great van , has its ups and downs
By danlee4 on
2006 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
I have owned both 04 and 06 sienna Le model. 04 model had numerous issues with a/c and for 06 it got a minor face lift so we sold it with only 20k miles of use. The 06 le was perfect, had 40k miles of use, mechanically perfect, never had issue with brakes, engine, axles,trans, doors like most other people are complaining about. we averaged 22 mpg in its entire life, mixed city/hwy use. Honestly brakes are still had over 70% life left. My only gripe was it had a noisy acceleration, it likes to rev low, great for gas mileage, and provides a super quiet in cruising mode. It does shop for gears if you have it on cruise control especially climbing gears, so I just take it out of cruise.
Favorite Features
Great resale value if you keep it in perfect shape. I have seen some junk siennas out there, it does not hold up well if kept outside, ours was garaged and it looked brand new. Headlights, exterior plastics(like the plastic mirror mounts, windshield plastic where the wipers are) will fade quickly in 2 years, I have seen many siennas age badly. back seats fold down providing great cargo with middle row removed also. Cheap to own, drives like a new van after 40k miles of use. I have test driven the 2011 siennas, it drives exactly as my 06 sienna. cup holders, hidden pocket on both front door armrests cheap to own, all we had to replace was the battery, oil changes, filters.
Suggested Improvements
They have improved on the noise level with acceleration on the 2011. No point on making suggestion in this catagory since 2011 are out now. 2011/2012 siennas they took away the hidden door storage in both front door panels, no doubt to save money. not really impressed with all the new changes for the value 2006-2010 are superior in value as compared to the 2011-2012 much higher msrp now wish we kept our 06 now.