Used 2012 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Loving it
By anonymous38

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car was an upgrade from our 2007 LE AWD model. I love this car. All of the nicer amenities are very well done. The steering is much nicer--not hard and trucky like our old one--and it handles well both on the highway and on country roads and city streets. The back up camera in the dash is very useful, something I didn't have before and wouldn't have thought I would like. The driver armrest is higher in this car than our old one, but it still bugs me that it is not adjustable apart from the seat back. The entertainment system is easy to use and keeps the kids happy. Love the side shades and the auto doors and back gate--I use all of those a lot.

Favorite Features

auto doors & back gate, satellite radio, 3-zone a/c, auto setting for headlights.

Suggested Improvements

The material the dash is made from seems a bit chintzy, but not really in a super noticeable way. I noticed it because I read another review on here that talked about it. The armrests need to be adjustable. The Odyssey has had adjustable armrests forever. I'm still not sure how I feel about the way the 2nd row seats adjust and are. I like the distance they are able to move, but I don't like the console thing in the middle when you remove the middle 2nd row seat. And, we got all weather mats and the 2nd row ones aren't nearly as good as the ones in my 07, which completely covered the floors. I worry that there isn't as much protection with these new ones and the tracks the seats are on.

Very disappointed
By rzuch

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am so disappointed with the Nav system in my 2012 Sienna, and even more disappointed that Toyota refuses to do anything about it. The Nav system makes poor decisions, often adding quite a bit of time to my trip. And I can't hear the instructions when the radio is on as it does not turn down the radio volume. My last car does this and that was purchased 7 years ago! Entunes is mostly worthless as it's dangerous for the driver to use it when the car is moving, so you're better off having the passenger use apps on a smartphone instead. The Toyota Nav system doesn't even change the time of day when moving into a different time zone. I'd be better off with a $150 Nav unit from Radio Shack.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy this car with the Navigation system or DVD option. It is a ripoff! Instead have an aftermarket system installed; you will get much better performance for a lot less money. Also consider not buying a Toyota vehicle at all as they have a "buyer beware" policy and will not stand behind these kinds of problems.

Sienna rattles
By superchicken

2012 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a sienna xle w prem package. After just 900 miles , we have rattles from the rear seats and the dash. Its been back to the dealer once, no fix and going back again. There are many others having similar issues. We're very disappointed. Quality is not there. We used to have a 2004 Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Nice engine and smooth shifting transmission. 8 seats, rear DVD system.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign 2nd and third row seats to eliminate rattles. Navigation system doesn't work well and was not worth the extra $$. There is much road and wind noise. Arm rests for driver and passenger are too narrow and do not adjust well.

very preliminary report
By chuckfromli

2012 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This report is after just 800+ miles, four tanks of gas, and one hand washing. The van is very quiet and comfortable. The powertrain, especially the transmission, is very smooth. Steering is silky smooth also. I'm happy with the purchase. Although you can't see any of the four corners of the van from the drivers seat, it does feel a lot more responsive and tossable than the 2004 we have.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, which I never cared about before having. Satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

Seats feel a bit hard, like they need more padding. Interior automatic day/night mirror should darken more and adjust more quickly to headlights.

Happy but...
By brooklynsienna

2012 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Leased the 2012 LE in December. Owned a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT prior. Some things we love about the Sienna: smooth ride, maneuvers well for a big van, comfortable seating, removable 8th seat, heat/cooling system terrific, reverse camera in dash, blueray & sound system work great with my iphone. Disappointments - a bit of a swimmer in handling on the highway and haven't averaged better than 14.4 mpg in the 6 months we've had it - even in highway drives. Not sure what gives with that, because others have reported over 23. Can two of the same vehicles really vary that much???!!! I'm going to ask about this at the 5K service.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

I know it's a big vehicle, but under 15 mpg is just not okay in this era!