hp, unique projector headlight/taillights, targa top, fit and finish, perfect dash setup, bulletproof 6-speed transmission, if you sneeze on this car it'll gain 20 horsepower, RWD, handling, comfortable for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The next Supra needs: cup holders, bigger back seat, built-in navigation with engine programming (like the skyline), chrome accent rings around A/C vents in gauges, choice between carbon fiber or brushed aluminum trim (no vinyl), xenon HIDs, convertible targa, and of course more horsepower!

Best Affordable Supercar Ever Built
By rx8adp@hotmail.com

1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 2dr Coupe

Well at last earlier this year after many years of saving I finally own my Dream-Car. It is a 1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Jewel Green with Gold Package very rare and I bought it with only 64K original mileage. All I can say is this car has such amazing build quality and is so quiet and solid that sometime I forget that this car is 13 years old it is that well built. Also what makes this car so timeless is its amazing shape I get compliments all the time and people always ask me when did this car come out I have not seem it in the Showroom floor and when I tell them that its a classic Toyota they never believe me. Overall they are amazing to own and a very very special car to have.

Favorite Features

Targa Top and the air running through my hair. Twin Turbos and the breathtaking speed they provide. Last but not least the driver centered interior it is so cool and a joy to be in.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they were cheaper to buy as they hold their value so well even in this economy. Also I wish they came with HID headlight but will be ordering low/fog kit's soon.

A classic worth keeping for one's lifetime
By nyindallas

1997 Toyota Supra 2dr Coupe

From the second generation from the mid-80's the supra has been my dream car. I found this in 02 with about 22000 K on it. I was looking for a manual, but this was the cleanest Supra I could find. Not a scratch. In the last seven years it has been perfect. It never fails to please. Other than 1 02 sensor, I have not had a single problem. It has ample power w/o the turbo and it s amazing how well it hugs the road.

Favorite Features

Comfort (I am 6'2"), ample power, reliable, bites the road.

Suggested Improvements

Some insulation would be nice. The targa is noisy.

Best Japanese Sports Car Period!
By Rick Lam

1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 2dr Coupe

Have my '97 15th Anniversary Edition Turbo since June of 97 and love every mile. Very reliable no issues so far other than normal wear and tear. Tan leather seats stain easily. Cruising road and wind noise rather high. Bumpy ride with my 18s you feel every little ripple on the road but the car handles like it was a part of you. Awesome brakes and cornering ability.

Favorite Features

Twin Turbos, cornering, braking and switch back abilities.

Suggested Improvements

Less road and wind noise. More headroom for drivers over 6 foot.

Supra King of Sports Cars
By SuperJay

1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 2dr Coupe

This is by far one of the greatest Sports cars I have ever owned. With few mods it its fast and highly desired.

Favorite Features

Twin Turbos, Body styling

Suggested Improvements

Better leather