People mover
By saljack on
2012 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
My biggest concern in purchasing a minivan was gas mileage. I calibrated the odometer against my GPS (it was perfect!), and then waited until the vehicle had reached 1000 miles. Then I carefully measured fuel consumption for our "around town" (we live in a suburb, so our "around town" doesn't have lots of stop and go), and cross country on open roads. I noted that the mileage computer is exceptionally accurate...within .1 mpg of my calculated mpg. The results: Our town driving...22-23 mpg Highway (under the best circumstances possible)...26-27 mpg. Basically, for a vehicle of this size and power, and with an EPA rating of 18/25, I think this is pretty good, and I am satisfied.
Favorite Features
This car has 266HP, and it really shows in its performance. The six speed transmission also helps performance (as well as efficiency). Dashboard controls are fine, and the temp control works well. I really like the exendable sun visors. I am well over six feet tall, and I have the seat back all the way. With a side sun and no visor extension, I can't block the sun. But with the extension capability, I can. The steering seems to be very easy to use. Access to the third row is excellent along with the ease of folding those seats into the floor.
Suggested Improvements
The rear view video is okay, but I really miss the rear facing radar (proximity detector) I had before. I preferred that. Having proximity and tv would probably be nirvana. We have driveways that are the same slope at our "curbs", and right after we bought it, we backed out a little faster than a crawl and caught the front bumper panel on the curb. It pulled the thing half off the front! I was able to repair it myself, but I think they need less overhang in front. We solved that by backing even slower when we leave. Another thing; for a vehicle of this price, I think memory presets for at least the seats (if not the mirrors) would be appropriate.