2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By nc3 on 12/29/11 13:32 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a complete lemon. I have had so many things go wrong with this car and Toyota DOES NOT CARE. This will be the last Toyota I ever buy. The sliding door has been broken at least four times, I've had to spend money to replace several things in the drive shaft at a cost of hundreds of dollars, things fall apart and the quality sucks.

Happy so far
By Happy so far on 07/28/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased at 92k from original owner who had only needed routine maintenance. Aside from radiator (below), our only maintenance has been scheduled (including the 90k timing belt swap) and an ATF flush for good measure. OEM front rotors finally replaced at over 100k. After being bled to death by domestic vehicle repair costs (and that with doing lots of the work ourselves) this has been a wonderful change. Easy to maintain, well-thought-out engine layout, etc. Sure footed and nimble: great in upstate NY snow with dedicated snow radials, and a quiet, controlled ride with good quality all-seasons the rest of the year. Our local repair shop is experienced with Toyotas, a good source for advice.

The dream is over.
By Toyota fan (NOT) on 07/16/10 22:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We were happy with the van until everything started to break down after 6 years. The list is long but I will listed the most expensive issues. The automatic door broke down.We replaced the hinge for $400 because it was bent. The siding door motor was disconnected and we were told that it will be another $2000 to fix it. The radiator is leaking. The engine block heater did not work and needs to be replaced. The spare tire mechanism did not work and was told last year that it would cost us over $200 to fix. Luckily, we had an extended warranty that covered the cost. The CD/Radio system is malfunctioning. Maybe it is time to put the van to sleep

Best minivan
By jeffv on 07/04/10 07:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has done a superb job. We have had 5 minivans. 4 Chryslers and one Pontiac Montana. We buy all of our vans with high milage with the exception of the Montana. I would take a Sienna with 190,000 miles over the others with half that. At 190,000 it is still tighter and smoother than the Montana with 50,000 miles. We have taken a number of trips with all 8 of us plus the back stuffed with luggage add a car top carrier & we still average 22.8 miles to the gallon. The best we have seen on a shorter trip was 26.7 mpg with no luggage. I just put the top rated new Michelin tires on it & it is so quiet you would almost think you were flying. I will definitely buy another Sienna.

Great Reliable Family Vehicle
By Whazupgolf on 10/10/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Sienna in 03, and had for 6 years. We just recently sold to a family of 5. We were sad to see it go, but ready for something more sporty. Only issues were A/C motor, window off track, and tires wore down quickly. There was a weird noise when windows were down, and the drive by wire technology caused a jerking motion sometimes upon acceleration. These are minor to us considering 126,000 miles and no major mechanical issues. Has lots of room, and rides unbelievably smooth. We just bought an 05 Highlander, and hope to have same experience.

Outstanding Vehicle
By PHG on 11/10/04 13:07 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I never thought I'd ever write a review about a minivan, much less a good review. I'm pretty sure I'm still a car guy, so it must be a great vehicle. (It is.) The Sienna has incredible storage options, decent power, good handling, good looks, nice ride, and is just an all around great buy. Headlights cast a great illumination path. It did a great job in a snowstorm in NY. We've only had a couple of minor trim problems, and a mysterious and now vanished engine ping. (I don't know why, by the way, that Edmunds has only got a best fuel mileage of 19mpg on their long-termer. We usually get around 25-28 on the highway, and that is at extra-legal speeds.)

great van
By orestes on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

best minivan I ever owned , great an gas and great on the hiway , very smooth and stable

Better than the last
By maomao on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 2nd Sienna. We really like the additional features to this re- designed model, such as the right sliding passenger door, the tons of cup holders, the great rear row fold down (my husband was developing muscles from pulling the seats in and out from the rear with our last Sienna), our 8th passenger seat in the 2nd row is a really plus (my son, age 5, sits in the middle smaller seat and his dad and grandma can sit on either side of him so we can keep the 3rd row of seats down for more trunk space), and the turn ratio is much better (I noticed my U-turns are tighter). Definite improvement and I paid less for this car than our last car.

It doesn't get any better than this!
By Moonmaiden1957 on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2000 Mazda MPV for this Van last month. Not only is the Sienna in a completely different class as a vehicle, the experience of actually buying the Sienna could not have been better. I swear, the Sienna doesn't drive, it levitates. Complete with DVD player, our new LE 8 passenger handles my three teenagers and a friend for each without flinching. Now having an 8 passenger vehicle means that Mom gets to bring a friend along too! Even the dogs love it and have plenty of room. Three cheers to Toyota for creating such a masterpiece!

Transmission requires help
By spectre on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My major complaint is an unfortunate lack of power when de-accelerating. For example when slowing down from a highway off-ramp to take a right turn. If you do not come to a complete stop, the transmission does not kick down and you get no acceleration till you stomp on the gas pedal. It is a bit scary when you are tryng to beat on-coming traffic. With the added cargo space in the back, filling up the van with 8 passengers and luggage taxes the rear suspension and driving is not too pleasureable!