2006 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2006 Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Sort Reviews by

Great van - great price - great value!
By Alvin

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Test drove a few vans, the Sienna was not only the cheapest for us in insurance, but the best riding! One review called it "rode like a Lexus" and we couldn't agree more!! Excellent van, great resale value, good safety features (3 rows of side curtain airbags STANDARD!) Make sure you guys buy the one with VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) great safety tool!

Favorite Features

Optiron dash lights, daytime running lights, VSC, airbags, 6 disc changer standard on LE models, power sliding door.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission 5 speed is a little.....getting used to. Downshifts a lot maybe a little unnecessarily, engine feels like it could use a little more "umph"

So far so good
By lad500

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Owned '06 Sienna AWD for a month: so far so good. Read numerous blogs about the run-flat tires: tire pressure guage doesn't work with them, numerous people had flat tires they didn't know of until became dangerous. So, keep checking tires for problems; don't rely on guage. They also wear out early; costly to replace (can use regulars, but no spare storage area). Not too happy about poor mileage, but not too bad for AWD that can seat 7. I just tried removing middle seats to see if it makes a difference, but hard to do. Almost gave up when one happened to pop out; they are extremely heavy, & I don't need them all the time.

Favorite Features

AWD, roomy, comfortable, sleek, pkg #2 has electric sliding pass door. Toyota reliability reputation.

Suggested Improvements

Must improve mileage somehow. Less heavy middle seats that are easier to remove. Less complicated headlight system: just have them shut off when the car is turned off, please. More std remote electric doors, as in Town&Country.

I didn't buy it to be a "mommy-van"
By Rick G.

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am a recently retired teacher and an avid surfer with no kids so I wanted a vehicle that was not just very roomy and had AWD but also comfortable if not luxurious. Having owned 2 SUV's and liking them I was tempted to buy another but I wanted more cargo space for my gear yet comfort too. The '06 Sienna was my choice and I'm glad I made it. The car is fully equipped with a beautiful leather interior, incredibly comfortable to drive and has great cargo space. I love all the extras in the XLE: AWD, power doors and windows, a great sound system and gorgeous interior appointments. The car handles beautifully has a very smooth, almost luxury feel to it and is just fun to get into and drive.

Favorite Features

I love having 4 power windows in addition to the rear vent windows and the AWD feature gave the nod to the Sienna over the Odyssey. The turning radius on this car is unbelievable, supposedly the same as the much smaller Corolla and my surfing buddies who teased me about buying a "mommy-van" love it

Suggested Improvements

As with some of you other reviewers I am a bit skeptical about the no spare, run-flat tires. I got Bridgestones so I hope they hold up better than the Dunlops that are reported to be not so good.Only time will tell. I'm also averaging only 17.5mph and I hoped the mileage would be a bit better.

Great van
By Bill

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the Sienna to replace a 1998 Caravan. Looked at the Odyssey too but my wife like the drive and feel of the Sienna better. The price was a little bit lower too. We are very happy with this van. The kids love it! I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

With no additional features except tinted windows this van is everything we need. The ride is comfortable, performance outstanding and the fold in the floor seats are great. Very easy to move even for my wife and young daughter. Controls are easy to reach and display is clear and well lit.

Suggested Improvements

The power passenger side sliding door should be standard.

Sienna limited AWD
By thai

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very quiet, smooth, Lexus like ride with the utmost in comfort and luxury. This van is quite refined and screams out quality. I can't believe Toyota has come so far with their R&D, only complaint is the price tag!

Favorite Features

Ergonomics; Electric Headlamps that moves up/down via a dial; every window is powered and opens except rear.

Suggested Improvements

More power-ie. Engine/2nd-3rd row seats.

A very good, if somewhat "vanilla", van
By Brown

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Good, but not perfect by any means. Having come from a 2002 Honda Odyssey, I immediately noticed several shortcomings in the Sienna. The Honda engine was much more powerful, especially at takeoff. Furthermore, the Honda had power doors on BOTH sides, instead of just the right side. However, my transmission went out on my Honda after 70,000 miles so I'll gladly trade some power and a powered sliding door for better dependability. However, it just seems somewhat less "advanced" than my 2002 Odyssey did. If the Odyssey is the hot cheerleader who may love you one day, only to leave you for someone else the next, the Sienna is the tried and true girl next door who you can count on to be there.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish appear to be above average. Standard safety features are a plus. Quiet, confident ride leaves you liking, but not completely loving, this van.

Suggested Improvements

More power at takeoff. And making both doors powered would be a welcomed addition. It just lacks some of the "sizzle" of the Odyssey. Thus, the heart says Honda, but the head says Toyota.

2006 Sienna LE
By Jerry

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

You can put me in the category of somebody who never thought they'd own a minivan. However, it just made sense for my family. And I'm exceptionally glad I made the decision. Plenty of room for everybody, tons of space for stuff, very quiet and comfortable, and actually doesn't look too bad (silver).

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, very quiet, high quality components, solid feel all around, reasonable price, huge cargo area

Suggested Improvements

Front end still looks kinda odd, though getting better than prior years; integrate radio antenna into rear window; front wheels look smallish inside wheel well; either include satellite radio or make specific provision for a receiver

Great car
By Allan

Just traded up from my 2004 limited AWD model to the 2006. Great improvements. I loved the 2004, and the 2006 is that much better. The Bluetooth phone interface is much better than on my wife's Lexus, and the ride is quieter and smoother than 2004. The navigation system is improved functionally and cosmetically -- the graphics are better (especially when showing freeway lanes), and it gives more accurate directions than the 2004. The memory seats and power passenger seat are appreciated. Like the larger DVD screen in rear. With AWD, I did not get the power rear seat, but not a big deal. Seats are so easy to lower anyway. Great car to drive, and my passengers enjoy riding in it.

Favorite Features

Ability to watch DVD from front seat while in Park (can't do this on our Lexus). Great navigation system. The Bluetooth hands-free is wonderful, easy to use, better reception than I get on the phone alone. Rear camera, sonar combination is great. Laser cruise control is great in heavy traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Rain-sensing wipers and articulating headlights. You've got every other luxury available, why not these?? Would like a switch to turn on the rear camera even when not in reverse. Would be great when carrying a large package in rear. Heated, massing rear seats would make this truly superb!

Trip out of state
By Dave B

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We took a family trip over christmas and the van was excellent in all areas. Very roomy and easy to move around. Very quiet engine. Like folding seats options and used back for sleeping with middle folded as a foot rest. No regrets at all compared to competition.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside. Quiet engine. Smooth ride. Radio/cd controls on steering. 6disc cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Can the truck be opened and closed with a key?

Most comfortable minivan
By Tung

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van just 2 weeks ago. I took on the first trip to Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas, and almost 2000 miles on it. 6 people and some of the luggage. The handling was so smooth, there was virtually no noise as I speed up to 90mph to check this van out. The stereo sound is great. I had owned a van and SUV before but nothing compare to this van, I love the interior it is nicer than 2005 model. If you want Lexus-like luxury in your family hauler, the Sienna has your number. With tons of innovative features and even more available options.

Favorite Features

I love the display odometer front panel. It light up well I can see clearly.

Suggested Improvements

Dual power on both side of slide doors could be great. However, I think they leave one manual just in case the power door broke down.