Used 2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

You would think I would be happy.
By spadedevil

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a 1996 Chrysler Town & Country to a 2009 Toyota Sienna. It feels like every time I turn around some little thing is breaking. It just doesn't seem like the quality that I was expecting is there. Stupid little things bothered me at first. Things that were on my 1996 I had expected would be standard by 2009. Memory seats, light in the glove box, turn signal control lights. As I drive it more things started to break. Folding seat in the back wont fold. Power adapter in the rear of the vehicle clips broke and pushed inside the wall, sliding door seal started coming off. Sliding door sometimes decides not to work. Thankfully nothing engine wise yet, but I don't have much won't

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

Look at the Town & Country and put the same features in. Build the car with long term use in mind.

isn't holding up well
By wmau

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the sienna only because of the 8 seater and the local dealer offers a life time guarantee on the transmission. Everything seems to need to be replaced just as the warrenty runs out - brakes, tires, etc.. This spring (only 1 1/2 year old car) the left passenger door broke and recently at less than 2 years old the right side broke. The estimate is over $4000 to fix them. The reason I was told is that we drive too much. Dealer informed us that we should only be driving 13k miles per year.

Suggested Improvements

Parts that last longer. Recently read that the average suburban commuter drives 32k miles per year; we live in the country. Make a car that lasts longer or up the warrenty. If a door can't last at least 2 years something is wrong.

Great So Far
By rs118

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Never had a car this big so it's easy to love the huge space. Captains chairs are great for the toddlers. Third row works for two large adults after configuring all seats. Really nice inside. Much smoother and quieter than the Odyssey I'm familiar with and tested. 13,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Occasionally when starting the van, the JBL stereo lights are off and the volume knob won't work. Using volume on the steering wheel seems to correct it. Engine is a little loud, seems like a loud exhaust note at times, but quiet when cruising. Tires wearing quickly. Only 17 mpg in city driving. People don't hear us well on Bluetooth, cheap no-name aftermarket is better.

Favorite Features

Power doors and lift gate, deep trunk space behind third row, built-in sunshades, smooth quite ride. For a family van, why look for agility and handling if you must sacrifice a significant amount of quiet and comfort or space? Especially when the choices with agility and handling are slower?

Suggested Improvements

Slightly bigger 17" tires or perhaps 18". Better quality stereo / bluetooth option. Easier options packages. Hood shocks, but the hood is pretty short. Since it has power doors, and the stereo light is on the blink, I'll look into an extended warranty. Should have got one before the recalls!

Hate it!
By Kimberli

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in our 2002 "Jalopy" Grand Caravan for this van. It is my first brand new car EVEr! I am so disappointed in the reliability. I've had a front end noise that dlrshp can't duplicate, my brake/accelerator footpad shivers at certain speeds and in certain road conditions. Again dlrshp cannot duplicate. Most importantly, long road trips 4+ hours are horrible. The "lumbar support" is unsupportive and lower back hurts after just 2 hours!

Favorite Features

Sliding passenger doors and fold down 3rd row

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support! Pay attention to quality vs. quantity Toyoda-san. Hai domo arigato gozaimasu.

Gas Mileage
By gl2238

2009 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very distressed at the fuel economy. Driving around Henderson, NV local driving average fuel economy is less than 8/9 mpg. On the freeway at constant speed i.e. 70 mph, fuel economy 14 mpg is the norm. My 1999 Yukon with the 350 gets 18/19 mph hwy. Overall the car is exceptional in ride and quality. Severe power limitations with Toyota battery. Insufficient reserve power to start car after door or other accessory has been on. I routinely have to jump start or charge the battery. I have been back to the dealer twice to check battery drain or if defective batteries.

Favorite Features

Interior layout and cargo capacity with the 2nd row out and 3rd row folded down. When we travel, cargo is in back and two 90lb labs take up the middle.

Suggested Improvements

Increase size of battery. It is severely limited in capacity considering everything on my vehicle is electrical and there are many courtesy lights on when door(s) are opened.