2006 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2006 Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Sort Reviews by

Love My Sienna
By sienna_06

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am writing this review in March of 2014. I've owned my Sienna since it was new. I now have over 250,000 miles on my van. It has given me little problem over the years. I purchase 90,000 mile/warranty Michelin tires, and they usually wear unevenly and need replacing before they hit 50,000. This is with regular alignments & tire rotations done at the same time I have the oil changed at 5,000 miles. Other than this, the van has given me little problem. I've been very happy with my van

Favorite Features

Reliability in the mechanics as well as the body and interior. Even with all these miles on the van, the seats still look almost new.

Suggested Improvements

Finding and fixing the issue with the unusual tire wear. Nobody seems to know why this is happening, and I've even spoken with an alignment technician who owns a 2006 Sienna just like mine except another color, who says that he is going through tires about every 15,000 miles! He cannot figure out why this is either.

(2) Transmissions in 150K Miles?!?!?
By alb2014

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It is acceptable for you to expect go through (2) transmissions on a family owned and operated mini van to get 150K miles out of a $40K "luxury" vehicle? First transmission was "replaced" at 57K, under warranty. Currently at 148K miles. Facing a $2000 bill from the Toyota dealer for a transfer case seal repair. Called Toyota. Assigned a "Case Manager", Dan. He states since there is no service record with Toyota after drive train warranty expired and the car has 148K miles, Toyota is not accountable. He would not transfer me to a supervisor and hung up on me. I called back and am waiting for a return call from a "Supervisor". Our first and last Toyota purchase.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior space, JBL soundsystem, handles well

Suggested Improvements

Drive train reliability, gas mileage, sliding side doors and rear tailgate problems

After BMWs & Saabs, I didn't expect to love this van
By anthony94114

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving. Always have. When, professionally my hauling needs exceeded the Saab and BMW wagons I've had, I hunted for a van. Ultimately, the combo of power folding mirrors, gated shifting, sunroof and no run-flats was what sold me. Not passion. I just needed those things to be content. I found a CPO 40,000 mile XLE that had been well taken care of. Then I added a Diamond Certified Toyota warranty when I found out they were pretty cheap. It was a total surprise to realize this rig is a great driver. You have to shift it manually to really use the transmission best, both for accelleration and braking but carving HWY 1 in rural Marin County is a blast. at 125k now, it's still super.

Favorite Features

Best parts: Power folding side mirrors. These vans are big (still shorter than my Saab 9-5 wagon though!). Navigating into tight spaces requires the ease of button-folding mirrors. It's why I skipped the Odyssey. Great, eager engine goes and goes. Solid, crisp shifting gives control and fun. Totally flat load floor with [hard, heavy to remove] middle seats is great, though I hunger for Dodge/Chry Stow-n-Go. At well over 100,000 miles, my van is still rattle free, reliable, solid. The only problems have been with rear door struts (I often keep the hatch open all day though) and a rock got stuck in the sliding door mech. A home made CD busted the dash player. But warranty covered it all.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats aren't good. Especially coming from Saab. Removing the rear seats (I generally haul antiques, not people) is only for the strong. Why the other brands haven't knocked off Dodge/Chrysler on Stow-n-Go is mysterious. It's so smart! I keep wanting a new, post 2011 Sienna for the look. My older one isn't great looking but the stupid mid-seat anchor bars on the newer edition ruin the load floor, so I love my flat floor. Driving a new one doesn't gain much on this- though better front seats would be nice. I get 25 on the freeway which is ok, about 18 in hilly San Francisco. I wish it was better but it's not bad. Aside from aesthetics, this is hard to beat.

Not expected Toyota quality
By dragonsssix

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It's been close to 5 years (just hit 100K miles) and worked fine until now. Automatic sliding door is not working (won't close/open); I have to pull to make automatic door slides which is very inconvenient. I did not expect to have this kind of build quality from Toyota.

Favorite Features

7 passenger van that can haul people with comfort.

