Used 2006 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Too expensive to maintain
By Dave in CT

2006 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had to replace 1st set of runflat tires at 23K miles ($600+). New brake pads and rotors turned at 40K miles. The "alloy" wheels are peeling. Will soon need to replace the second set of runflat tires @ 47K miles. I would put regular tires on it if there was a place for a spare. Not the quality I expected when I purchased it, first Toyota purchased and probably the last.

Strong engine and handles well. Great turning radius for a large vehicle.

Actual alloy wheels that I paid for. No runflat tires. Better brakes.

I like the odessey better
By Julie

2006 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I had purchased a used Odyssey with leather seats and dvd and I loved it but found out it had been crashed and not fixed right so we went back to the dealer and we traded it in for the sienna. I hate the seats, you lean back to rest and it is like laying on a brick, we have 80,000 miles and the a/c is acting up. The cd player and radio for the last 10,000 miles has been very strange some days you cant see any of the words on the radio and then it just stops working then it will work then stop again later. The one thing I noticed is when I accelerate it shifts hard and almost has a jerking noise. It has been really reliable that I am thankful for.

Reliable

Transmission not jerk, cd/radio,

Toyota Needs a Compass
By losttheirway

2006 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota needs a compass because they have lost their way. I have owned other Toyotas and they never needed more than maintenance items. Not so with my Sienna. After only 4 years the front air conditioning failed. Then the passenger side sliding door failed. I was upset that it had broken, but thought it would take a $100-$200 part to get the problem fixed. Was I ever wrong. Toyota charges $1,100 just for the part and no company makes an after- market part! You have to take the door completely off the car to fix it. With the old Toyota it wouldn't have failed, but if it did it would have been simple to fix and the part wouldn't have cost so much. I won't be buying another Toyota.

Space, storage spaces, power sliding doors until they break.

Transmission - A situation where the van is rolling and then you accelerate seems to confuse the transmission. It treats you to a hard shift.

2006 Sienna
By Gym Shortz

2006 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We've been driving our van for about 4 years now. We got the 8 passenger model to accommodate our family of 4 and if needed another family of 4. That has worked out superb. The only drawback is the lack of armrests in the middle row had we gone with the 7 passenger model. We put aftermarket leather (well worth It) and all weather mats (we bought mfr, but there are other good mats at a better value). The van has a ton of power and I've never felt like I'm driving a van, I like the ride and the 12 cup/bottle holders around the van. Automatic door on passengers side only is nice but not necessary. Maintenance has been minimal LOF and milestones, no issues. Got new tires at 55K miles.

Handling and power

Middle row arm rests on seats.

Build Quality questionable
By Valerie

2006 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Decent vehicle as far as Minivans are concerned. But build quality is in question. Minor rattles (Dealer said it was normal). My sliding door motor crapped out after 6 months. Then when it was replaced I can hear it straining to close now. In 2008 I drove my cousin's Odyssey for a month and was very very impressed with it. It looked better inside, seemed to have functionality that suited my needs and definitely handled better. My husband actually enjoyed driving a van (he didn't like driving the Sienna) I'll be switching over to the Odyssey if I ever buy a Van again. I won't be buying any more Toyota due to the accelerator issue fiasco. I'm afraid the same issue will hit Siennas.

ride on long trips, roomy, safety (I hope)

interior, looks so plain and seats are unappealing. Safety is a big concern. If it develops the accelerator problem as many other Toyotas have, then I'm dumping it real quick.