2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
2004 Toyota Sienna LE
By Paul Alappat on 12/08/08 19:12 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst new automobile that I ever bought. Radio didn't work out of the dealership and it leaked when parked in the rain. A year later radiator cracked and was replaced. Then came multitude of recalls. Run flat tires needed to replaced every 15,000 miles. The kicker is when my van broke down due to a faulty heat sensor at 80,000 miles the Toyota extra care does not want to pay.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By Alex Mullins on 11/20/08 15:30 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in Canada, this van is great in snow. After 44 months and 195000 km, this vehicle has had only routine maintenance. We love the ride, the room for luggage, great highway vehicle, smooth ride, short turning radius, excellent sound system. Only regret is not getting the XLE. I can think of nothing negative to say about this vehicle. Just replaced the timing belt, water pump and plugs at 185000 km and it runs like new again. Local Toyota dealer wanted $900 plus for that work but i had it completed by a trusted small town mechanic for $560. Am on third set of Michelin all-weather tires. Had my first alignment and the vehicle runs smooth as glass. Averaging 25.4 miles hwy and city.

Toyota's best kept secret
By Massar on 11/18/08 12:31 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van brand-new as soon as the new 2004s came out. Traded from our Honda Odyssey. The Sienna is far more comfortable, quieter and more fuel efficient than the Honda. It drives and handles like a Lexus RX 330, gets around 23 mpg city and 29 highway, (loaded at 75 mph). We have over 95,000 miles on it now, and have done nothing but routine service. One set of brakes and one set of tires. Amazing that this vehicle will do everything that the big SUVs will do and still get such great mpg. When I see the big SUVs at the pump complaining I just smile. It may not look as fancy on the outside, but it does all it is asked to do with style. for a lot less.

A mixed opinion...
By Leafie on 08/18/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Beautiful ride. Crappy tires. On my fourth set. Needed them at 18000 39000 60000 and I know I will be ready for new ones soon. Brakes and calipers went in less than 2 years. Couldn't get in with Toyota, got in somewhere else and they wouldn't warranty it. Had 2 radiators, both under warranty. Driver and passenger doors stick and won't open sometimes. God awful sound coming from front tire, like a rotation sound. Got belts replaced for serpentine and squeal really bad. I love the ride and the comfort, but the little stuff kills you. Happy with the ride for the most part. Tires were huge issue. People who design them blame Toyota and Toyota doesn't do anything about it

Good, solid vehicle
By justchuck on 08/18/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned our 2004 for almost 4 yrs. now. Have about 47,000 miles on it. It is built very well in terms of ride quality and noise. There have been two reliability issues, both of which were covered under warranty, a window motor and a speed sensor. The original tires were cheap garbage and lasted only about 40K. The best replacement is for them is the Yokohama's, a steal at about $100 each installed. The Yokohama's are rated for 80K. My only complaint with this vehicle is the gas mileage. We have averaged 17.7 MPG since new, and this is a mix of suburban and highway driving. It will get 25-26 MPG at 60-65 MPH, but only about 22-23 MPG at 75-80 MPH. Otherwise, safe, comfortable, reliable.

After 5 Years
By Mark on 07/06/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Owned this van for exactly 5 years and just received one big repair bill. After only 42K miles needed to replace the front control arms at considerable expense. Also needed to replace the rear brakes and rotors, and the tires. When asked why they needed replacement so soon, was told the van is very heavy. Otherwise, have been very happy with this van. Very comfortable on road trips. A bit disappointed in the number of recalls; gas tank, radiator, power steering hoses, and 2 other minor items.

Love my Sienna, 75K miles later!
By christine on 06/30/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

As a sworn minivan hater, I finally saw the light in 2004. I spend much of my time toting my two young kids around, and this van is perfect for the job. There is a mirror to view the backseat built into the car! The back windows can go down! The sliding doors can be controlled by me! The rear liftgate is also automatic and can be controlled by the driver! As a mom, these are amazing benefits that I didn't even know I was missing with my old SUV. Other than going through a few sets of tires, I have had NO problems with it. The ultimate Mom-mobile, I highly recommend it to those who spend a lot of time schlepping the kids.

Buyer Beware
By Supherb on 06/24/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has probably been one of the most disappointing vehicles that I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot in the past 50 years). Gas mileage has been worse than my GMC V8 pickup, cruise control that downshifts on the slightest grade, run flat tires replaced at 12K, wheels replaced due to excessive pitting, lower control arm bushings worn out at 35K, front brakes worn out at 35K (most of this mileage is long freeway trips) . My greatest concern is with the Toyota tire pressure monitoring system that does not monitor tire pressure but monitors the change in circumference of the tires. This does not work with run flat tires because the tire walls do not distort even with 0# air pressure.

Everlasting Toyota
By Alexander Fabian on 06/11/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

84,000 miles and counting. This has been a great car. So far (knock on wood) we've had no problems at all and no unscheduled repairs. INCREDIBLE!! Some cars can hardly make it that far. Although, wear and tear is definitely apparent. It's much louder (engine, road noise, and wind noise), rougher, and slower than when it was newer. Toyota has sent home a few recalls, including a rear seat belt and the power lift gate. The middle seats don't recline! That's probably the worst part about the car. We had a 91 dodge caravan and those seats were more comfortable. Heated seats are awesome. Leather has hardly worn. Overall a great family car with more than plenty room for seven and tons of stuff.

Wonderful van
By L. Johns on 05/17/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Now have 83,000 miles on my Sienna. It Has the best turning radius, comfort, handling and quiet cabin of any car I've owned. My friends all love it for its comfort, even in the back seat and its ride over curvy roads. It has enormous capacity. In 83,000 miles I've paid for one AC relay and normal maintainance and upkeep. I'm on the original set of brakes and they still have half their life. I feel very safe in this car.