Used 2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Good but test drive with care
By cos

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The interior and exterior quality are excellent with no problems. It handles well and acceleration is very good; overall, a reliable and comfortable vehicle. But a vibration telegraphs into the engine compartment while gears shift and over the road making for a tiring drive; transmission slips at low speeds. Driveability is on the low end for a new vehicle. (Be careful when test driving and take nothing for granted.) Vehicle is 1 year old with fifteen thousand miles; 14 to 17 mpg around town, broke 30 mpg over the road once, now barely breaks 20. Test drive with care and get one of the good ones. (Will think twice about another Toyota vehicle.)

Favorite Features

Very good build quality inside and out. Very good reliability. Comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

More attention paid it seems to fit and finish rather than quality of drive train components.

Weak Shifting, Steering and Mileage
By John

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Acceptable performance at best. Sadly disappointed in several key features. Shifting at low engine speeds frequently causes unacceptable shift quality from 1st to 2nd gear. Intermittent but you see it way too often. Very poor gas mileage. I assume many of those who post good mileage are relying upon their electronic readout in the van. My inaccurate readout tells me I get 26+ MPG highway while the gas pump says 21 MPG at best. Same or worse mileage in town than if I drive our 10 year old beater Plymouth van! The engine change Toyota made in their vans a few years back provides twice the noise of the previous engine. The steering is acceptable at best but the weakest of any brand we drove.

Favorite Features

Overall comfort, and performance. I can only hope Toyota lives up to its reputation for dependability. That was the primary reason for our purchasing this brand. Still within 500 miles it's had two minor electronic issues already.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shift points at low speeds need drastic improvement. Often winds out in first gear. Steering is weak but acceptable. Engine noise too loud for today's technologies. Toyota still has one of the best products out there but they won't for long if they keep letting things slip this badly.

Great van for a growing family.
By Robert Cartland

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are expecting our third child soon and needed a larger vehicle. We chose the Sienna primarily because it is the only van to offer eight useful seats -- the 8th seat offered by the Odyssey is too small to be useful. We also like how the center seat can be moved forward for easy access to our expected baby. Add Toyota's powerful V6 (with a timing chain versus a belt) and better real life gas millage and the Sienna was for us. We have been enjoying our van, including a trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. It was great being able to bring along the kid's bikes by just putting them in the back of the van (no need for a bike rack). The van was a gift for my wife and so far she loves it!

Favorite Features

We love the front-and-center 8th seat; this is great for an infant car seat. Also love the room, the ride quality and the STAR safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Add a backup camera to all models - this should be required for all large vehicles. We added an after-market back-up camera and parking sensor system to out Sienna. I would also like to see an eight seat option in the upper trim lines.

08 Sienna Van
By van

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have purchased my Sienna for about 8 months. It's a great van. It has a lot of power and is very comfortable to drive. It is roomy and its built quality is excellent. I get about 21 to 23.8 mpg for mixed driving. On freeway driving, I get about 25 to 26 mpg.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, quiet, fuel economy, roomy, comfortable ride, standard safety features.

Suggested Improvements

stereo systems can be improved.

Great Van light on features
By Bob

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased the 2008 Sienna Limited. I traded in my 2001 Honda Odyssey after 2 transmissions! So I wanted to try Toyota and I love it. It is like riding in a luxury car, smooth ride, quiet engine, leather, wood trim, 360 watt stereo and plenty of room. It's new, but I'm only averaging 16 MPG on the highway, so hopefully it will break in and get better. One complaint that I have is when you pay over $33k for a limited you expect a DVD and navigation system, Honda gives you that for the same price as the Toyota! However I drove the new Honda and it was sluggish, and would never trust that brand again. I guess a good engine is better then a good DVD and navigation system!

Favorite Features

Luxurious interior, smooth powerful engine, lots of cool gadgets, smooth ride, lots of space, great stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a problem, when you get the limited you should get the DVD and navigation system for free!