2012 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews 2

2012 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

2012 Sienna Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Comfort & Spacious
By nag4

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought 2012 XLE FWD model last month. It is very spacious and more comfortable. I took test drive of equally loaded Highlander SE v6 FWD and compared it to Sienna. I felt the handling is better in Sienna. But, the pickup is good in Highlander. In terms of mpg, i guess Sienna gives 1 miles less than Highlander. My wife liked Odyssey. But, since we read bad reviews about its Wind noise and Transmission, we decided not to buy. That too equally loaded Odyssey ELX is expensive than Sienna XLE. But after buying Sienna, i realize that there is Wind noise & Road noise in this as well. But, it rides better and cheap with 2 year free maintenance.

Favorite Features

Pros: Comfort, Ride, Space Cons: Wind noise, MPG, Bluetooth Voice Recognition.

Suggested Improvements

The captain driver seat thigh support should be enhanced in next version. The seat base is small compared to other vehicles. Bluetooth Handsfree calling setup is cumbersome. Doesn't recognize phone numbers by voice and don't have a way to enter manually. IPhone doesn't have facility to beam contacts through Bluetooth.

Disappointed
By simpleuser

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Navigation System is very poorly designed. Not only it's not self-intuitive, but also seems to be buggy. Some times some of the options are grayed out, some other times the same options are available. That should not be happening. Also, I still have not been able to transfer my phone contacts - the process keeps failing. Another thing that's a bummer: it seems to be averaging 14 miles a gallon, though I drive half of the miles on the freeway about 70m/hr. Where is the promised 25 miles per gallon??? The storage spacing is a bit weird: I have 8 cup holders around me, but not much other type of storage.

Favorite Features

I do like the fact that I can sit 8 people and the sliding doors on sides. Very easy to sit children. It feels spacious, and the ride is smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the navigation system and storage.

People mover
By saljack

2012 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My biggest concern in purchasing a minivan was gas mileage. I calibrated the odometer against my GPS (it was perfect!), and then waited until the vehicle had reached 1000 miles. Then I carefully measured fuel consumption for our "around town" (we live in a suburb, so our "around town" doesn't have lots of stop and go), and cross country on open roads. I noted that the mileage computer is exceptionally accurate...within .1 mpg of my calculated mpg. The results: Our town driving...22-23 mpg Highway (under the best circumstances possible)...26-27 mpg. Basically, for a vehicle of this size and power, and with an EPA rating of 18/25, I think this is pretty good, and I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

This car has 266HP, and it really shows in its performance. The six speed transmission also helps performance (as well as efficiency). Dashboard controls are fine, and the temp control works well. I really like the exendable sun visors. I am well over six feet tall, and I have the seat back all the way. With a side sun and no visor extension, I can't block the sun. But with the extension capability, I can. The steering seems to be very easy to use. Access to the third row is excellent along with the ease of folding those seats into the floor.

Suggested Improvements

The rear view video is okay, but I really miss the rear facing radar (proximity detector) I had before. I preferred that. Having proximity and tv would probably be nirvana. We have driveways that are the same slope at our "curbs", and right after we bought it, we backed out a little faster than a crawl and caught the front bumper panel on the curb. It pulled the thing half off the front! I was able to repair it myself, but I think they need less overhang in front. We solved that by backing even slower when we leave. Another thing; for a vehicle of this price, I think memory presets for at least the seats (if not the mirrors) would be appropriate.

Third Sienna (Limited with convenience pkg., nav and entertainment pkg.)
By minivanmom123

2012 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I previously had a 2004 Limited, 2011 Limited and now the 2012 Limited. My 2011 Sienna was totaled (not our fault). I was very happy with how well the Toyota protected my entire family. My kids begged me to replace the 2011 with another Sienna. The Sienna drives well and feels like a luxury vehicle (as far as minivans go!). It's comfortable, drives smooth, has great features and proved to be a safe vehicle. The pickup power is good, the doors open smoothly and quietly. I looked at luxury SUV's and many didn't have all the features the limited Sienna had (and were $15K more.) Gas mileage in the city, for me, averages 18 according to the display monitor.

Favorite Features

Smart Key (a must have on all my future cars) HID headlights (convenience package) Lounge seats in second row Dual Sunroofs Power folding side mirrors Big DVD screen Toyota's Safety Connect (their version of OnStar) ...came in handy when our 2011 was in an accident Having the door controls in the center for both passenger and driver to control. This is such a nice feature. I once owned a 2008 Honda Odyssey touring and Honda had the controls on the left side of the steering wheel. I hated asking my husband to shut the back doors, etc. bc I couldn't reach the buttons from passenger seat.

