Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 736 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By nc3

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a complete lemon.
I have had so many things go wrong with this car and Toyota DOES NOT CARE.
This will be the last Toyota I ever buy.
The sliding door has been broken at least four times, I've had to spend money to replace several things in the drive shaft at a cost of hundreds of dollars, things fall apart and the quality sucks.

Seats 8

Everything

Get ripped off by Toyota
By sdgirl2

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Toyota Sienna had a faulty radiator.
Who has to replace a radiator in today's cars?
I contacted Toyota regarding this and they didn't care.
I then had trouble with my power steering that has a recall on 2004 Sienna's but guess what? My particular vin # is not covered under the recall.
Coincidence?
I think not!
I was told by my mechanic that Toyota takes about 1 in 3 calls and does something about it.
Oh, also you get to replace the Timing Belt at 90,0000 miles to the tune of $1500!
I bought this car thinking I could get a good 200,000 miles out of it (because according to the dealer - this is a quality vehicle and that's why we don't dicker on prices!).
I don't think so!!!

Not bad!
By ksgirl1

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 04 used in 2008 with 55Kmi. I just sold it in Oct. with 90K miles. I thought it was a great car. Super comfy and great smooth and quiet ride. My complaints would be the heated seats never seemed to get more than lukewarm. I also thought it took awhile to warm the interior of this car in the winter. The other issue we had was the DVD player would sometimes not eject the discs but other than that it was a great car for us. The only reason I sold it was because I was ready for something non "mom like". I would reccomend.

Navigation with touch screen was great. DVD player was great when it worked properly, the rear outlet was great for the kids to plug in their DSi's. Loved the power liftgate and power doors. Loved the big sunroof and the small back vent windows to circulate air.

Darker interior carpet. I am very picky about keeping my car clean and the light grey carpet was very hard to keep clean with snow boots, soccer cleats etc.

Checking-in at 47,000 miles
By jaazcass

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

1) Sliding door not working properly: The minivan has one automatic sliding door and one manually operated sliding door. Shortly after purchase we recognized that the manually operated sliding door is not getting closed. After multiple visits at dealer service garage they told us that we should multiple times slam the door until it is properly closed. The problem is, if the door is not ajar the interior lighting is remains permanently on and it drains the battery over night. This is the second battery, which is not working anymore and I must purchased the third.
2) Brakes: All four brakes (disk and path) needed to be replaced before 40,000 miles
3) Brake noise: During turning the brakes makes noise. The service garage changed the front brakes one more time after it was replaced before, but the problem didn’t go away.
4) Safety built sensor damaged: The safety built warning light was blinking permanently until the sensor was replaced.
5) Air-conditioning: The air conditioning failed during a vacation trip. Toyota service told us that this was to be replaced anyhow due to a recall.
6) Under chassis plastic part fall of: Parts were replaced.
7) Tire Inflation Monitoring (TIM) signal: The left rear tire was replaced. Since the TIM warning light is blinking. After 3 visits to the service garage a permanent fix was not possible. Still blinking. At least they have used a high quality bulb, because I was hoping the bulb will be damaged. I try to find the fuse and deactivate the TIM,s module, because the service garage have no ideas anymore to fix it.
8) All four tires needed to replaced before 40,000 miles
9) All service and repairs was performed at authorized and certified Toyota dealer ship.
My rational for buying for Sienna was, because at that time this was the only minivan with AWD, which is really important for Michigan winter driving condition. Additionally Sienna 2004 offered the Electronic Stability Control, which is an important safety feature. The price was higher compare to other minivan such as Honda Odyssey, but I was thinking that the premium price I am paying for this minivan is justified for the high quality of Toyota. At that time there was a quality image associate with Toyota. My wife, when she saw the Sienna for the first time she didn’t like the appeal of it. She told me that this minivan has a charm like “a used toothbrush”. I encouraged her to buy this minivan for the good quality and now my wife never lessons to me for car buying decisions.

Checking in at 74K
By ChuckfromLI

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just had the spark plugs replaced at 74K. It was running fine, but had that done anyway at Toyota dealer along with PCV valve, air filter, oil change and tire rotation. Total bill was $625 with the tax (8.5%). The plugs are a big job on this year Sienna because the intake manifold needs to be removed to change them, hence it is about three hours labor for the plus alone. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there is no distributor cap or plug wires to change. Van still runs and drives as new. There may be a slight whistling sound from the passenger side front window at highway speeds. Other than that, still happy with it.

Overall comfort and quiet. Great for family trips. Feels very safe and secure.

Gas mileage could be better. Have averaged 17.8 MPG overall in 74K miles. That is about half highway and half crowded suburban driving. It will return 25-26 MPG on long highway trips if you keep it under 70 MPH.