Bad Rear A/C line, low quality tire, and bad rear most mirror molding
By nk_17 on
2008 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Bought Toyota Sienna 2008. Today is July 6, 2012. About ~4.25 year and 39000 miles, and facing following problems already: 1) Rear A/C line leaks. Dealer said it was due to rust after leak test. Then I request to see myself and saw oily residue on rear passenger side tire area. No rust at all. Dealer said, originally, line will have to be replaced. Then I think he had a slip of tounge and said leaky o-ring. Whatever it is. The cost to repair is $900. I went ahead with the repair since dealer (Elmhurst Toyota, IL -chicago area) scared me that it could damage the compressor if oil keep leaking. 2) both sides vent window molding falling $85 each to repair 3) original tires lasted only 30k.
Favorite Features
continuing list of problems, 4) CD changer was not rotating was stuck before 3yr warranty so they fix that for free 5) Believe head lights are not bright enough and has dark sides - cant see in dark if you are camping when turning 6) Tire holding wire was recalled and the spare is below the van - imagine removing from below in Chicago winter particularly when there is snow on roads 7) All windows have this marking. I am thinking it is rubber molding melting on the window glass when window is closed. Very disappoint experience with Toyota.
Suggested Improvements
-Toyota need to stay up with their quality also not just selling more cars -Toyota should recall this rear AC lines problem. Have seen many complain on internet regarding this.
By 8isenuf
on 07/18/12 12:29 PM (PDT)

Wow, exactly the same problem we are having, 2008 sienna, last year under warranty we had one ac line replaced...this summer, due to corrosion of lines, we have 3 lines needing replacement..toyota and th dealer offered a good will plan and paid 50% of the cost, it still cost us over $1900.00 in parts and repairs...can't imagine paying the full $4,000.00.. But, for a 3 year old van with only 52,000 kms on it, this is obviously a design flaw. Apparently these connections are behind a wheel hub, that, obviously allows debris, salt, snow to corrode these lines. I contacted Toyota Canada and Toyota U.S. to no avail, they claim that this is not an issue with many Siennas?! I explained we have had Toyotas in the same house, driving on the same roads for the past 20 years, and, have never had this issue...we were thrilled with Toyota....until now....