Used 2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Reliable and Versatile.
By pmerk28

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The internet brings out all the strange reviewers: people claiming horrible experiences and people who use this forum to complain about the dealers instead of the actual product. I have had this car new since August 2005. As of this writing it now has 190,000 miles. There are hard Long lsland, NY miles. The radiator finally rotted out. Is this unreasonable? The lift gate shocks failed at around 150,000 miles. I ordered a pair online for well under $100.00 and installed them in 10 mins. Mileage is very good for a huge vehicle. I still get 18 mpg city and 22 or so on the highway. The exhaust system is still all original. Nothing leaks. No problems with the sliding doors so far.

Huge interior and cargo area. Plenty of space for groceries and sports gear with the rear seats in place. You can haul all the kids, pets, beverages, coolers and luggage on a long trip. If you need more space the roof rack helps. With the rear seats folded and the second row removed you can lay sheet rock or sheets of plywood flat in this thing. Visibility is outstanding and the headlights throw a good distance in front. The A/C is powerful. There are many interior configurations to fit whatever your needs are at the time. This is a safe car. Traction control and VSC work well. The car has been very reliable, mostly just routine maintenance. Uses regular unleaded fuel.

This van rides like a boat. It could use stiffer suspension. The rear suspension is not independent so the rear tends to "hop" over bumps which can unsettle the ride. Could have used more sound insulation as the interior is not quiet and the tire and road noise really wear on you on long trips. The stereo reception is mediocre and has gotten worse. I have to have the antenna mast checked, I guess. The middle seats are removable but they are very heavy and the removal process is not intuitive. The center console for the driver and passenger folds down but is not removable. The driver seat is not comfortable on long trips for whatever reason. Redesign access to license plate lamps.

It started off so well
By nashvegasmom

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought van brand new after bad Chrysler T&C. The first 3 years were great. Here is the laundry list of problems we have encountered, none unique to us: rear door not staying up - repaired b4 recall issued, tires wear extremely quickly even w/ regular rotation, radio does not respond to buttons correctly and often has no display or only partial digital display, gear shift clip broken so have to hold with one hand while removing keys from ignition when you park, manual side door handle broken-2X, gasket around windshield detached and dealer blamed on auto carwashes that I rarely used, side doors freeze shut every winter-in NASHVILLE!, auto door no longer works w/buttons - must start manually

Spacious

All of the things I mentioned above should not happen. Most have been listed as problems with numerous owners. I have just turned over 100K and I expect to have some problems but not the kinds I listed above. We bought a Tundra in 2010 that has had no problems so far but we are just getting to the 3rd anniversary of ownership. I hope it won't be the same experience.

Not thrilled with Quality does not feel like Toyota product
By gigi24

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am really disappointed about the quality of 2005 Toyota Sienna. It has 112,000 miles and about 8 months ago things starts braking one at a time. Here are some of the issues I have uncounted. * Tries are rotated at every 5,000 miles and alignment at every 15,000 miles still Tires wear at an angle. * Cracks start appearing on the dash board, now cracks are expanded across entire dash board. * Power steering rack start leaking on the both ends and dealer wants $1,800 replace it * Rubbers hosing that holds antenna broken and other rubber items stats cracking * The glue that holds glass to the windows motor came off . * Tailgate struts broken rear door does not keep up.

No road noise and nice handling

Before this Sienna I had 98 Honda Odyssey for 8 years with 150,000 miles and never had any issues except regular maintenance. I am not thrilled about Toyota Quality hopefully someone from Toyota paying attention to their customers. Hope they are not continue the same quality for their 2012 or 2013 models. Given a chance will opt out to Odyssey for my next replacement.

Good Van / Avoid Crooked Dealerships
By j_ly

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Sienna used from a private party in 2007 with 40,000 miles and I have over 130,000 miles on it today. I put new Michelin tires from Sams Club on at 90,000 miles (rotate every 10K) and they still have over half of their tread life. I changed spark plugs and plug wires as well as the timing belt at 110,000 miles. That's it! I received a recall notice for the spare tire holder so had to bring to dealership. When I got my van back I was told I needed a new radiator ($800) and cabin air filter ($80). I brought the van back to my mechanic and he said the radiator was fine and took 2 minutes to change the cabin filter ($15). That was 15,000 miles ago!

Reliability. After getting fed up with lemons from General Motors, I switched to Toyota. I have had great experiences with this Sienna as well as my 2001 Avalon. Because Toyota builds quality, it should be expected that their dealerships are hypochondriacs or straight up crooked. Avoid the dealerships and you'll love your Toyota!

I live in Minnesota and deal with harsh winter driving conditions. The road salt seems to corrode the under-body more than on other vehicles I've owned.

Good choice, only complaint was cost
By Thomas Mommy

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this van. I drove 2 dr sport cars before motherhood. I love cars, and this fits me as a woman who loves cars. As good as it gets, always comfortable driving long distance with no breakdown fears. I have drove nine days alone in Toyota models over the years with NO FEAR. I had power door replaced under warranty. Only real problem with 2005 model. I have learned to have general suggested belts, brakes, and other repairs done by local mechanic verse dealership to save on cost. Recently had the two belts for alternator and AC replaced due to loud squealing noise for two months. I believe this only happened because I moved into Mountain regions and ran the AC hard in the mountains.

Seats, for short lady is great. Ease of moving around seats for storage without another adult to get the job done. Love the auto side door for small children.

Recent issue with paint chipping on fender near auto door. I most get estimate from auto-body repair before winter. Also if you purchase used, find out if original owner had auto door replaced under warranty. If replaced its GREAT! If not, it can be a pain. I spent one afternoon waiting on repair.