Used 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Most Helpful|
'05 Toyota Sienna
By happy r/c

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After my horror reliability experience with a '04 Nissan Quest minivan, I replaced it with a '05 Toyota Sienna. It's not trouble free but at least the fixes get fixed the first time UNLIKE Nissan. MINOR ISSUES: - crack in driver's side mirror - broken flip-out drawer below stereo - side-moulding came off due to a bad 2-sided tape MAJOR ISSUES: - Driver's door recalled due to bad weld - 4 yrs/65k miles, rack and pinion steering broke(my cost $1400) - 4 yrs/65k miles, the sliding door's hinge sagged (dealer wanted $1100 for just parts but I bought the $100 part and independent bodyshop replaced it for less) - interior light drains battery when doors left open so we keep lights off

Favorite Features

- Power rear lift gate - 10 air bags - daylight safety headlights - 3rd row seat folds flat into floor

Suggested Improvements

- iPod interface - rear cigarette power jacks - expensive upgrade packages instead of a-la-carte for only the upgrades you want - Return to building cars 100% parts+labor in Japan.

Great van so far. Still afraid the will shoe to drop.
By bhildebrand

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought second hand in Nov 2012. Owned 2 Chrysler vans before this one. Got this 05 sienna XLE with 97000 all prepped and ready to go. In Dec we went from PA to CA and back in comfort & had a great trip. Van didn't give so much as a hick-up. Got 21mpg average over all. But with 5 adults & lots of luggage I guess that's not bad even though I was hopping for better. just over a year now (mar 2014)with no major problems. Power doors acting up over winter but have learnt to deal with it. will cut cable and run manual if need be. now have 121000miles. Went in for 100000mile services and found cracked radiator. Ouch! If this is the worst that happens I'll still be happy with it.

Favorite Features

Over all I like the 05 Sienna XLE better the our previous Chrysler vans. Over all better performance, handling, ride and comfort. The additional storage and options are also great. There is no reason for anyone to be uncomfortable in this van. Due to all the options, For the first time, I had to pull out the owners manual to learn how to run everything. great turning radius. Kept catching myself cutting corners to sharp when I first got the van. 4 wheel disc brakes work great. Cruise control runs smooth. A/C/heat works great.

Suggested Improvements

Power doors- Poor durability. To expensive to fix. Radiators made of plastic- Bad idea, poor durability, Replacements very expensive. Poorly made parts that are very expensive to repair only result in unhappy customers and poor reviews that result in customers considering other brands next time. no after market parts to beef up and improve handling and load stability, IE HP struts and sway bars without going with expensive air ride systems.

Define Reliable...
By channelinvest

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So the engine, transmission and drive-line are still good to go after 145k but what about everything else? To replace the sparkplugs, the engine has to be dropped which is very expensive. We've had a sliding door fail on us and it cost over $2k to repair. The other door is now starting to make a very similar sound. The tires they recommend are from the Camry since the van frame is based off it but the vehicle weighs a lot more so you eat through them very quickly. The rear springs are undersized and loose their life very quickly. Still haven't found a beefed-up/stronger solution yet so the butt is dragging. The automatic doors take a lot of power so batteries are short lived.

Favorite Features

All of the recall notices telling us to take our van in for repair...

Suggested Improvements

You got the engine and transmission down pat, now work on the rest.

Watch out for the doors!
By L. Bohanon

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Love this van for the comfort, and space! We have had it in for repair/maintenance on the automatic slider doors several times, the front driver side door broke at the hinge and needed to be totally replaced. This was in the first year that we owned it. We have wanted to give it back, but despite all of the trouble with the doors we love the comfort and space.

Favorite Features

Comfort, space, DVD, kid friendly features. This van is easy to drive, park, and it will turn on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

Make doors more sturdy. Extend warranty on rear slider doors.

Sienna XLE 1995 Experience
By David A Willis

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best car we've ever owned (I bought my first car in 1956). It has been extremely reliable. My only expenses have been for new tires and a new battery. I do nearly all my own maintenance. I follow all recommended maintenance recommended in the car's manual.

Favorite Features

Comfort, flexibility, reliability, looks.

Suggested Improvements

None. The best car we've ever owned!