2006 Toyota Sienna Consumer Review: After BMWs & Saabs, didn't exp

2006 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Review

XLE 7-Passenger Passenger Minivan (3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic)

After BMWs & Saabs, didn't expect to love this van
By anthony94114 on

2006 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving. Always have. When, professionally my hauling needs exceeded the Saab and BMW wagons I've had, I hunted for a van. Ultimately, the combo of power folding mirrors, gated shifting, sunroof and no run-flats was what sold me. Not passion. I just needed those things to be content.

I found a CPO 40,000 mile XLE that had been well taken care of. Then I added a Diamond Certified Toyota warranty when I found out they were pretty cheap.

It was a total surprise to realize this rig is a great driver. You have to shift it manually to really use the transmission best, both for accelleration and braking but carving HWY 1 in rural Marin County is a blast. at 125k now, it's still super.

Update, 6/27/16
The Sienna now has 178,000 miles. Still quite stunning. We also bought a newer 2011 Sienna Limited. I think I still like the '06 better. In hindsight, the seats are better, acceleration feels matched and the van at this high mileage is still in rattle-y compared to the 2011 which has low grade rattles all over. We do need to replace some expensive a/c systems but after a recent fluid chance and safety checkup, the mechanic couldn't stop raving about how tight and strong it is. We agree. A very solid automobile. I've never owned anything with this many miles and I still trust it implicitly.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By anthony94114
on 10/26/14 23:09 PM (PDT)

149,000 mile update: Flaweless, still. This thing is a surprise. I had a Tercel when I was 18 and beat it to poop- and only rear-ending a Peugeot stopped it. I didn't expect Toyota to r-e-a-l-l-y still have the chops to impress but it does. We drive incessanly for work- in less than 11 months we've gone another 20,000 miles. Still zero rattles, no fixes, great brakes, it's a dang good rig. I've never owned a car with this many miles (ok- maybe a 1966 Volvo 122 wagon with a broken odo) and felt so confident. My [then] brand new 2003 MINI I wouldn't trust driving 15 miles. You might not have the handling of a Cooper but you sure as hell will get where you're going.