2014 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Most Helpful|
Great Choice After Lots of Anxiety
73,624 of 73,630 people found this review helpful
By luxsacra

2014 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It was difficult deciding among Toyota, Honda and Kia. All have their good points and drive well. I bought the Toyota four weeks ago, and I am happy with the decision, though I'd probably be just as happy with the Honda and Kia. I have the blind-spot monitor option ($500) and like it a lot. On the Sienna it is on both side-view mirrors; on the Odyssey, it is only on the passenger side. The long-slide 2nd row seats allow for almost 19" of leg room in the 2nd row, though that would leave almost no leg room for the 3rd row. Both 2nd and 3rd rows have shades. Entune and navigation system are great. Lots of cargo space behind 3rd row. 3rd row seats store easily, but not as easily as Honda's.

Favorite Features

The ride and handling are smooth and quiet, similar to driving a luxury car. Great pick up (zippy). Much easier to drive than the smaller crossover I traded in, and similar miles per gallon. Plenty of storage compartments, and there are seven hooks for hanging grocery bags in the cargo area. Entune works great. With the press of an app button, I get gas prices for miles around. It clearly reads text messages. My iPad and iPod hooked up effortlessly through the USB port, and my phone's music was there instantly via Bluetooth. Clear rear-view camera and navigation screen. The smaller clock, temp, mpg screen is easy to read and well placed. Solidly built. Great suspension. Clean exterior lines.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a power port for the 2nd row. Better mpg without sacrificing the power would help. Odyssey's middle seat in the 2nd row folds down as a console with cup holders, Sienna's doesn't. The navigation/camera screen is clear hd, but it could be bigger. I'd love a cruise control that adjusts to the car in front. Review complained of cheap plastics and dash design. I somewhat disagree: though the plastics are hard, they're not touch surfaces and hopefully won't crack like the padded dashes of old. The texturing of the plastic is pleasing, not odd. Both Sienna and Odyssey skimp on the 3rd row seats substituting leatherette for leather. The yellow labels on the back of the 3rd row are ugly.

Practicality rendered in steel and plastic
By henry_bowman

2014 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our Sienna is the vehicle we should have gotten years ago instead of an SUV. It is incredibly practical despite its geeky image. The interior is often a sore spot in Sienna reviews, but many confuse a minivan with a Lexus sedan. The hard plastics in the Sienna are designed for contact with snot-nosed kids with their greasy popcorn hands. The interior of the Sienna is much easier to clean and will hold up better to hard use compared to something with soft-touch plastics. The Sienna does not have the reliability problems that the Odyssey has. Honda V6 powertrains have a history of eating transmissions and, lately, engines. Too bad, because the rest of the Odyssey is very nice.

Favorite Features

As mentioned, the interior is excellent, given what it was designed for. The third row folds and opens easily. One of my favorite features is the sliding second row. This allows for limo-like legroom in the second row. That's great if your kids are tall, or if they're in car seats. The tall kids get the legroom and the little kids won't be able to kick the back of your seat. It also means the B-pillar won't crowd you when you're trying to buckle the kids in. I thought the sliding doors were a gimmick at first, but they've proven themselves to be handy. They save time by allowing one child to get in on their own while I tend to the other. Power and handling are very good too.

Suggested Improvements

For the love of all that is holy, please bring back the transmission dipstick. The power steering is over-boosted at parking lot speeds but does stiffen up on the highway. The front doors sound cheap when they are closed, making a "boing" noise due to poor sound dampening. The OEM rubber floor mats do not allow for full-length sliding of the second row. It would be better if they were cut exactly the way the carpeted mats are. It would be better if the console that remains when the second row middle seat is taken out could be removed too. The black plastic LE grille looks cheap. Replace it with the SE mesh or Limited chrome grille.

2014 Sienna XLE w/o Nav/Entune
By defgoldvette47

2014 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purposely looked for a "base" XLE without Navigation/Entune or rear entertainment (DVD) to get the more comfortable leather seats (front only, rear softex) and minimize options which would be expensive to repair after warranty. This is my second Sienna, with a 2011 Odyssey purchased in between. I've read comments about the Odyssey being a better van, BUT my 2011 Touring ended up having transmission and engine issues, and it was an expensive vehicle. The Sienna has a great engine/trans combo, and the interior is very comfortable and spacious.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include great visibility, a huge cargo area, esp. with the third seat folded down, very comfortable seats, power rear quarter windows (when cracked open it promotes better flow through ventilation with the ac on), the ease of folding of the third row seat, the moveable second row seats to increase third row leg room, the power and torque of the V-6 engine mated with a great transmission, and the controlled and comfortable ride, even over broken pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the mast antenna (so 1980's....come on Toyota!), improve the feedback of the electric power steering, improve the dash plastics (I know its made for easy cleaning, but they are too hard, and make the dash look cheap), put in a better radio (same as my 2005 Sienna, my wife's standard Subaru Legacy has a much better radio), and increase the size of the back up/info screen (3.5 inches.....why bother?) to at least 6 inches. This is an XLE.....get rid of the cheap stuff without making us buy an expensive Limited.

A little disappointed
By mtc_va

2014 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Replaced a 2009 Oddy. Based on great 1999 Camry experience, expected the Sienna to be better. So far, not so good. The main problem is the speedometer is wrong. It overstates speed 3-5 MPH. Our dealer in Tyson Corner, VA says it's normal and Toyota seems to agree. Granted, better than understating speed, but not what I expect of Toyota. Another surprise I didn't notice pre-purchase is that the 2nd row seats don't completely remove from the car. There is a substantial harness that remains above the floor. Wouldn't be able to carry drywall for example without damaging it. Never occurred to me to check after flat floors in past 3 minivans - Honda and Dodges. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, interior design/refinement and storage, 8th seat option, Entune is pretty slick (wish we had skipped having Sirius tuner installed - Pandora is just as good and cheaper even factoring in cellular data cost), Bluetooth streaming lets kids watch videos on iPad with audio sent through car speakers - nice

Suggested Improvements

Fix speedometer accuracy issue; redesign 2nd row seats to avoid the bulging harness in the floor with seats removed; audio quality could be better; larger view screen for nav (I think 2015 fixed this)

Winter brake freeze
By kjp669

2014 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just returned from the Toyota dealer. I had made an appointment to repair the rear brakes that freeze every time the van is washed in winter. I was told by the service advisor not to wash the van when the temperature is below 32 degrees. I have owned several other mini vans & cars & have never heard of anyone being told not to wash your vehicle. We will never buy another Sienna again. It is a 2014 XLE and was purchased new.

Suggested Improvements

Repair rear brake winter freezing problems.