Used 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

After BMWs & Saabs, I didn't expect to love this van
By anthony94114

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving. Always have. When, professionally my hauling needs exceeded the Saab and BMW wagons I've had, I hunted for a van. Ultimately, the combo of power folding mirrors, gated shifting, sunroof and no run-flats was what sold me. Not passion. I just needed those things to be content. I found a CPO 40,000 mile XLE that had been well taken care of. Then I added a Diamond Certified Toyota warranty when I found out they were pretty cheap. It was a total surprise to realize this rig is a great driver. You have to shift it manually to really use the transmission best, both for accelleration and braking but carving HWY 1 in rural Marin County is a blast. at 125k now, it's still super.

Favorite Features

Best parts: Power folding side mirrors. These vans are big (still shorter than my Saab 9-5 wagon though!). Navigating into tight spaces requires the ease of button-folding mirrors. It's why I skipped the Odyssey. Great, eager engine goes and goes. Solid, crisp shifting gives control and fun. Totally flat load floor with [hard, heavy to remove] middle seats is great, though I hunger for Dodge/Chry Stow-n-Go. At well over 100,000 miles, my van is still rattle free, reliable, solid. The only problems have been with rear door struts (I often keep the hatch open all day though) and a rock got stuck in the sliding door mech. A home made CD busted the dash player. But warranty covered it all.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats aren't good. Especially coming from Saab. Removing the rear seats (I generally haul antiques, not people) is only for the strong. Why the other brands haven't knocked off Dodge/Chrysler on Stow-n-Go is mysterious. It's so smart! I keep wanting a new, post 2011 Sienna for the look. My older one isn't great looking but the stupid mid-seat anchor bars on the newer edition ruin the load floor, so I love my flat floor. Driving a new one doesn't gain much on this- though better front seats would be nice. I get 25 on the freeway which is ok, about 18 in hilly San Francisco. I wish it was better but it's not bad. Aside from aesthetics, this is hard to beat.

Cracked dash board
By brie888

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sienna has always been garage kept, low miles, used by a stay at home mom. My dash board has cracked from passenger side all the way to the driver side. Also, the car has never been wrecked. Contacted Toyota - typical response - out of warranty then we can't help you. It's kinda funny, because my husband just bought a Sequoia. Hubby thought maybe we will replace my car with another Toyota since dealer was negotiating. My repsponse was I won't own another Toyota!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product and acknowledge you have defective parts.

Toyota quality no more
By Mark

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned several Toyota vehicles dating back to the 70's, I am truly disappointed in the recent quality of their vehicles. Brakes wear prematurely, CV joints are bad, and automatic sliding door went out. All before 50,000 miles. And of course, all of these repairs are very expensive. No more Toyotas in my future.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality

Toyota Needs a Compass
By losttheirway

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota needs a compass because they have lost their way. I have owned other Toyotas and they never needed more than maintenance items. Not so with my Sienna. After only 4 years the front air conditioning failed. Then the passenger side sliding door failed. I was upset that it had broken, but thought it would take a $100-$200 part to get the problem fixed. Was I ever wrong. Toyota charges $1,100 just for the part and no company makes an after- market part! You have to take the door completely off the car to fix it. With the old Toyota it wouldn't have failed, but if it did it would have been simple to fix and the part wouldn't have cost so much. I won't be buying another Toyota.

Favorite Features

Space, storage spaces, power sliding doors until they break.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission - A situation where the van is rolling and then you accelerate seems to confuse the transmission. It treats you to a hard shift.

No big issues - but won't buy again
By Boston Driver

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for my wife who swore she would never want a minivan. She likes the car, but I'm not crazy about it. Mileage averages 19 .. i never expected 30, but 23-24 seemed reasonable. The engine seems underpowered or else the transmission is just plain shifting at the wrong times (i shouldn't have to floor it to maintain 70 mph on a minor incline). Otherwise just plain feels like I'm driving a couch

Favorite Features

All that room. Very comfortable for long rides

Suggested Improvements

Improve MPG, road feel.