2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Why I bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna
By vanperson on 01/21/13 16:43 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan SE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven vans since 1976, starting with a Ford Econoline 150 followed by a string of 5 Chrysler minivans. In 2006, I purchased an new Oddesey EX-L . It was by far the best minivan I had ever owned. After posting nearly 90,000 mi of mostly trouble-free driving, some periodic transmission slippage prompted me to go shopping. I loved the Oddesey styling except its face that resembled a 2001 Oddesey. I also liked the style of Siennas. In short, Honda wouldn't deal and Toyota was eager. Still leary of the Sienna, I took a long test drive in both an XLE and a SE. The SE drove much like the Honda. The dealer added a light grey leather interior, awesome! Happy at 20K miles and 0% financing.

On our 2nd Sienna
By t1no33 on 08/24/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We LOVE this van. Just got our 2nd one not to long ago. Our only real complaints are: - road noise on the highway is AWFUL - almost sounds like you have a window open - this was mentioned in consumer reports - no arm rest on both sides of the captains chairs Other than these two things this van is great on long roadtrips and just around town. You can't go wrong with it and our 2011 held its value so much we were able to get a 2012 at lower payment cause we had equity in a car.

Loving it
By anonymous38 on 08/12/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car was an upgrade from our 2007 LE AWD model. I love this car. All of the nicer amenities are very well done. The steering is much nicer--not hard and trucky like our old one--and it handles well both on the highway and on country roads and city streets. The back up camera in the dash is very useful, something I didn't have before and wouldn't have thought I would like. The driver armrest is higher in this car than our old one, but it still bugs me that it is not adjustable apart from the seat back. The entertainment system is easy to use and keeps the kids happy. Love the side shades and the auto doors and back gate--I use all of those a lot.

Very disappointed
By rzuch on 08/04/12 09:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am so disappointed with the Nav system in my 2012 Sienna, and even more disappointed that Toyota refuses to do anything about it. The Nav system makes poor decisions, often adding quite a bit of time to my trip. And I can't hear the instructions when the radio is on as it does not turn down the radio volume. My last car does this and that was purchased 7 years ago! Entunes is mostly worthless as it's dangerous for the driver to use it when the car is moving, so you're better off having the passenger use apps on a smartphone instead. The Toyota Nav system doesn't even change the time of day when moving into a different time zone. I'd be better off with a $150 Nav unit from Radio Shack.

Sienna rattles
By superchicken on 06/22/12 19:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a sienna xle w prem package. After just 900 miles , we have rattles from the rear seats and the dash. Its been back to the dealer once, no fix and going back again. There are many others having similar issues. We're very disappointed. Quality is not there. We used to have a 2004 Odyssey.

very preliminary report
By chuckfromli on 05/19/12 07:05 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This report is after just 800+ miles, four tanks of gas, and one hand washing. The van is very quiet and comfortable. The powertrain, especially the transmission, is very smooth. Steering is silky smooth also. I'm happy with the purchase. Although you can't see any of the four corners of the van from the drivers seat, it does feel a lot more responsive and tossable than the 2004 we have.

Happy but...
By brooklynsienna on 05/17/12 18:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Leased the 2012 LE in December. Owned a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT prior. Some things we love about the Sienna: smooth ride, maneuvers well for a big van, comfortable seating, removable 8th seat, heat/cooling system terrific, reverse camera in dash, blueray & sound system work great with my iphone. Disappointments - a bit of a swimmer in handling on the highway and haven't averaged better than 14.4 mpg in the 6 months we've had it - even in highway drives. Not sure what gives with that, because others have reported over 23. Can two of the same vehicles really vary that much???!!! I'm going to ask about this at the 5K service.

Loving it so far
By mbillo on 05/06/12 21:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After the eternal debate between the Ody & Sienna, we finally settled on the Sienna XLE FWD with Navi. Loving it so far. Took a couple of 100+ mile trips and the family loves the spaciousness. Mileage has creeped up from 13.x to 18.x (in approx 500miles). Interior is OK and could do with a few value based additions like mood lighting.

Comfort & Spacious
By nag4 on 05/05/12 19:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought 2012 XLE FWD model last month. It is very spacious and more comfortable. I took test drive of equally loaded Highlander SE v6 FWD and compared it to Sienna. I felt the handling is better in Sienna. But, the pickup is good in Highlander. In terms of mpg, i guess Sienna gives 1 miles less than Highlander. My wife liked Odyssey. But, since we read bad reviews about its Wind noise and Transmission, we decided not to buy. That too equally loaded Odyssey ELX is expensive than Sienna XLE. But after buying Sienna, i realize that there is Wind noise & Road noise in this as well. But, it rides better and cheap with 2 year free maintenance.

Disappointed
By simpleuser on 03/29/12 13:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Navigation System is very poorly designed. Not only it's not self-intuitive, but also seems to be buggy. Some times some of the options are grayed out, some other times the same options are available. That should not be happening. Also, I still have not been able to transfer my phone contacts - the process keeps failing. Another thing that's a bummer: it seems to be averaging 14 miles a gallon, though I drive half of the miles on the freeway about 70m/hr. Where is the promised 25 miles per gallon??? The storage spacing is a bit weird: I have 8 cup holders around me, but not much other type of storage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan in VA is:

$133 per month*