2009 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
You would think I would be happy.
By spadedevil on 04/02/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a 1996 Chrysler Town & Country to a 2009 Toyota Sienna. It feels like every time I turn around some little thing is breaking. It just doesn't seem like the quality that I was expecting is there. Stupid little things bothered me at first. Things that were on my 1996 I had expected would be standard by 2009. Memory seats, light in the glove box, turn signal control lights. As I drive it more things started to break. Folding seat in the back wont fold. Power adapter in the rear of the vehicle clips broke and pushed inside the wall, sliding door seal started coming off. Sliding door sometimes decides not to work. Thankfully nothing engine wise yet, but I don't have much won't

isn't holding up well
By wmau on 09/28/11 05:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the sienna only because of the 8 seater and the local dealer offers a life time guarantee on the transmission. Everything seems to need to be replaced just as the warrenty runs out - brakes, tires, etc.. This spring (only 1 1/2 year old car) the left passenger door broke and recently at less than 2 years old the right side broke. The estimate is over $4000 to fix them. The reason I was told is that we drive too much. Dealer informed us that we should only be driving 13k miles per year.

Great So Far
By rs118 on 04/28/10 23:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Never had a car this big so it's easy to love the huge space. Captains chairs are great for the toddlers. Third row works for two large adults after configuring all seats. Really nice inside. Much smoother and quieter than the Odyssey I'm familiar with and tested. 13,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Occasionally when starting the van, the JBL stereo lights are off and the volume knob won't work. Using volume on the steering wheel seems to correct it. Engine is a little loud, seems like a loud exhaust note at times, but quiet when cruising. Tires wearing quickly. Only 17 mpg in city driving. People don't hear us well on Bluetooth, cheap no-name aftermarket is better.

Hate it!
By Kimberli on 04/22/10 19:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in our 2002 "Jalopy" Grand Caravan for this van. It is my first brand new car EVEr! I am so disappointed in the reliability. I've had a front end noise that dlrshp can't duplicate, my brake/accelerator footpad shivers at certain speeds and in certain road conditions. Again dlrshp cannot duplicate. Most importantly, long road trips 4+ hours are horrible. The "lumbar support" is unsupportive and lower back hurts after just 2 hours!

Gas Mileage
By gl2238 on 03/11/10 19:46 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very distressed at the fuel economy. Driving around Henderson, NV local driving average fuel economy is less than 8/9 mpg. On the freeway at constant speed i.e. 70 mph, fuel economy 14 mpg is the norm. My 1999 Yukon with the 350 gets 18/19 mph hwy. Overall the car is exceptional in ride and quality. Severe power limitations with Toyota battery. Insufficient reserve power to start car after door or other accessory has been on. I routinely have to jump start or charge the battery. I have been back to the dealer twice to check battery drain or if defective batteries.

Wish I would have kept my caravan
By minivan mom on 11/27/09 13:36 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2005 Grand Caravan in on the 2009 Toyota sienna because everyone told me they have the best quality (WRONG). It's been in the shop more than I have owned it with motor and trans issues and the elusive noise they can't seem to find. Give me back my grand caravan.

Toyota...American Stye
By chastek on 11/20/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our van serves as daily people hauler and weekend plaything for a family with four kids. It's very roomy with plenty of interior storage and cleverly designed seats. The fit and finish is not as good as our Lexus, but is probably better than average. The powertrain is super smooth and it never lacks for power, even when fully loaded. We average 22mpg in mixed driving.

Loving our new car!!
By mruiz1495 on 10/22/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best minivan period! I love the roominess of the Sienna inside, the handling is OK, and performance is great.

My Very First Van! My 6th Toyota!
By carlady on 10/17/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Being price conscious we opted for the CE model. It has all the features we need. We didn't need a van when our children were young, but need it for the grandchildren. Two weeks after we purchased the van, we took a 2000 mile road trip. That was when we truly fell in love with this van. We grew to appreciate the comfort of the seats and the handling of the van. It is amazingly easy to park and gets adequate mileage on a trip. We got 26- 28 mpg on a trip. In town we get an average of 20 mpg. We keep wondering why we didn't get a Sienna years ago!

Outstanding
By bobsienna on 09/11/09 17:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle that I have ever had. It is very comfortable and a joy to drive. There is plenty of room to carry things. I wish I had it when my kids were in college to haul many pairs of shoes. It gets good mileage on the highway but not so good in town, however I drove a PT Cruiser for a few days and only got 2 MPG better mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Sienna in VA is:

$118 per month*