2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Good choice, only complaint was cost
By Thomas Mommy on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this van. I drove 2 dr sport cars before motherhood. I love cars, and this fits me as a woman who loves cars. As good as it gets, always comfortable driving long distance with no breakdown fears. I have drove nine days alone in Toyota models over the years with NO FEAR. I had power door replaced under warranty. Only real problem with 2005 model. I have learned to have general suggested belts, brakes, and other repairs done by local mechanic verse dealership to save on cost. Recently had the two belts for alternator and AC replaced due to loud squealing noise for two months. I believe this only happened because I moved into Mountain regions and ran the AC hard in the mountains.

Fine Van
By Tom on 08/20/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 92,000 miles; now has 101,000 miles and have loved every mile. Replaced a 2006 le that gave excellent service but I wanted to own one with all of the extra button spaces used so this xle limited awd has it all! Run flat tires were replaced with regular tires so I had to buy a spare but found a new one at a salvage yard for 100.00. Gas mileage has been about 24 mpg but the awd grip makes up for the 2 mpg less that the le. Have had no problems with anything and have taken three 1000 mile trips this summer. The only minor problem was a frozen bolt when I had the timing belt changed but the cost was minimal. It drives and rides superbly and makes long trips a pleasure.

Lots of Interior Space
By KeithS on 08/12/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car because my wife needed lots of room to haul around products for her business. It's great for long road trips: comfortable seats, cruise control, and telescoping steering wheel with well-designed controls, lots of cup-holders, and plenty of electrical sockets for technology gadgets. Maintenance-wise: changing the oil and replacing front brake pads are both quite easy. However, accessing the rear bank of spark plugs is almost impossible; dealer charges $400+ to change all 6 plugs. Replacing the air filter and rear wiper blade were a pain. Airflow over the windshield has a "whistling" sound. The paint on front chips away too easily. No "really big" repairs yet, though.

Great Family
By jerry on 08/11/10 09:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been a god-send to our family. We fill up the vehicle, and are too busy to mess with repairs. We purchased this vehicle with 68k and have doubled the mileage in 3 years with no issues at all. I have replace tires and oil only. Every thing works and works well. It is a pleasure to drive and the mileage for a van is great, consistently in the mid-20's- towing our pop-up I still get 18! Most of my extended family have owned GM or Chrysler products and I spent more up-front for my van, but in the long run saved money because of reliability.

Hate It!
By Catharine on 04/21/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

Always thought Toyota was a great car, but I think their head started to swell, and the quality went down. The Marriage between Dunlop And Toyota should end in divorce. Not a good match. I have gone through 8 sets of tire before( lots of money), putting on bridge stones. The Tire light goes off and on with a mind of it's own and the sliding door will open by them self. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Watch the DOORS!
By macdukep on 03/23/10 08:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Sliding rear doors have been malfunctioning since purchased. Do not buy this model if you live in cold climates: the sliding doors freeze shut on a regular basis. Also one of the sliding doors malfunction and will not open at all (feels like the child lock is on even when it is off.) Other people with same problems can be found on edmunds.com under Toyota Sienna. Dealer wants $850.00 to fix. It really seems like a defective door yet they want consumer to cover the cost. In addition, don't ever try reaching Toyota on their 800 number unless you have time to spare. I was on hold 60 min before they picked up. Other times I hung up after 20 min. Not concerned for customer.

'05 Toyota Sienna
By happy r/c on 02/24/10 20:45 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After my horror reliability experience with a '04 Nissan Quest minivan, I replaced it with a '05 Toyota Sienna. It's not trouble free but at least the fixes get fixed the first time UNLIKE Nissan. MINOR ISSUES: - crack in driver's side mirror - broken flip-out drawer below stereo - side-moulding came off due to a bad 2-sided tape MAJOR ISSUES: - Driver's door recalled due to bad weld - 4 yrs/65k miles, rack and pinion steering broke(my cost $1400) - 4 yrs/65k miles, the sliding door's hinge sagged (dealer wanted $1100 for just parts but I bought the $100 part and independent bodyshop replaced it for less) - interior light drains battery when doors left open so we keep lights off

Death by sludge
By Tom on 01/15/10 09:03 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great comfort, decent performance are the strengths here. Fuel Economy is lacking. It is no better than a Durango with a v8 Hemi. Despite faithful 3k mile oil changes (every 5k when switched to synthetic at 30k) sludge managed to best our engine. Despite showing all maintenance receipts for 5 year history. Toyota insists it was our lack of maintenance that caused the sludge and refuses to honor the warranty. Never again will we buy Toyota.

Sienna wheel bearing woes
By B a C on 12/05/09 05:57 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Owned Sienna for 4+ years now. Only 120,000 kms on vehicle and both front and rear bearings simply worn out. Very expensive to replace, as both bearings and hubs replaced same time. ($ thousands). No help from Toyota to date, but I continue to ask. Tires were an issue, but they did replace under recall. All toyota AWD vans seem to chew the tires off their rims! We had AWD Previa before and same problem with tires. Power window fell off track and over $400.00 to replace. This is an extremely expensive van to buy, and maintain. Paid over 45,000 taxes in, and still forking out thousands to keep it on road after only 4 years. Most parts are only available through dealer.

Do Not Buy
By Do Not Buy on 10/18/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

From day one anything that could go wrong did. Replaced battery in 3 months, brakes and rotors at 28K miles, tires 30K, miles, door hinge broke, sliding door hinges rattled, seat belts locked up, struts and mounts replaced @ 60K, transmission and torque converter problems start at 45K, at 94K are terrible, still have extended warranty so of course Toyota can find nothing wrong with it. Have also replaced fuel speed sensor, rear air vent goes on and off by itself. Toyota won't fix that either. (guess I have to wait until the extended warranty is up) Windshield whistles??? Very, very, frustrating. Let's not forget replacing the spark plugs 35K miles too soon. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!