Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

205,000 Miles and Doing Great
By Flyover Land

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

As a traveling sales rep I put a lot of miles on a vehicle. I also like to keep my vehicles until they are either no longer reliable or require repairs that exceed the value of the car. This van has been an excellent companion. I purchased it used with about 45,000 on it. I am now over 205,000 and it is running fine. The ride comfort and utility can not be beat. So far I have put 1 set of brakes and two sets of tires although one of these are winter tires mounted on steel rims. The only item that is a concern is the power sliding door. at about 150K the passenger side cable broke. I understand this is common in these years. I have not fixed it and I may not.

Favorite Features

HID headlight really light up the road. Love the dimming LH outside mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Better cable on power doors. Make middle seats lighter and more comfortable.

not perfect, but pretty good
By David

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never owned a Toyota, I was looking forward to it, I heard the stories(the cars never die). I believe that may be the case with this van,though it has not been with out flaws. Cons: Its underpowered compared to other vans I have driven, A loose body panel? Come on its a toyota, that shouldn't happen! At 53K the Radiator sprung a leak (Because of the design it can't be fixed by radiator shops,had to be replaced, $500! not good).mileage is below average (we never get over 19mpg on a tank) Pros: This sucker rides better than ANY luxury car I have been in (4200 lbs!) AWD is awesome, Interior is very solid & functional,great seats, it has 83k and drives like its showroom new. Hard to find a better Van.

Favorite Features

AWD, Durability, 83K and it literally drives like brand new, Brakes never touched, runs perfect, rides perfect, AV system - can plug in play station to jacks, 110 outlets every where, AWESOME seats, high grade leather, expensive look and feel and ride.

Suggested Improvements

NO SPARE TIRE - long story but be aware this model year has no spare tire. Bad idea. Stronger engine, outdated navigation

Overall great vehicle
By Rox

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall great vehicle, replaced brakes last year, but OEM tires after less than 30000, Michelin now make it exquisite to drive and handles like a car. Could be quieter with better sound insulation/window design. Interior could have used better layout and some adjustable light interior would be more user friendly especially at dashboard height and rear seat area. Windows interior front are very hard to clean.

Favorite Features

Sound system and handling is the best features but I have a limited so leather seats and some other amenities may not apply to regular Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

Better battery and power saver options have replaced battery twice now, DVD player kinda cheap.

Loved It Until Doors Malfunctioned
By DadOf4

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We loved this van until the sliding power doors started giving trouble. The driver side door cable became frayed (at 65K miles) and is on the verge of breaking. After getting a quote of about $1200+ to fix it, we just stopped using the door. Now the passenger side is making popping sounds and it might go soon. We will eventually just use the doors in manual mode. This seems to be a design flaw that troubles a lot of owners. We have always been a Toyota family, but may now consider other brands.

Favorite Features

Power side doors (which now do not work well), power rear hatch, comfortable seats, automatic climate controls (separate driver, passenger and rear), CD/cassette stereo system

Suggested Improvements

Better power sliding doors.

Great Reliable Family Vehicle
By Whazupgolf

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Sienna in 03, and had for 6 years. We just recently sold to a family of 5. We were sad to see it go, but ready for something more sporty. Only issues were A/C motor, window off track, and tires wore down quickly. There was a weird noise when windows were down, and the drive by wire technology caused a jerking motion sometimes upon acceleration. These are minor to us considering 126,000 miles and no major mechanical issues. Has lots of room, and rides unbelievably smooth. We just bought an 05 Highlander, and hope to have same experience.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, extremely roomy, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Noise factor very annoying, and the drive by wire jerking when accelerating (intermittent) needs improving.