Used 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

XLE Limited 300,000 Miles with only Minor Issues
By walleyeman57

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van with 60K miles on it in 2007. Since then I have put over 240 more. This has been the most reliable car or truck I have ever owned. The items I have repaired or replaced include tires, brakes, spark plugs, and two timing belts. I had to have a new A/C compressor last summer. Both power sliding door cables broke some time ago but I have not fixed them because the doors open and close with one finger-they are a waste. This van still has the original alternator, starter, shocks, springs and of course engine and transmission. It rides and drives nice with no real issues. I would rate the comfort very good.

Favorite Features

I thought I would love the laser cruise but on this van I use it only on two lane roads when passing is limited. The auto dimming rear view mirrors are great-esp. the drivers outside mirror. The folding seats -including the front passenger seat are great for trips and allow passengers to recline and put feet up. The HID headlights put out great light and illuminate signs and markers much better. I typically get about 23 MPG overall.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat is the most comfortable as the other seats hinge high and do not fit me well. The cables on the power sliders should be stainless to prevent rusting.

Not bad!
By ksgirl1

I bought my 04 used in 2008 with 55Kmi. I just sold it in Oct. with 90K miles. I thought it was a great car. Super comfy and great smooth and quiet ride. My complaints would be the heated seats never seemed to get more than lukewarm. I also thought it took awhile to warm the interior of this car in the winter. The other issue we had was the DVD player would sometimes not eject the discs but other than that it was a great car for us. The only reason I sold it was because I was ready for something non "mom like". I would reccomend.

Favorite Features

Navigation with touch screen was great. DVD player was great when it worked properly, the rear outlet was great for the kids to plug in their DSi's. Loved the power liftgate and power doors. Loved the big sunroof and the small back vent windows to circulate air.

Suggested Improvements

Darker interior carpet. I am very picky about keeping my car clean and the light grey carpet was very hard to keep clean with snow boots, soccer cleats etc.

Great Used Minivan
By KVN

We are really happy that we bought a used 2004 Sienna Limited edition vs Odyssey EXL. It has all the require elements that my wife and I were looking for in a minivan. Safety and entertainment features like side curtain airbag, DVD for the kids, parking sensor and handling. The mileage has not been bad. Getting around 16 city and 23 highway with full blast AC. The only draw back so far with the Sienna is that the tire doesn't last long. I am a conservative driver. Even with tire rate for 60K miles, I am getting around 27K. Oh well hopefully the Sienna doesn't breakdown on me until end of life on the new Michelin Hydroedge.

Favorite Features

standard Side Curtain air bag for the current model, Parking sensor, and DVD to keep the kids quite during the long ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension so tire doesn't wear out to fast.

Too expensive on tires
By EDU

Good for traveling but we have had to replace several tires and do more then normal alignments. More then one mechanic said the alignment was a problem. This has cost us money that should not be an issue. Also the noise level is bad and the CD players does not work well.

Favorite Features

The passenger sliding door and automatic rear door opener is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Really needs improvement in the alignment and noise level. A better placement of the CD player may keep it away from the sun and it may work better.

Worst Toyota Ever
By Shock

I knew within 6 months this car would not last. I owned it exactly 5 years and had 115k miles on it. Repair Bill at 5 years after spending tons on the 90k service, more than $8k. 1) Both rear passenger sliding doors broken. Watch those cables visible on the sides just under the very back window, they fail and then get stuck in the motor. Over $2800 each to repair. 2) Leaking transmission (2x already) 3) Power steering Motor failure 4) Motor leaking oil in the head gasket 5) Motor leaking oil behind the timing belt 6)3 O2 sensors (yea 3) bad. ==> Junk