Suggested Improvements

Add a blind spot indicator on mirrors. Hard drive radio would be nice. Softer materials on the dash. Granted, I only touched the dash I think on the day I first test drove it, but I know it gets low reviews from people. Since I rarely touch the dash, this doesn't bother me, but for $45,000, I think it could be a bit nicer.

Sienna 5K
By jbing123

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Approaching the first 5000 miles in our 2012 Sienna XLE - very pleased overall with the purchase. Averaging 20.2 MPG in mixed driving. Got as good as 23 on a recent road trip - fully loaded. Family is very pleased with the entertainment system and overall comfort. Bluetooth and XM/Sirius are fun. Only issue so far was a screw in one of the tires - no issues with van so far. Only real disappointment- Toyota autostart was installed at purchase- not so great- system only works if the car is locked and shuts off if you unlock - Autostart on my last vehicle would stay on until you put the key in the ignition which gives flexibility and doesn't require you to restart the car.

Favorite Features

Most definitely the extra wide video screen. With kids ranging from 2-10, it was great on a recent road trip to play a movie on one side of the screen while our playstation was playing on the other side. Seats are comfortable. Also it was smart design that you can still see out the rear view mirror with the widescreen open - nice touch! Bluetooth for phone and audio is nice and works well once it was set up (set up took a while). Lots of cup holders! Dual glove boxes are very helpful. Seats are comfortable. Engine is powerful and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

More luxurious feel for this price point would be nice - lots of plastic - dash does not hide marks well. Disappointed that the Entertainment package does not get the JBL sound upgrade but the Nav package does - seems backwards - but sound in the van is generally good. Would like to see some items like turn signal indicators in the mirrors and some softer 'pin' lights for seeing at night without turning on the interior lights. Driver leg room could be better. Smaller back up camera screen needs to be higher on the dash. Would like the low tire indicator to say which tire and not make me guess. Rear wiper is nice coming from the top but needs about 3 more inches of travel.

Very impressed with 2012 Sienna LE 8-psg V6
By bigedmundsfan

2012 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When my Odyssey died (transmission problem) I've decided to test drive a Sienna. Love it and bought it, and two weeks later I do not regret the decision (options: towing prep, floor mats, anti-theft.) The drive (handling and ease of turns) is excellent which is what I have not expected. The seats are very roomy and even the second-row middle-seat is fairly comfortable, the third-row bench's ability to recline is a nice touch. Ride is so comfortable that you don't feel like you're driving at a high speed so if you are a speedster, keep an eye on your speedometer. Acceleration is decent for a minivan and overall I would say it really up its game to rival Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Power windows for second-row pax. Window shades built-in for second-row pax. Third row bench reclines. Second-row seats can slide forward and backward. Good number of cup holders, and plenty of space to store your stuff.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest concern I have, and all family with children should note, is that the suppose safety-feature of power sliding doors are not that safe in my opinion. When you buy the car the salesman will make it seem like the door immediately slides backwards when it hit any obstacle (such as your child.) I personally did a test and was shock to find that if I just stand there and not apply a good force to push against the sliding door, the door keep sliding to a close taking me for a ride! Keep in mind I'm a healthy 220 pounds that work-out regularly. If the door hits me and kept going, I can't imagine what it will do to my kids should they accidentally be in this situation. Improve it!

Early thoughts on 2012 Sienna
By dwkreutzer

2012 Toyota Sienna 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since this is a first-week review, take it with a grain of salt. So far, it is excellent. We traded in an 8-year-old Sedona, so the impress-me hurdle is pretty low. Nevertheless, the Sienna is impressive even though we purchased the base model V6 with the only options being floor mats (why aren't they standard?) and towing prep. I'm 6'2" and found that all the seats (driver, second row, and third row) were able to accomodate me comfortably. I just returned from an 800-mile trip and couldn't get over how smooth and comfortable the ride/drive was. Averaged over 25 mpg. Powerful engine, great feeling brakes, and good-for-minivan steering. Felt very solid and stable.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Comfortable seats. Plenty of power. Smooth brakes. 25+ mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Back-up camera and center console might be worth paying the $$$ to move up from the base model. 4 speakers are not enough for a vehicle this size. In the front seat you can only hear the two that are up front.