Best van I've ever purchased!
By mmcnamara

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This van has been a fantastic vehicle for almost seven years, ferrying our family from the Atlantic to the Pacific without fail. The 3.3 seems stronger than the 215 hp rating, and the mileage is consistently 20 mpg in town, and 26 mpg regularly on the highway. In 114K miles, I've done 2 front brake jobs, 3 sets of tires, 1 timing belt service, 2 top-offs of the A/C system for a slow leak,and a shock that was replaced under warranty at 38K - that's it. In thirty years of owning vehicles, both domestic and imported, the Sienna has been the most trouble-free of all of them.

Favorite Features

The interior is very comfortable, with higher quality materials than the newer generation of Sienna. The audio system is decent, although I'm no audiophile. The A/C works well as long as it's topped up (which it is 95% of the time), and the heat and defrost functions are great as well. And the headlights- they're awesome! (As I've gotten older this has become decidely more important.) With regards to the exterior, the paint quality has been excellent, and the rubber seals and trim all seem to be holding up well. The driving experience is good for what it is, with excellent acceleration and fairly good brakes, and handling that is about what you'd expect- remember, it's a van, folks.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see a whole lot more sound-proofing, but all minivans seem to suffer from this due to the aerodynamics. My trim level (LE) doesn't have traction control, and it should probably be standard- no kidding. Even with new tires, the motor is strong enough to spin 'em from a dead start easily. (Not to scare people off, it's more of an annoyance- winter driving is still acceptable, and I'm sure shoeing the van with dedicated snow tires would markedly improve things). Other improvements I'd like to see? How about more interior colors that are real colors, not just mouse fur gray or bland beige - I'd love to see blues or reds. Also, standard power seats would be nice.

Average Mini Van
By tcle2001

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2006 CE 7 passanger Sienna new. The vehicle now has 160,000 kms. The vehicle had some early issues. The air bag light came on and took 2 years to resolve. Had to fight Toyota and dealer all the way. Finally replaced main wiring harness. Also had to replace drivers door (yes the whole door) due to broken hinges. All covered by Toyota. Other than that the vehicle has been good. It has plenty of power and is comfortable on long trips. My van is a box stock CE. From what I hear people with the fancy ones have more problems.

Favorite Features

Comfortable on long trips. Good power.

Suggested Improvements

An outside air thermometer would be nice. Toyota needs to learn about Customer Service.

Cracked dash board
By brie888

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sienna has always been garage kept, low miles, used by a stay at home mom. My dash board has cracked from passenger side all the way to the driver side. Also, the car has never been wrecked. Contacted Toyota - typical response - out of warranty then we can't help you. It's kinda funny, because my husband just bought a Sequoia. Hubby thought maybe we will replace my car with another Toyota since dealer was negotiating. My repsponse was I won't own another Toyota!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product and acknowledge you have defective parts.

Sienna Poor Quality
By stigsgal

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunately, I have to say that after 6 years my Sienna XLE is falling apart around me. All the trim inside the vehicle have or are in process of breaking. The CD player stopped working when the car was 4 years old, the radio goes in and out when it rains or doesn't work at all. The brakes had to be replaced at 38,000 miles, belts replaced, tires OHHH the Run Flat saga. I have never had more flat tires than with the run flats (ironically enough). I personally can not recommend this vehicle to anyone and after a lifetime of owning and driving Toyotas I will not be purchasing another one. Another car company that forgot what made them great. So Sad.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Put the quality back into your product.

Expensive to own
By cgermain

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 Sienna new and have had many electronic issues. Radio went out within the first week, followed by airbag sensors. The brakes had to be replaced at 30k. I have 93k and have had the tires replaced three times. This van is a great driving vehicle but it is simply too expensive to maintain. Now my AC has gone out for a 2nd time. It was a $1200 bill the first time and I am praying it will be covered for this repair. I will never own another Toyota and my Sienna will be gone soon. Going American all the way from now on.

Favorite Features

Cargo Capacity, drives great

Suggested Improvements

All electronics, wears out tires and brakes too easily

Great Van
By angelaj1

2006 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We love our van. My only complaint is the tires, but the guy at Discount Tires explained to me that it is because the van is very front heavy. The back tires do fine. I have had to replace the tires on the front 3 times, and I am getting ready to replace the tires on the front. When I replace the move the older tires to the fron. and put the new ones on the back. So, so I will be on my 3rd set of tires. Other than that no complaint. We love it for road trips

Favorite Features

Read dual DVD for kids, and heated seats for mom and dad.