2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
I will never buy Toyota again
By love4cars2014 on 06/24/14 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We brought this car of the dealers lot in Dec 2003. We have had numerous problems with it. Except for its engine, everything has had problems. - Radiator blew off at 15K and again at 98K - Rear shock replaced at 35K - Body parts just rattle, rattle and more rattle - Water seeped into the rear of the car causing us to get that cleared couple times - Alignment goes off the whack every 6 months - I have to change tires every 2 years due to excessive wear. No one can tell why - Automatic door broke twice! Forutnately second time the part was covered under warranty - Radio has gone bad - Side door plastic cracked - Rear axle hub had to be changed at 95K - AutomaticWindowreplac

Great van!
By tallchris01 on 03/25/14 10:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van off-lease from a fleet at wholesale in November 2006 after our 2nd child was born. It had 50K miles and had been serviced exclusively at a Toyota dealer. We never had a single problem or breakdown. Just routine oil changes, tires, brake pads, timing belt. It was plenty big for my family of 4 on long trips. Our best was 25mpg. We loved the 3rd row fold-down bench and usually left it folded down so we could throw in our double stroller un-collapsed. We owned it for 2 1/2 years, put 50K miles on it and sold it easily.

Great Family Car, Now With More Interior Room
By johnfixesstuff on 03/20/14 08:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We upgraded from a 2003 to a 2004 Toyota Sienna and there is a BIG difference. The vehicle is like 6" wider and longer and it is so nice. We were not able to put a rear-facing car seat in the second row of captains chairs in our 2003 but the 2004 fits it nicely and my wife and I are both over 6' tall. The stowable rear seat is very nice too. The gas mileage is right around 20 mpg which could be better. It has plenty of power though and the ride is nice.

Extremely Happy after 10+ Years
By sf_sienna on 02/11/14 15:34 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2004 model in the summer of 2003 and now have 123K miles on it. Nearly flawless reliability with very minimal maintenance and repairs. The only issue we've run into has been the fairly common power door cable break. We had a lot of warning (noises, clunky operation) and had it inspected and were told it would cost $1600 to fix. We let it go and now the door is manual operation only. No big deal, we got over 10 years of use out of it while the kids were young. Other than this we've changed the timing belt, spark plugs, and front brake pads (@50K and @100K) plus the usual maintenance items such as oil, filters and tires. Each set of tires has gone between 32K and 38K miles.

Great Reliable Van
By scabledog on 01/27/14 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I once said I would never buy anything but a Ford or Chevy, but I am a Toyota believer now. Bought this van new in 2004 and it now has 175,000 miles on it with very little problems to speak of. Just routine maintenance for the most part. The dash did start to crack in the center at 100K and the radiator leaks a bit, but considering the mileage I cannot complain. I think this year I will replace the radiator finally, but still not terrible at 175K. Only other issue I had at about 155K was a front wheel bearing went bad. You know they are bad when you rumble down the road. Still a ton of mileage without major repair costs so really cannot complain!! Would definitely buy another Toyota!

Still Strong at 100K
By joepawlicki on 07/15/13 05:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My family has owned this car almost 10 years and its been an absolute champ. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, we've had to do a thing. Its been to and from mountains hauling kayaks, filled with dry wall and tools, and has been the primary delivery vehicle for our cake business. The drivers sliding door doesn't open automatically anymore but to be honest, I cant complain given the amount of use it has gotten. This would be a great used car to purchase.

2004 Sienna XLE at 180,000
By jnykodym on 12/13/12 16:41 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This minivan still rides like a cloud. Relatively minor repairs and maintenance: new timing belt at 120,000 and a warranty replacement of the rear gate lift pistons. I will never go back to a small car. At 180,000 miles it runs like new. Very very very happy. I expect to get at least 300,000 out of this van, very comfortably.

Hugely disappointed - van was a lemon or possessed
By racecarmom on 11/03/12 04:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2004 Sienna new. In the first 6 months, we had to replace the battery, the armrest fell off and the spare tire holder broke after one use. In the next three years, the panels on the front doors slid down and trapped me inside - I had crawl to the back seat to get out. My husband duct taped the panels on and no more problem - ugly but it worked. Then the sliding door panel's lock didn't work. You had to take a chopstick to hold the lock lever up until just before you closed it and then pull out the chopstick and slam the door. Other things broke with light use. Door weatherstripping falls down. Engine ran but looked like a beater van. Would not recommend this van.

'04 Sienna LE 7-passenger
By jrobey747 on 05/31/12 06:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I recently purchased a used '04 Sienna w/122,000 miles on it. I didn't think twice about buying this Sienna because of Toyota's reliabilty (we also own a '02 Camry w/175,000 miles on it). The model we got is the LE 7-passenger w/leather interior. It is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in and fun to drive, even though it's a minivan. Other than some slight vibration in the dash the Sienna drives like new, very smooth and quiet. My wife loves the right rear sliding door that opens w/a push of a button. Although, I have heard of many instances when the chain breaks in that power sliding door being a costly repair (over $1400 I believe). We love the minivan life!

XLE Limited 300,000 Miles with only Minor Issues
By walleyeman57 on 02/15/12 12:06 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van with 60K miles on it in 2007. Since then I have put over 240 more. This has been the most reliable car or truck I have ever owned. The items I have repaired or replaced include tires, brakes, spark plugs, and two timing belts. I had to have a new A/C compressor last summer. Both power sliding door cables broke some time ago but I have not fixed them because the doors open and close with one finger-they are a waste. This van still has the original alternator, starter, shocks, springs and of course engine and transmission. It rides and drives nice with no real issues. I would rate the comfort very good.