2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Stay away from 2005...
By jinxx15 on 07/13/11 17:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Toyota Sienna in June 2009, had it till May 2011. We started to notice a ticking noise coming from below the car, turns out the tranny was done, and we also found out later that week that the radiator was leaking! They wanted 4200$ to fix the darn thing! When we traded it in it for a new car, it turns out that 5 years earlier, the van had been in a 7000$ wreck which Guelph Toyota failed to disclose... I would never go Toyota again.

Lots of Interior Space
By KeithS on 08/12/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car because my wife needed lots of room to haul around products for her business. It's great for long road trips: comfortable seats, cruise control, and telescoping steering wheel with well-designed controls, lots of cup-holders, and plenty of electrical sockets for technology gadgets. Maintenance-wise: changing the oil and replacing front brake pads are both quite easy. However, accessing the rear bank of spark plugs is almost impossible; dealer charges $400+ to change all 6 plugs. Replacing the air filter and rear wiper blade were a pain. Airflow over the windshield has a "whistling" sound. The paint on front chips away too easily. No "really big" repairs yet, though.

Watch the DOORS!
By macdukep on 03/23/10 08:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Sliding rear doors have been malfunctioning since purchased. Do not buy this model if you live in cold climates: the sliding doors freeze shut on a regular basis. Also one of the sliding doors malfunction and will not open at all (feels like the child lock is on even when it is off.) Other people with same problems can be found on edmunds.com under Toyota Sienna. Dealer wants $850.00 to fix. It really seems like a defective door yet they want consumer to cover the cost. In addition, don't ever try reaching Toyota on their 800 number unless you have time to spare. I was on hold 60 min before they picked up. Other times I hung up after 20 min. Not concerned for customer.

Wow, what a buy
By 98van on 02/20/09 18:09 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had to post. 05 CE is my second Sienna. Bought 98 XLE new for my wife. Sold 155,000 with 0 issues. Now @ 165,000 on 05 and again 0 problems. Great job Toyota and I will be purchasing an 09 in the fall close out sales. My van is my office with as many miles that I drive. Signed, Toyota driver for life! Thank you.

Quality and lack of company concern
By waldimar on 01/30/09 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The first two years of ownership of a 2005 Sienna CE were good, but in the last two months I had repair bills of $2000.00. Radiator leaked/replaced. Power steering rack and steering shaft needed to be replaced. The response from headquarters was, too bad, your warranty is over. Right now I am looking to try something else, maybe even a Dodge Caravan. In this tight market out there I was just surprised by the lack of interest to make me a happy owner of a Toyota product.

Plastic trouble
By Brian on 10/01/08 18:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Sienna from the dealership, but the dealer drove it first, it was a used car. It was spotless, nice, we thought a step up from our 99 Odyssey. The car has mechanically been OK, we now have just over 50,000 miles. Our biggest problem is with plastic bits. The interior rattles constantly, and has since just after we bought it. The weather stripping broke on one sliding door (wind noise), on the other it actually fell off (hanging like a rope). Even with 100K mile warranty, the dealer considers this "trim" and will not fix. They were quite nasty about it, too, accused us of trying to steal from them, we should be happy to pay.

Good for 5 or more!
By MJS on 04/23/08 12:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife & I owned a 2001 Sienna (older style) and really liked it; however it had 2 bench seats and we already had 1 child and now a set of twins on the way! We bought the 05 model and haven't looked back. We love the fold down seats! There's lots of storage in the rear and the car has plenty of power even when loaded with 3 kids and 4 adults. On one particular road trip with just th 5 of us I calculated an average of 29 MPG. Around town it is usually only about 20 MPG. Can't beat it for the money, it rides great, and has good safety ratings. We look forward to seeing how long we can hold on to this one!

Outstanding mini-van!!!
By ron on 01/21/08 07:38 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Sienna CE in June of '05 and have logged 24K miles absolutely trouble-free. Transitioned from a Pontiac Transport, a disaster of a mini-van. The Sienna is quiet on the road, smooth to drive, has solid pick-up, Toyota reliability, and a great buy for the money. We are surprised that it is not cited as "best buy" for '05 vehicles! I would not hesitate to buy another!!

Wow what a van
By karen on 03/18/07 20:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A couple of years ago, we had to retire our 88 Camry with 450,000 km on it and the engine was still in OK shape!. We have gone back to more luxurious camping and like our eureka tent and Bring your own bed, we brought a Sienna. I have 50,000 km on it and can you believe it; not one thing has gone wrong; I mean nothing. On a trip through the rockies and on to the west coast, this van not only gave us pretty good mileage but never once experienced any difficulty with climbing those mountains. Driving the double lane Coquihalla, we were able to keep it at 120km per hour without any difficulty.

Untrustworthy gas mileage
By MYOB on 08/15/06 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After 15000 miles, the gas mileage started slipping. At this point we are getting 16-18 mpg max. Also, the dealer failed to finish coat the paint, and it scratches very easily.