Used 2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Very Good...Could be better
By sabadir

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2010 w 45K miles. It has 119k now and is in very good shape. Its a great and comfortable car. It keeps me safe and gets through all the weather. Its pretty darn comfortable too. I feel safe in it and frankly I like it. I have a Yakima roof rack and I added a 2" trailer hitch to pull a small trailer. Its perfect for me and my two kids.

Favorite Features

Holds everything. Is super comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Here are the things that kinda make me mad. 1. Tire life sucks. I got rid of the run flats and went to a used tire place to buy a spare that I carry on long trips. If I get a flat in town I will have them tow me to Costco. I bought some 90K mile Michelin Defenders at 69K. I am having them replaced today, 40K short of their warranty. 2. I have the NAV system. Nothing pisses me off more than this. I cannot enter an address manually when driving. Neither can my passenger. This was decided by their lawyers. 3. The seats and back bench recline, but not to a fully flat position. That would be awesome.

2008 Sienna. Lost trust in Toyota
By kevin191

2008 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I own a 2008 Sienna bought brand new. Currently has 114k.(71k miles) All maintenance completed as per Toyota scheduling. Recall and or Warranty history: Rear door struts, vibrating radio speaker, roof trim pulling off, 02 sensor, spare tire cable, transmission shift solenoid. Repairs I performed myself as a journeyman mechanic: water pump @90k km. Same 02 sensor they replaced on Warranty and would not cover again. Transmission input speed sensor. This van does not inspire confidence. I drive around with my obd2 scanner in the van just in case of a C.E.L.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota's quality control on this van is slack at best. Improve quality control.

Could be a lot better
By graysienna

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this used model (2008) from the Toyota dealer with 70K on it. The price was reasonable. The interior is poor. The rear passenger air turns on and off intermittently without anyone turning on. I read a lot of similar complaints on the ToyotaSienna online forum. The dealer said it is what it is (as is condition). I tried to look up for the solution, no solution found. The seats are poor quality. The hand rest for all seats are poorly built. It is really not so convenient for the driver to use the hand rest (Right). The center console between the driver and passenger could have been made better (which I suppose is now taken care in the new model). Poor quality seat belts.

Favorite Features

Automatic sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

Rear passenger blower, center console, seats and their respective hand rest. Above all the quality of the seat belts. Take too much of rubber (frequent new tires). Rubber seals around the door comes off very often. Needs to be built with better quality.

It's great at what it tries to do.
By lenan

2008 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As far as people carrying minivans go, it really doesn't get a whole lot better than this. For one, this is a very comfortable and roomy car. The leather seats are pretty good and the ride is silky smooth. Gas mileage isn't very good (We've average about 18-19 mpg mostly on the highway), but that's the price you pay for having a large vehicle with a V6 and AWD. Speaking of the V6, it's a quality engine. It generally revs very smoothly and there's more power on tap than anyone driving a minivan needs. So far it's been quite reliable reliable. There have been no big repair costs outside of general maintenance.

Favorite Features

It's got a surprisingly tight turning circle for such a big car, which is always nice, and on the road it feels a bit smaller than it actually is. Noise is fairly minimal, and as I mentioned the engine and ride leave little to be desired.

Suggested Improvements

The steering and handling in general is incredibly numb and boring, as one would expect from Toyota's electric steering system - it's obviously not supposed to be a sports car, but the Odyssey does manage to be surprisingly fun. The transmission is okay but it takes its sweet time choosing gears. Fit and finish in a few areas is iffy- there are some various plastic pieces that like to come loose and the occasional rattling that comes and goes, not to mention the glovebox doesn't always like to stay closed.

Love the car, not the service
By aramf

2008 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are a family of 5 and really love having this van. The mpg is great, the accelation and breaks are great and driving it is just like driving a sedan. We love this car. THe issue we don't like is that this car has cold start rattling issue. And a lot of people complaing about it, yet Toyota dealers for the most part say it is a normal noise. The possible culprits for that are lifter problems, upper engine oil seal that keep the oil from draining into the bottom pan and variable valve timing oil hose. Basically the valves are not lubricated at cold start and that's what causes the noise. Still dealing with toyota to resolve this. The car wa hardy 37000 miles when the problem started.

Favorite Features

steering wheel radio controls

Suggested Improvements

I am 6 foot tall and I cannot see the upper part of the speedometer over the top of the steering wheel.