Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Awesome van
By minime51ad

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this AWD van with 150K miles on it. It doesn't use a drop of oil, rides smooth and is free of major body defects but the prior owner did have it rustproofed regularly. I now have 180K miles on it and it is still running strong. The only serious problem has been a rear wheel bearing which cost less than $400 to repair. I love the sure footed feel of this van in our snowing northern climate.

Favorite Features

awd, spaciousness, comfortable front seating

Suggested Improvements

The van could use a stronger front window defroster for northern climates. OK if its cold but not when it's snowing hard and cold. It tends to build ice on the windshield.

I will never buy Toyota again
By love4cars2014

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We brought this car of the dealers lot in Dec 2003. We have had numerous problems with it. Except for its engine, everything has had problems. - Radiator blew off at 15K and again at 98K - Rear shock replaced at 35K - Body parts just rattle, rattle and more rattle - Water seeped into the rear of the car causing us to get that cleared couple times - Alignment goes off the whack every 6 months - I have to change tires every 2 years due to excessive wear. No one can tell why - Automatic door broke twice! Forutnately second time the part was covered under warranty - Radio has gone bad - Side door plastic cracked - Rear axle hub had to be changed at 95K - AutomaticWindowreplac

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, comfortable cruiser (when it works)

Suggested Improvements

Quality, Quality , Quality Listen to customers Stop Lying Toyota

Great van!
By tallchris01

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van off-lease from a fleet at wholesale in November 2006 after our 2nd child was born. It had 50K miles and had been serviced exclusively at a Toyota dealer. We never had a single problem or breakdown. Just routine oil changes, tires, brake pads, timing belt. It was plenty big for my family of 4 on long trips. Our best was 25mpg. We loved the 3rd row fold-down bench and usually left it folded down so we could throw in our double stroller un-collapsed. We owned it for 2 1/2 years, put 50K miles on it and sold it easily.

Favorite Features

Space, legroom, lots of storage nooks, fold down 3rd row, removable 2nd row seats. Adequate horsepower for the highway. We had manual sliding doors and trunk hatch (no worries of that ever breaking down). Great van!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Great Family Car, Now With More Interior Room
By johnfixesstuff

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We upgraded from a 2003 to a 2004 Toyota Sienna and there is a BIG difference. The vehicle is like 6" wider and longer and it is so nice. We were not able to put a rear-facing car seat in the second row of captains chairs in our 2003 but the 2004 fits it nicely and my wife and I are both over 6' tall. The stowable rear seat is very nice too. The gas mileage is right around 20 mpg which could be better. It has plenty of power though and the ride is nice.

Favorite Features

The rear DVD entertainment center, the leather seats, the built-in window shades, stowable rear seat, low floor in the tail end, space!

Suggested Improvements

The sliding doors on the side have cables that wear out after about 10 years--I had to replace one of mine already and the other one is due. It's a really expensive repair if you don't do it myself. I wrote up the repair on my blog if you're interested. The DVD player won't show a picture if you shut off the van in the middle of playing a show when you turn the van back on. I've written up how to get around that on my blog as well.

Extremely Happy after 10+ Years
By sf_sienna

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2004 model in the summer of 2003 and now have 123K miles on it. Nearly flawless reliability with very minimal maintenance and repairs. The only issue we've run into has been the fairly common power door cable break. We had a lot of warning (noises, clunky operation) and had it inspected and were told it would cost $1600 to fix. We let it go and now the door is manual operation only. No big deal, we got over 10 years of use out of it while the kids were young. Other than this we've changed the timing belt, spark plugs, and front brake pads (@50K and @100K) plus the usual maintenance items such as oil, filters and tires. Each set of tires has gone between 32K and 38K miles.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, I can drive 10 hrs without feeling tired. Great visibility. Smooth ride. Interior space, hauling capacity (interior, exterior). Quietness. Just the overall excellent ride that allows for enjoyable car trips. So much better than cramped little sedans, even full-size cars are no match for this minivan in terms of comfort.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to get better gas mileage. We get 20 mpg combined and our driving is more city than hwy. We used to get 26 mpg hwy (long trips) but in the past few years it's been closer to 24 mpg. With a van this size/weight you can't expect much more. New models are getting about the same so there hasn't been much improvement in 10+ years. I'd like to see a Hybrid Sienna!