2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Too Many Odd Problems
By Catlin on 03/26/08 07:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van when they were first released and we've had the feeling that Toyota was rushing to get them out to the dealerships. The driver side window fell off track and broke inside the door, the power door locked open and we had to cut the cable to get it closed, brakes and tires were replaced, and now the power steering needs repaired. Nothing has been covered under warranty or recall so far. We do wish we had held off and bought a Honda and may end up taking a loss and trading it in even though we had hoped to drive it for many more years.

2004 Toyota
By stsprader on 03/20/08 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in May 2004. Back air conditioning control worked on and off. Needed new tires at 40,000 miles. Needed new tires again at 80,000, and new tires wore on front after only 15,000 miles, even after alignment. Brakes needed replacing at 50,000 and never worked right after. Transmission went out at 85,000 mi. and I got rid of the van. Was very disappointed with Toyota quality.

Good family hauler
By Ray on 01/27/08 21:05 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Sienna for less than a year, yet have already discovered this van's virtues. It is very much the Camry of minivans: it is not a particularly exciting or involving vehicle to drive, but it gets you and 6 friends from point A to point B with little fuss. The drivetrain is refined and ride comfort is very good. All the vehicle's controls are simple to operate, and interior space is excellent. So far, I've averaged 9.5L/100km (25mpg) in mixed city/hwy driving, which is better than some 4cyl cars. I can't really comment on long-term reliability, but I haven't encountered any problems yet with the van. Overall, it's a very practical vehicle to own, albeit not a very inspiring one.

Recommended
By bkite on 11/16/07 17:13 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

71000 miles. Handles great in snow with four 215/65/16 Mich Xice tires: backed 30 yards across a grass field covered in snow up to the bumpers and towed a pickup truck out that couldn't move on its own. Who needs AWD and the associated additional costs? Quiet on hwy, great for long trips. OE tires lasted 50K. Brakes serviced once. MPG >20 city, 24.5-27@75mph, hit 30mpg@60mph sustained with 7 people on board on one trip. Only unexpected repair: radiator leak, cost $800, was not on recall.

Love my Sienna
By Alex Mullins on 11/05/07 06:15 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle. Even after 90000 miles it is tight and smooth. I enjoy the handling, tight turning radius, smooth Lexus-style and ride, great meileage, high-cube storage, rides level under heavy loads, excellent heat and A/C in all zones. It has never been in the shop other than for routine maintenance and the few factory recalls to correct issues that I would have never otherwise noticed. I appreciate all of the standard options, such as tilt/telescopic wheel, rear power passenger windows, 5-speed automatic transmission. My next Sienna will be the XLE with leather, sunroof, power lift-gate, back-up sensors, etc.

What happened to toyota quality?
By Dave on 10/17/07 12:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We're not aggressive or rough drivers, using a minivan for what it was intended, and we have followed all maintenance plans through local toyota dealer. Our experience has been miserable: First year, sliding doors rattled incessantly. Had to have door seals replaced (actually missing). 2nd year, catalytic converter went out, somehow causing traction control malfunction in snow storm. 3rd year: Power sliding door motor burned out. Out of warranty. Dealer provided parts, we paid for labor. Into 4th year now, cracked radiator, torn CV boots, intermittent/shorting rear heater controls. This is worse than the 1998 Dodge Caravan we traded in!!! Looking for something different now.

Cheap build
By yjjim on 10/04/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a Toyota Tundra for a couple years, I decided I'd buy another Toyota. Unfortunately, the Sienna has had a bunch of problems. Our most recent problems involve poor build quality, including: 1. The lock mechanism on the rear door came apart because all of the screws fell out. 2. The inside door panel of the driver side door is partially disconnected from the door and gets stuck on the weather stripping when you try to open the door. The clips that hold the panel on are plastic and they broke easily. 3. The first set of tires wore out very quickly. 4. The first set of brakes wore out very quickly. 5. The battery goes dead after about 15 minutes if a door is left open.

Good to Go
By Dan J on 08/26/07 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great van to roll the kids around in. Don't know why other people have issues with MPG? I ran this on Oahu traffic (bad) with 19 MPG and now up in the NW getting 22.1 avg. Step a little lighter on gas, it is powerfull for a van but not a race car, standard gas saving tips.... The OEM tires were awful and I did replace them @ 29K. Now up to 40K with no issues.

Love My Sienna
By PR on 08/17/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Sienna, I carry everything but the kitchen sink in it. It is roomy and has made life easier for me and my 4 year old. My only disappointment is that I do not think it is fast enough when I have to enter the highway or pass someone. Also, outside noise is not filtered and the air conditioner is not strong enough. Could be because it's a big car. Not sure, but overall, I'm happy. Oh, it's also great on gas!

2004 Sienna LE AWD
By RAMFJ62 on 08/03/07 11:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned several Toyota vehicles and never had the troubles encountered with this vehicle. My primary complaint is that the AWD van came with Dunlop run flat tires. These wore out at about 11,000 miles. Toyota replaced the first set due to all the complaints with the premature tire wear wearing. The transmission has a mind of it's own. It hesitates at times (usually between 5-10 mph). It's been reprogrammed by the dealer one time thus far. Driver's side wind noise is problematic. We average about 17 mpg.