2005 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Reliable and Versatile.
By pmerk28 on 03/14/14 07:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The internet brings out all the strange reviewers: people claiming horrible experiences and people who use this forum to complain about the dealers instead of the actual product. I have had this car new since August 2005. As of this writing it now has 190,000 miles. There are hard Long lsland, NY miles. The radiator finally rotted out. Is this unreasonable? The lift gate shocks failed at around 150,000 miles. I ordered a pair online for well under $100.00 and installed them in 10 mins. Mileage is very good for a huge vehicle. I still get 18 mpg city and 22 or so on the highway. The exhaust system is still all original. Nothing leaks. No problems with the sliding doors so far.

Great van so far. Still afraid the will shoe to drop.
By bhildebrand on 03/06/14 17:20 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought second hand in Nov 2012. Owned 2 Chrysler vans before this one. Got this 05 sienna XLE with 97000 all prepped and ready to go. In Dec we went from PA to CA and back in comfort & had a great trip. Van didn't give so much as a hick-up. Got 21mpg average over all. But with 5 adults & lots of luggage I guess that's not bad even though I was hopping for better. just over a year now (mar 2014)with no major problems. Power doors acting up over winter but have learnt to deal with it. will cut cable and run manual if need be. now have 121000miles. Went in for 100000mile services and found cracked radiator. Ouch! If this is the worst that happens I'll still be happy with it.

Define Reliable...
By channelinvest on 11/11/13 13:43 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So the engine, transmission and drive-line are still good to go after 145k but what about everything else? To replace the sparkplugs, the engine has to be dropped which is very expensive. We've had a sliding door fail on us and it cost over $2k to repair. The other door is now starting to make a very similar sound. The tires they recommend are from the Camry since the van frame is based off it but the vehicle weighs a lot more so you eat through them very quickly. The rear springs are undersized and loose their life very quickly. Still haven't found a beefed-up/stronger solution yet so the butt is dragging. The automatic doors take a lot of power so batteries are short lived.

It started off so well
By nashvegasmom on 07/24/13 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought van brand new after bad Chrysler T&C. The first 3 years were great. Here is the laundry list of problems we have encountered, none unique to us: rear door not staying up - repaired b4 recall issued, tires wear extremely quickly even w/ regular rotation, radio does not respond to buttons correctly and often has no display or only partial digital display, gear shift clip broken so have to hold with one hand while removing keys from ignition when you park, manual side door handle broken-2X, gasket around windshield detached and dealer blamed on auto carwashes that I rarely used, side doors freeze shut every winter-in NASHVILLE!, auto door no longer works w/buttons - must start manually

Not thrilled with Quality does not feel like Toyota product
By gigi24 on 04/17/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am really disappointed about the quality of 2005 Toyota Sienna. It has 112,000 miles and about 8 months ago things starts braking one at a time. Here are some of the issues I have uncounted. * Tries are rotated at every 5,000 miles and alignment at every 15,000 miles still Tires wear at an angle. * Cracks start appearing on the dash board, now cracks are expanded across entire dash board. * Power steering rack start leaking on the both ends and dealer wants $1,800 replace it * Rubbers hosing that holds antenna broken and other rubber items stats cracking * The glue that holds glass to the windows motor came off . * Tailgate struts broken rear door does not keep up.

Good Van / Avoid Crooked Dealerships
By j_ly on 05/30/12 07:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Sienna used from a private party in 2007 with 40,000 miles and I have over 130,000 miles on it today. I put new Michelin tires from Sams Club on at 90,000 miles (rotate every 10K) and they still have over half of their tread life. I changed spark plugs and plug wires as well as the timing belt at 110,000 miles. That's it! I received a recall notice for the spare tire holder so had to bring to dealership. When I got my van back I was told I needed a new radiator ($800) and cabin air filter ($80). I brought the van back to my mechanic and he said the radiator was fine and took 2 minutes to change the cabin filter ($15). That was 15,000 miles ago!

Tires replaced to often!
By leanneasa on 02/23/12 18:18 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2005 Limited Sienna Van brand new. We have had to replace the tires every 23 to 26,000 miles. We have had the tires rotated, alligned and balanced as suggested. The tire manufactures cannot figure out why the tires will not last and have been replacing them free because they are not lasting until the warranty period is up. Firestone has given us 3 free sets of tires, Gateway gave us 1 free and 1 prorated. The local Toyota service manager told me that this is just the way the vans ride and it is normal????? BEWARE

We have owned this van 4 years now.....
By myfj40 on 10/17/11 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not a bad van by any means. We have grown very comfortable with it and can rely on it to get us were we need to be every time. When we first bought it (pre-owned) we had an intermittent problem with the front blower not working. In troubleshooting that it seemed as though the "techs" had torn into the problem and never located the culprit....The relay had a manufacturing defect; as did the rest of the identical ones in the van. After ordering replacement relays (From Japan and not Tennessee as were the factory ones) it has worked finer ever since. Sometimes it is worth it to buy parts that are built correctly !!!

Was in love, but now just in 'like'...
By wismom on 10/05/11 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Loved this van when I bought it used in 2009. Spacious interior, reliable. Then it let me down. I opened the sliding passenger door and it wouldn't shut. Tried to override to manual...but no luck. Still wouldn't shut. Called Toyota, they filed a claim and provided a # then said management occassionally 'reviews'. But they could do nothing. Called dealership and they said they've never heard of such a thing. Went online and TONS of Sienna owners are dealing with the same issue. Apparently it is with the cable in the door. It either frays, jambs, or has other issues. Cutting the cable is a quick cheap solution and works! Now I carry a wire cutter for when the other door fails.

Stay away from 2005...
By jinxx15 on 07/13/11 17:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Toyota Sienna in June 2009, had it till May 2011. We started to notice a ticking noise coming from below the car, turns out the tranny was done, and we also found out later that week that the radiator was leaking! They wanted 4200$ to fix the darn thing! When we traded it in it for a new car, it turns out that 5 years earlier, the van had been in a 7000$ wreck which Guelph Toyota failed to disclose... I would never go Toyota again.