Used 2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Most Helpful|
People mover
By saljack

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My biggest concern in purchasing a minivan was gas mileage. I calibrated the odometer against my GPS (it was perfect!), and then waited until the vehicle had reached 1000 miles. Then I carefully measured fuel consumption for our "around town" (we live in a suburb, so our "around town" doesn't have lots of stop and go), and cross country on open roads. I noted that the mileage computer is exceptionally accurate...within .1 mpg of my calculated mpg. The results: Our town driving...22-23 mpg Highway (under the best circumstances possible)...26-27 mpg. Basically, for a vehicle of this size and power, and with an EPA rating of 18/25, I think this is pretty good, and I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

This car has 266HP, and it really shows in its performance. The six speed transmission also helps performance (as well as efficiency). Dashboard controls are fine, and the temp control works well. I really like the exendable sun visors. I am well over six feet tall, and I have the seat back all the way. With a side sun and no visor extension, I can't block the sun. But with the extension capability, I can. The steering seems to be very easy to use. Access to the third row is excellent along with the ease of folding those seats into the floor.

Suggested Improvements

The rear view video is okay, but I really miss the rear facing radar (proximity detector) I had before. I preferred that. Having proximity and tv would probably be nirvana. We have driveways that are the same slope at our "curbs", and right after we bought it, we backed out a little faster than a crawl and caught the front bumper panel on the curb. It pulled the thing half off the front! I was able to repair it myself, but I think they need less overhang in front. We solved that by backing even slower when we leave. Another thing; for a vehicle of this price, I think memory presets for at least the seats (if not the mirrors) would be appropriate.

Very impressed with 2012 Sienna LE 8-psg V6
By bigedmundsfan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When my Odyssey died (transmission problem) I've decided to test drive a Sienna. Love it and bought it, and two weeks later I do not regret the decision (options: towing prep, floor mats, anti-theft.) The drive (handling and ease of turns) is excellent which is what I have not expected. The seats are very roomy and even the second-row middle-seat is fairly comfortable, the third-row bench's ability to recline is a nice touch. Ride is so comfortable that you don't feel like you're driving at a high speed so if you are a speedster, keep an eye on your speedometer. Acceleration is decent for a minivan and overall I would say it really up its game to rival Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Power windows for second-row pax. Window shades built-in for second-row pax. Third row bench reclines. Second-row seats can slide forward and backward. Good number of cup holders, and plenty of space to store your stuff.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest concern I have, and all family with children should note, is that the suppose safety-feature of power sliding doors are not that safe in my opinion. When you buy the car the salesman will make it seem like the door immediately slides backwards when it hit any obstacle (such as your child.) I personally did a test and was shock to find that if I just stand there and not apply a good force to push against the sliding door, the door keep sliding to a close taking me for a ride! Keep in mind I'm a healthy 220 pounds that work-out regularly. If the door hits me and kept going, I can't imagine what it will do to my kids should they accidentally be in this situation. Improve it!

Why I bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna
By vanperson

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan SE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven vans since 1976, starting with a Ford Econoline 150 followed by a string of 5 Chrysler minivans. In 2006, I purchased an new Oddesey EX-L . It was by far the best minivan I had ever owned. After posting nearly 90,000 mi of mostly trouble-free driving, some periodic transmission slippage prompted me to go shopping. I loved the Oddesey styling except its face that resembled a 2001 Oddesey. I also liked the style of Siennas. In short, Honda wouldn't deal and Toyota was eager. Still leary of the Sienna, I took a long test drive in both an XLE and a SE. The SE drove much like the Honda. The dealer added a light grey leather interior, awesome! Happy at 20K miles and 0% financing.

Favorite Features

Less road noise than Honda. Solid feeling brakes that don't fade like my 2006 Honda. Seat belts that retract without encouragement. Color coordinated outside rearview mirrors and spoiler, not basic black like 2012 Honda. Rear window wiper hidden under spoiler. Rear sliding door track just below rear side window so it is invisible. Dual glove compartments. Great radio and sound system. Comfortable front seats with great lumbar support. 2nd row seats that slide forward for easy rear access and mucho leg room when back. The SE is fun to drive just like Oddy. User friendly A/C and speed controls. Storage compartment for extra second row middle seat. A vastly improved exterior styling from 2010

Suggested Improvements

Offer factory leather interior on SE. Get rid of outside radio antenna and put in window or with XM receiver like Lexus SUV. Bigger or adjustable cup holders for driver to accommodate a mug. Bigger screen for back-up camera. Softer plastics on dash. SE steering and suspension for all Siennas. Hooks on front of center counsel to attach a liter bag.

very preliminary report
By chuckfromli

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This report is after just 800+ miles, four tanks of gas, and one hand washing. The van is very quiet and comfortable. The powertrain, especially the transmission, is very smooth. Steering is silky smooth also. I'm happy with the purchase. Although you can't see any of the four corners of the van from the drivers seat, it does feel a lot more responsive and tossable than the 2004 we have.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, which I never cared about before having. Satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

Seats feel a bit hard, like they need more padding. Interior automatic day/night mirror should darken more and adjust more quickly to headlights.

Sienna after 2 years
By tater_skins

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After two years the 2012 Sienna is doing its job. There have not been any quality issues and my kids love having their own sliding doors. Here are some things to consider if you are looking at getting this used. 1) This vehicle eats tires. Even rotating every 5k like recommended and it'll probably need a new set at 25k. 2) Drivers seat arm rest is way too high, and doesn't even line up with the rest built into the door! So uncomfortable it is not used 3) I infrequently pull a trailer weighing roughly 2500lbs and the V6 is not a strong as I'd like. Van is rated for 3500lbs, that would be a stretch with any hills. 4) Gas mileage never lives up to billing. In MN winters it gets 16mpg combined

Favorite Features

-Sliding doors -Great visibility -Awesome amount of space for hauling stuff

Suggested Improvements

As stated above: -driver seat inside arm rest -poor tire wear even with suggested maintenance -mileage not fitting expectations, especially in winter