Used 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Great So Far
By rs118

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Never had a car this big so it's easy to love the huge space. Captains chairs are great for the toddlers. Third row works for two large adults after configuring all seats. Really nice inside. Much smoother and quieter than the Odyssey I'm familiar with and tested. 13,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Occasionally when starting the van, the JBL stereo lights are off and the volume knob won't work. Using volume on the steering wheel seems to correct it. Engine is a little loud, seems like a loud exhaust note at times, but quiet when cruising. Tires wearing quickly. Only 17 mpg in city driving. People don't hear us well on Bluetooth, cheap no-name aftermarket is better.

Favorite Features

Power doors and lift gate, deep trunk space behind third row, built-in sunshades, smooth quite ride. For a family van, why look for agility and handling if you must sacrifice a significant amount of quiet and comfort or space? Especially when the choices with agility and handling are slower?

Suggested Improvements

Slightly bigger 17" tires or perhaps 18". Better quality stereo / bluetooth option. Easier options packages. Hood shocks, but the hood is pretty short. Since it has power doors, and the stereo light is on the blink, I'll look into an extended warranty. Should have got one before the recalls!

Wish I would have kept my caravan
By minivan mom

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2005 Grand Caravan in on the 2009 Toyota sienna because everyone told me they have the best quality (WRONG). It's been in the shop more than I have owned it with motor and trans issues and the elusive noise they can't seem to find. Give me back my grand caravan.

look

Suggested Improvements

Better quality, better drive train, better interior.

Loving our new car!!
By mruiz1495

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best minivan period! I love the roominess of the Sienna inside, the handling is OK, and performance is great.

Favorite Features

Dual Power Sliding Doors, Power rear hatch. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Good for long distance travel
By Laugh2

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the vehicle to replace an older Sienna. We have driven it more than 17,000 miles and have had no issues with the van. Good acceleration, comfortable on long trips and great mileage (as much as 26+ on a 1800 mile trip). We like the bluetooth and navigation system, backup camera and automatic side doors and rear gate. Smooth and comfortable ride with great turning radius.

Favorite Features

Multiple use navigation system, backup camera and automatic rear gate. Comfortable seats and great space.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot operate the navigation when driving even with a passenger (should sense passenger and allow entry of new address etc.). Still have not figured out some of the navigation features. The system is not as intuitive as some others I have used or even when compared to our Garmin.

So far, so good!
By Dave

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third van (the other two were a Ford and an Olds) and the Toyota is definitely the best riding. Build quality is excellent and the engine very smooth and powerful. At this point I have no complaints, but have high expectations based on Toyota's reputation. Will keep you updated.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth connection, six CD changer, excellent looking instruments, lots of storage, very comfortable seats and ride, excellent build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Middle vents on dash have no shut off.