Used 2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Stay away from 2005...
By jinxx15

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Toyota Sienna in June 2009, had it till May 2011. We started to notice a ticking noise coming from below the car, turns out the tranny was done, and we also found out later that week that the radiator was leaking! They wanted 4200$ to fix the darn thing! When we traded it in it for a new car, it turns out that 5 years earlier, the van had been in a 7000$ wreck which Guelph Toyota failed to disclose... I would never go Toyota again.

Smooth ride, generally good interior materials, nice to drive, lots of space for everything, and smooth handling.

Slow transmission performance, uncomfortable 3rd row (very lacking in thigh support), blind zones galore, and just a little bit underpowered.

Lots of Interior Space
By KeithS

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car because my wife needed lots of room to haul around products for her business. It's great for long road trips: comfortable seats, cruise control, and telescoping steering wheel with well-designed controls, lots of cup-holders, and plenty of electrical sockets for technology gadgets. Maintenance-wise: changing the oil and replacing front brake pads are both quite easy. However, accessing the rear bank of spark plugs is almost impossible; dealer charges $400+ to change all 6 plugs. Replacing the air filter and rear wiper blade were a pain. Airflow over the windshield has a "whistling" sound. The paint on front chips away too easily. No "really big" repairs yet, though.

Interior space, ride comfort, sound and DVD systems, highway gas mileage

Better paint, disc brakes on rear like our Odyssey had, better design of rear wiper, fewer rattles, less wind noise

Watch the DOORS!
By macdukep

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Sliding rear doors have been malfunctioning since purchased. Do not buy this model if you live in cold climates: the sliding doors freeze shut on a regular basis. Also one of the sliding doors malfunction and will not open at all (feels like the child lock is on even when it is off.) Other people with same problems can be found on edmunds.com under Toyota Sienna. Dealer wants $850.00 to fix. It really seems like a defective door yet they want consumer to cover the cost. In addition, don't ever try reaching Toyota on their 800 number unless you have time to spare. I was on hold 60 min before they picked up. Other times I hung up after 20 min. Not concerned for customer.

I like the way the seats fold into the floor but the middle ones are too heavy to remove and they take up a lot of space as they don't fold into the floor.

Fix sliding doors so they don't freeze shut in winter and so the lock mechanism doesn't wear out and seal the door shut rendering the sliding doors useless. Get more reps to answer phones and take complaints seriously.

Wow, what a buy
By 98van

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had to post. 05 CE is my second Sienna. Bought 98 XLE new for my wife. Sold 155,000 with 0 issues. Now @ 165,000 on 05 and again 0 problems. Great job Toyota and I will be purchasing an 09 in the fall close out sales. My van is my office with as many miles that I drive. Signed, Toyota driver for life! Thank you.

Quality and lack of company concern
By waldimar

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The first two years of ownership of a 2005 Sienna CE were good, but in the last two months I had repair bills of $2000.00. Radiator leaked/replaced. Power steering rack and steering shaft needed to be replaced. The response from headquarters was, too bad, your warranty is over. Right now I am looking to try something else, maybe even a Dodge Caravan. In this tight market out there I was just surprised by the lack of interest to make me a happy owner of a Toyota product.