Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Thinking of another brand
By Hmmm....

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned five Toyotas- trucks, cars, station wagon, Loved them all until this van. It has been nothing but problems, expense and disappointment. Battery replaced twice, display lights not trusted, VSF and TRAC failed within 14 months, radiator replacement, brakes constantly needing work, cover casket needs replacement, radiator seam cracked again- recalls. Electrical breaking down so auto door unlock no longer works when turn car off, rear gate breakdown/dangerous etc. A most expensive vehicle and one that has me wondering if my next car will be a Toyota after more than twenty years. Reminds me of the poor quality American brands- can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Favorite Features

I like ride and comfort. Design is very nice for a van.

Suggested Improvements

Get back to quality. The problems are simply too many and too disconnected for it to be simple coincidence- get back to Toyota basics but I think you have already lost me.

One Headache After Another-Unreliable
By stacy banks

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

If there is an example that Toyota doesn't have its thumb on quality control, it is me. I jumped the car 14 times the first year I owned it even though the battery checked out O.K. They said it didn't need to be replaced. Just after the warranty expired, it needed to be replaced. Power door broke-$1500 to fix. Electric locks go crazy and can't open doors. Have to crawl out. Has never shifted smoothly although transmission checks out O.K. Frequently lurches and downshifts unexpectedly. Radiator replaced in 2nd year. None in stock had to wait a week. The rocker panels rusted in the first year. I had to change the tires in the first month - not good on snow and ice. Generally, a bad car.

Favorite Features

Turning radius is brilliant. 2nd seat side windows roll down. Interior is comfortable and spacious. Rear storage is very good. Light blue on the instrument panel is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality, especially that pertaining to electronics. It is a little scary not to be able to get out of your car. I would also suggest an automatic light shut off. The air conditioning vent in the second row blows on passenger's heads. I have heard a number of complaints about that.

Dissatisfied
By P. Ary

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I own a 2004 (8 seating) Toyota Sienna LE. I have had to replace tires 2 times. There have been 5 or 6 recalls. It is in the shop today with loud humming noise from engine. But the most disappointing thing is that the dash has split in 3 places. I contacted the dealership and Toyota directly and they offered me no help. The car was beyond its warranty, but I have owned 8 cars (4 Toyotas) during my driving life and have never had a dash split. Toyota told me that I must have done something to it, although they could not suggest what it might be. The van is kept in a garage when not in use and I always crack the windows when it is summer time. Cannot recommend Toyota anymore.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality of carpet, mats, plastic coverings on the seats where they fold. Put tires on vans that are made to carry the weight of the van.

Be wary
By owner in wisconsin

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have read many positive reviews of the Sienna but ever since I bought this car in 2003 it has been a money pit. I have replaced the tires...twice! Also, last spring replaced the radiator and now the auto shop tells me I need to sink another $500 into the axle shaft. I hate this car.

Favorite Features

The 'fluff' options are great. We love the fold down seats and rear audio control.

Pretty Decent and Useful Van
By kickserves

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I still have the 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD van. It's been a solid performer since day 1. It's quiet, powerful, dependable, and comfortable on long trips. We live in New England, and it's great in the winter. We have the 7-seat option, so there is plenty of room. I have had a few service items, some expected, some not. Problem areas: Oxygen and Air/Fuel sensors, inconsistent electrical problems with doors & windows, brake rotors/disks, rear wheel bearings.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, stable in bad weather driving conditions. Air bags and curtains. I did not think I'd like the automatic doors, but they have been very useful. Climate controls in front and rear.

Suggested Improvements

Parking sensor warning lights need better placement, Run-flat tires need better monitoring system, the alloy wheels are showing some finish flaking.