2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
not perfect, but pretty good
By David on 01/04/10 21:04 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never owned a Toyota, I was looking forward to it, I heard the stories(the cars never die). I believe that may be the case with this van,though it has not been with out flaws. Cons: Its underpowered compared to other vans I have driven, A loose body panel? Come on its a toyota, that shouldn't happen! At 53K the Radiator sprung a leak (Because of the design it can't be fixed by radiator shops,had to be replaced, $500! not good).mileage is below average (we never get over 19mpg on a tank) Pros: This sucker rides better than ANY luxury car I have been in (4200 lbs!) AWD is awesome, Interior is very solid & functional,great seats, it has 83k and drives like its showroom new. Hard to find a better Van.

Overall great vehicle
By Rox on 12/01/09 15:40 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall great vehicle, replaced brakes last year, but OEM tires after less than 30000, Michelin now make it exquisite to drive and handles like a car. Could be quieter with better sound insulation/window design. Interior could have used better layout and some adjustable light interior would be more user friendly especially at dashboard height and rear seat area. Windows interior front are very hard to clean.

Loved It Until Doors Malfunctioned
By DadOf4 on 11/12/09 09:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We loved this van until the sliding power doors started giving trouble. The driver side door cable became frayed (at 65K miles) and is on the verge of breaking. After getting a quote of about $1200+ to fix it, we just stopped using the door. Now the passenger side is making popping sounds and it might go soon. We will eventually just use the doors in manual mode. This seems to be a design flaw that troubles a lot of owners. We have always been a Toyota family, but may now consider other brands.

Great Reliable Family Vehicle
By Whazupgolf on 10/10/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Sienna in 03, and had for 6 years. We just recently sold to a family of 5. We were sad to see it go, but ready for something more sporty. Only issues were A/C motor, window off track, and tires wore down quickly. There was a weird noise when windows were down, and the drive by wire technology caused a jerking motion sometimes upon acceleration. These are minor to us considering 126,000 miles and no major mechanical issues. Has lots of room, and rides unbelievably smooth. We just bought an 05 Highlander, and hope to have same experience.

Thinking of another brand
By Hmmm.... on 09/26/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned five Toyotas- trucks, cars, station wagon, Loved them all until this van. It has been nothing but problems, expense and disappointment. Battery replaced twice, display lights not trusted, VSF and TRAC failed within 14 months, radiator replacement, brakes constantly needing work, cover casket needs replacement, radiator seam cracked again- recalls. Electrical breaking down so auto door unlock no longer works when turn car off, rear gate breakdown/dangerous etc. A most expensive vehicle and one that has me wondering if my next car will be a Toyota after more than twenty years. Reminds me of the poor quality American brands- can't tell you how disappointed I am.

One Headache After Another-Unreliable
By stacy banks on 09/13/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

If there is an example that Toyota doesn't have its thumb on quality control, it is me. I jumped the car 14 times the first year I owned it even though the battery checked out O.K. They said it didn't need to be replaced. Just after the warranty expired, it needed to be replaced. Power door broke-$1500 to fix. Electric locks go crazy and can't open doors. Have to crawl out. Has never shifted smoothly although transmission checks out O.K. Frequently lurches and downshifts unexpectedly. Radiator replaced in 2nd year. None in stock had to wait a week. The rocker panels rusted in the first year. I had to change the tires in the first month - not good on snow and ice. Generally, a bad car.

Dissatisfied
By P. Ary on 08/31/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I own a 2004 (8 seating) Toyota Sienna LE. I have had to replace tires 2 times. There have been 5 or 6 recalls. It is in the shop today with loud humming noise from engine. But the most disappointing thing is that the dash has split in 3 places. I contacted the dealership and Toyota directly and they offered me no help. The car was beyond its warranty, but I have owned 8 cars (4 Toyotas) during my driving life and have never had a dash split. Toyota told me that I must have done something to it, although they could not suggest what it might be. The van is kept in a garage when not in use and I always crack the windows when it is summer time. Cannot recommend Toyota anymore.

Be wary
By owner in wisconsin on 08/19/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have read many positive reviews of the Sienna but ever since I bought this car in 2003 it has been a money pit. I have replaced the tires...twice! Also, last spring replaced the radiator and now the auto shop tells me I need to sink another $500 into the axle shaft. I hate this car.

Pretty Decent and Useful Van
By kickserves on 08/14/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I still have the 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD van. It's been a solid performer since day 1. It's quiet, powerful, dependable, and comfortable on long trips. We live in New England, and it's great in the winter. We have the 7-seat option, so there is plenty of room. I have had a few service items, some expected, some not. Problem areas: Oxygen and Air/Fuel sensors, inconsistent electrical problems with doors & windows, brake rotors/disks, rear wheel bearings.

Checking in-approaching 60K
By chuckfromli on 07/29/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Still have this van. I think I've reviewed it on Edmunds before. It will be five years old in September 2009. It has about 58,000 miles on it now. I'm very happy with it, as is my wife. Other than a couple of minor things, sensors, a window motor, things like that, it has been trouble free. Even those things were covered under warranty. I don't think we've laid out any money for repairs. We have for maintenance, of course. Still on our second set of brake pads. Had the coolant and hoses changed. Should probably spring for plugs, cap and wires soon, but it still runs fine. Toyota treats its customers very well. Van is fantastic on trips, roomy, smooth, quiet. 25-26 MPG highway, 18-19 overall