2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
XLE Limited 300,000 Miles with only Minor Issues
By walleyeman57 on 02/15/12 12:06 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van with 60K miles on it in 2007. Since then I have put over 240 more. This has been the most reliable car or truck I have ever owned. The items I have repaired or replaced include tires, brakes, spark plugs, and two timing belts. I had to have a new A/C compressor last summer. Both power sliding door cables broke some time ago but I have not fixed them because the doors open and close with one finger-they are a waste. This van still has the original alternator, starter, shocks, springs and of course engine and transmission. It rides and drives nice with no real issues. I would rate the comfort very good.

Not bad!
By ksgirl1 on 01/06/11 18:21 PM (PST)

I bought my 04 used in 2008 with 55Kmi. I just sold it in Oct. with 90K miles. I thought it was a great car. Super comfy and great smooth and quiet ride. My complaints would be the heated seats never seemed to get more than lukewarm. I also thought it took awhile to warm the interior of this car in the winter. The other issue we had was the DVD player would sometimes not eject the discs but other than that it was a great car for us. The only reason I sold it was because I was ready for something non "mom like". I would reccomend.

Great Used Minivan
By KVN on 07/19/10 01:27 AM (PDT)

We are really happy that we bought a used 2004 Sienna Limited edition vs Odyssey EXL. It has all the require elements that my wife and I were looking for in a minivan. Safety and entertainment features like side curtain airbag, DVD for the kids, parking sensor and handling. The mileage has not been bad. Getting around 16 city and 23 highway with full blast AC. The only draw back so far with the Sienna is that the tire doesn't last long. I am a conservative driver. Even with tire rate for 60K miles, I am getting around 27K. Oh well hopefully the Sienna doesn't breakdown on me until end of life on the new Michelin Hydroedge.

Too expensive on tires
By EDU on 06/20/10 06:00 AM (PDT)

Good for traveling but we have had to replace several tires and do more then normal alignments. More then one mechanic said the alignment was a problem. This has cost us money that should not be an issue. Also the noise level is bad and the CD players does not work well.

Worst Toyota Ever
By Shock on 03/11/10 06:05 AM (PST)

I knew within 6 months this car would not last. I owned it exactly 5 years and had 115k miles on it. Repair Bill at 5 years after spending tons on the 90k service, more than $8k. 1) Both rear passenger sliding doors broken. Watch those cables visible on the sides just under the very back window, they fail and then get stuck in the motor. Over $2800 each to repair. 2) Leaking transmission (2x already) 3) Power steering Motor failure 4) Motor leaking oil in the head gasket 5) Motor leaking oil behind the timing belt 6)3 O2 sensors (yea 3) bad. ==> Junk

205,000 Miles and Doing Great
By Flyover Land on 01/27/10 12:16 PM (PST)

As a traveling sales rep I put a lot of miles on a vehicle. I also like to keep my vehicles until they are either no longer reliable or require repairs that exceed the value of the car. This van has been an excellent companion. I purchased it used with about 45,000 on it. I am now over 205,000 and it is running fine. The ride comfort and utility can not be beat. So far I have put 1 set of brakes and two sets of tires although one of these are winter tires mounted on steel rims. The only item that is a concern is the power sliding door. at about 150K the passenger side cable broke. I understand this is common in these years. I have not fixed it and I may not.

Overall great vehicle
By Rox on 12/01/09 15:40 PM (PST)

Overall great vehicle, replaced brakes last year, but OEM tires after less than 30000, Michelin now make it exquisite to drive and handles like a car. Could be quieter with better sound insulation/window design. Interior could have used better layout and some adjustable light interior would be more user friendly especially at dashboard height and rear seat area. Windows interior front are very hard to clean.

Thinking of another brand
By Hmmm.... on 09/26/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

I have owned five Toyotas- trucks, cars, station wagon, Loved them all until this van. It has been nothing but problems, expense and disappointment. Battery replaced twice, display lights not trusted, VSF and TRAC failed within 14 months, radiator replacement, brakes constantly needing work, cover casket needs replacement, radiator seam cracked again- recalls. Electrical breaking down so auto door unlock no longer works when turn car off, rear gate breakdown/dangerous etc. A most expensive vehicle and one that has me wondering if my next car will be a Toyota after more than twenty years. Reminds me of the poor quality American brands- can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Love my Sienna, 75K miles later!
By christine on 06/30/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

As a sworn minivan hater, I finally saw the light in 2004. I spend much of my time toting my two young kids around, and this van is perfect for the job. There is a mirror to view the backseat built into the car! The back windows can go down! The sliding doors can be controlled by me! The rear liftgate is also automatic and can be controlled by the driver! As a mom, these are amazing benefits that I didn't even know I was missing with my old SUV. Other than going through a few sets of tires, I have had NO problems with it. The ultimate Mom-mobile, I highly recommend it to those who spend a lot of time schlepping the kids.

Great design, poor quality
By Gabriel on 08/02/06 10:29 AM (PDT)

The design is excellent, but since the very beginning I have had numerous qualtiy problems. Battery dead twice. Sliding door did not work (spring broken), despite many repairs, sun roof auto feature does not work, air conditioning broke down (car two and a half weeks in shop), back panel of driver seat fell off, heated driver seat did not work, also one or two recalls.