Used 2006 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Not expected Toyota quality
By dragonsssix

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It's been close to 5 years (just hit 100K miles) and worked fine until now. Automatic sliding door is not working (won't close/open); I have to pull to make automatic door slides which is very inconvenient. I did not expect to have this kind of build quality from Toyota.

7 passenger van that can haul people with comfort.

Best van I've ever purchased!
By mmcnamara

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This van has been a fantastic vehicle for almost seven years, ferrying our family from the Atlantic to the Pacific without fail. The 3.3 seems stronger than the 215 hp rating, and the mileage is consistently 20 mpg in town, and 26 mpg regularly on the highway. In 114K miles, I've done 2 front brake jobs, 3 sets of tires, 1 timing belt service, 2 top-offs of the A/C system for a slow leak,and a shock that was replaced under warranty at 38K - that's it. In thirty years of owning vehicles, both domestic and imported, the Sienna has been the most trouble-free of all of them.

The interior is very comfortable, with higher quality materials than the newer generation of Sienna. The audio system is decent, although I'm no audiophile. The A/C works well as long as it's topped up (which it is 95% of the time), and the heat and defrost functions are great as well. And the headlights- they're awesome! (As I've gotten older this has become decidely more important.) With regards to the exterior, the paint quality has been excellent, and the rubber seals and trim all seem to be holding up well. The driving experience is good for what it is, with excellent acceleration and fairly good brakes, and handling that is about what you'd expect- remember, it's a van, folks.

I'd like to see a whole lot more sound-proofing, but all minivans seem to suffer from this due to the aerodynamics. My trim level (LE) doesn't have traction control, and it should probably be standard- no kidding. Even with new tires, the motor is strong enough to spin 'em from a dead start easily. (Not to scare people off, it's more of an annoyance- winter driving is still acceptable, and I'm sure shoeing the van with dedicated snow tires would markedly improve things). Other improvements I'd like to see? How about more interior colors that are real colors, not just mouse fur gray or bland beige - I'd love to see blues or reds. Also, standard power seats would be nice.

great van , has its ups and downs
By danlee4

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned both 04 and 06 sienna Le model. 04 model had numerous issues with a/c and for 06 it got a minor face lift so we sold it with only 20k miles of use. The 06 le was perfect, had 40k miles of use, mechanically perfect, never had issue with brakes, engine, axles,trans, doors like most other people are complaining about. we averaged 22 mpg in its entire life, mixed city/hwy use. Honestly brakes are still had over 70% life left. My only gripe was it had a noisy acceleration, it likes to rev low, great for gas mileage, and provides a super quiet in cruising mode. It does shop for gears if you have it on cruise control especially climbing gears, so I just take it out of cruise.

Great resale value if you keep it in perfect shape. I have seen some junk siennas out there, it does not hold up well if kept outside, ours was garaged and it looked brand new. Headlights, exterior plastics(like the plastic mirror mounts, windshield plastic where the wipers are) will fade quickly in 2 years, I have seen many siennas age badly. back seats fold down providing great cargo with middle row removed also. Cheap to own, drives like a new van after 40k miles of use. I have test driven the 2011 siennas, it drives exactly as my 06 sienna. cup holders, hidden pocket on both front door armrests cheap to own, all we had to replace was the battery, oil changes, filters.

They have improved on the noise level with acceleration on the 2011. No point on making suggestion in this catagory since 2011 are out now. 2011/2012 siennas they took away the hidden door storage in both front door panels, no doubt to save money. not really impressed with all the new changes for the value 2006-2010 are superior in value as compared to the 2011-2012 much higher msrp now wish we kept our 06 now.

Not Toyota Quality
By daddio1

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Sienna after my Caravan died 4 years ago. I hate to say that this Sienna has been worse maintenance- wise than my Caravan. I'm on my third set of brakes, my power door locks have all been replaced and my A/C compressor went out twice. Every time I take it in to have the power door locks fixed they look get this look on their faces like it's the first time they've ever seen the problem although a friend of mine who works at a Toyota dealership told me it's been a fleet wide problem for years to include the same 4 Lexus door locks I've had replaced. Now my left CV joint is clanking. The staff at the dealership acts like they work at Rolls Royce or something. Frustrating.

Good looking vehicle

Build 'em like you used to

2006 Sienna
By David Skipworth

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very unhappy with this vehicle. Have less than 70k on this car and already on 3rd set of tires. Rear door hold opens have failed and they cost nearly $300, and now the A/C compressor is out. New part is more than $1,000. Transmission has always shifted sluggish and the fuel tank is too small for the fuel economy of this vehicle. This car is a money pit. It just stays parked most of the time now. I hate it!