2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Review: Weak Shifting, Steering and Mi

2008 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Review

Weak Shifting, Steering and Mileage
By John on

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Acceptable performance at best. Sadly disappointed in several key features. Shifting at low engine speeds frequently causes unacceptable shift quality from 1st to 2nd gear. Intermittent but you see it way too often. Very poor gas mileage. I assume many of those who post good mileage are relying upon their electronic readout in the van. My inaccurate readout tells me I get 26+ MPG highway while the gas pump says 21 MPG at best. Same or worse mileage in town than if I drive our 10 year old beater Plymouth van! The engine change Toyota made in their vans a few years back provides twice the noise of the previous engine. The steering is acceptable at best but the weakest of any brand we drove.

Overall comfort, and performance. I can only hope Toyota lives up to its reputation for dependability. That was the primary reason for our purchasing this brand. Still within 500 miles it's had two minor electronic issues already.

Transmission shift points at low speeds need drastic improvement. Often winds out in first gear. Steering is weak but acceptable. Engine noise too loud for today's technologies. Toyota still has one of the best products out there but they won't for long if they keep letting things slip this badly.