Used 2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Hate this minivan.
By Davis

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van new in 2008 and have treated it well. Initially liked it well enough, though lack of flat area on center console was very annoying. However, even from the beginning, poor craftsmanship/materials were evident. Things started breaking within a year. Pieces of trim coming unglued and hanging off, buttons breaking, etc. - those little things that drive you nuts. I had to replace the factory standard tires and battery far sooner than I should have. Cabin noise has also increased significantly since purchase. For the past 5 years I have had a gurgling behind the steering column that no mechanic has ever been able to identify, including Toyota dealership. Van has begun to shimmy and vibrate over 50 mph, which no mechanic has been able to fix. But more concerning is the handling in all weather that is the least bit damp. Despite trying various types of tires, and driving well within the speed dictated by road conditions, the van has significant issues with lack of traction and hydroplaning. Even pulling out at a light on slightly damp roads can cause the wheels to slip. If wet weather is bad, snow is even worse. I have gotten to the point that I just don't drive the vehicle in inclement weather. The only reason I have kept the van is that I only see myself needing a van for another couple years. Once the kids are out of college you no longer need that size vehicle. So I park it on my driveway and use it only when my Honda CRV just isn't big enough.

Expensive, but worth it.
By jamie_z

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited from Carmax with 112,000 miles on it. I've owned it now for three weeks. I'm fairly impressed. Overall gas mileage is a tick under 20 mpg. I'm a single guy with no kids and I drive a minivan, but I'm ok with that. This one is pretty nice and it holds a lot of stuff when I need it to. Superbly flexible and comfortable accommodations for any number of people. It's an expensive car compared to the competition, but hopefully with the Toyota reputation, it'll last a long time.

The seating arrangement gives plenty of options, including moving the center console to the second row, moving or removing the second row seats, and of course the 60/40 third row folds down. Lots of power options. Rear climate control. DVD player. Leather seats. Visibility is impressive for such a large vehicle.

I wish the A/C blower had a lower setting. At the lowest fan speed, it still blows pretty strong from the dash vents. There's a lot of wind and road noise while driving. I didn't expect this. Perhaps quieter tires might help. I don't like that there's no way to keep the radio information visible on the screen. When you change stations or volume, there's a little dropdown on the screen, but then it goes away to show the navigation. I want it to display the station info. Needs second row power outlets. How did they miss that?

Very Good...Could be better
By sabadir

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2010 w 45K miles. It has 119k now and is in very good shape. Its a great and comfortable car. It keeps me safe and gets through all the weather. Its pretty darn comfortable too. I feel safe in it and frankly I like it. I have a Yakima roof rack and I added a 2" trailer hitch to pull a small trailer. Its perfect for me and my two kids.

Holds everything. Is super comfortable.

Here are the things that kinda make me mad. 1. Tire life sucks. I got rid of the run flats and went to a used tire place to buy a spare that I carry on long trips. If I get a flat in town I will have them tow me to Costco. I bought some 90K mile Michelin Defenders at 69K. I am having them replaced today, 40K short of their warranty. 2. I have the NAV system. Nothing pisses me off more than this. I cannot enter an address manually when driving. Neither can my passenger. This was decided by their lawyers. 3. The seats and back bench recline, but not to a fully flat position. That would be awesome.

2008 Sienna. Lost trust in Toyota
By kevin191

2008 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I own a 2008 Sienna bought brand new. Currently has 114k.(71k miles) All maintenance completed as per Toyota scheduling. Recall and or Warranty history: Rear door struts, vibrating radio speaker, roof trim pulling off, 02 sensor, spare tire cable, transmission shift solenoid. Repairs I performed myself as a journeyman mechanic: water pump @90k km. Same 02 sensor they replaced on Warranty and would not cover again. Transmission input speed sensor. This van does not inspire confidence. I drive around with my obd2 scanner in the van just in case of a C.E.L.

Toyota's quality control on this van is slack at best. Improve quality control.

Could be a lot better
By graysienna

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this used model (2008) from the Toyota dealer with 70K on it. The price was reasonable. The interior is poor. The rear passenger air turns on and off intermittently without anyone turning on. I read a lot of similar complaints on the ToyotaSienna online forum. The dealer said it is what it is (as is condition). I tried to look up for the solution, no solution found. The seats are poor quality. The hand rest for all seats are poorly built. It is really not so convenient for the driver to use the hand rest (Right). The center console between the driver and passenger could have been made better (which I suppose is now taken care in the new model). Poor quality seat belts.

Automatic sliding doors

Rear passenger blower, center console, seats and their respective hand rest. Above all the quality of the seat belts. Take too much of rubber (frequent new tires). Rubber seals around the door comes off very often. Needs to be built with better quality.

• SUV