2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
over 370,000...
By cab_man on 07/31/12 00:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sienna was purchased with 84,000 miles on it, it has been a taxi for 3 years now and has over 370,000 miles... normal maintanence and some minor interior annoyances, but this van has been fantastic. transmission is starting to slip now, but hey, look at the hard miles it gets as a taxi....looking for another sienna to replace it now.

Old faithful
By tstevens on 03/29/10 07:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van specifically for moving 5 adults and luggage across the country several times in the year. It handled the job nicely and even the teenage boys (who spread themselves out) seemed comfortable for multi-day car trips. We put 24,000 miles on it in the first 9 months. Gas mileage was only fair but didn't waver much between loaded and empty (20-23 mpg). Had trouble with sliding door mechanisms and the parts aren't cheap. Brakes haven't been a problem as I've been reading in other posts. We have 180,000 on ours and I venture to say it will go to 250,000 no problem.

02 Sienna XLE Minivan a Great Vehicle!
By Ken on 9/11/2009 on 09/11/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a great vehicle. This van has traveled all over the US and Canada in all types of weather. Never had a problem! It has hauled the family with 2 children and dog very comfortably. It now has 96,000 miles, and with proper maintenance every 3-5000 miles, it has been the best van we have owned (2 GM previously). The Sienna has even pulled a trailer on occasion showing lots of power. Gas mileage has been about 26 mpg highway/21 mpg in town. Toyota by far knows how to make a reliable, stylish vehicle with performance! We have purchased 2 additional Toyotas and once again they are excellent.

So far so great!
By MightyOlive on 09/03/09 23:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving this van for 8 yrs now without any major problems. The engine and transmission still runs like new. Had oil changed every 3,000 miles (using Synthetic High mile oil after 140,000 miles). It is so smooth and quiet. Replaced Transmission oil every 30K, timing belt/water pump at 120K. Only had a problem (Engine check light) with error code P1135 last week. Replaced with A/F sensor heater (costs me $220 with genuine Toyota part). It might be OK if I should have mechanic to reset it (I regret) because I put emission cleaner to the gas last week. No problem at all so far. Very happy.

Passenger Door & Sliding Door Problems
By homemakerdad on 08/11/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Passenger side door not responsive to remote or automatic features. The right sliding door just completely jammed yesterday. Earlier this year, the right side sliding door just closed on its own and trapped a passenger's finger. Earlier this month, had at least a couple of friends ask us what mini-van they purchase and we recommended the Sienna. Now I really regret making that recommendation after having these door problems and finding out this has been a common problem with this model.

Toyota let me down on this one
By Helene Schreiner on 12/27/07 13:19 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the vehicle which I purchased with 40,000 miles. Drives smoothly like my former Camry...love all the extra room. However, at 60,000 miles I have put in almost $3000 plus in maintenance. Had the car checked for a long 12 hr drive...brakes squeeked horribly...needed rear brake maintenance and also found a leak in trans. Hit the road next day and car bucked and shook...back to Toyotal...blew a cylinder and brakes locked up....lost my confidence in this car. This is something that should not have happened at 60,000 miles.

Where have you been all my life
By Jo on 06/23/05 03:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Was a hardcore SUV driver until I test drove this used Sienna XLE. Leather! Million cupholders! Sliding doors! Im thrilled with its performance and it zooms better than the Xterra (slug) that I was driving. Would love it if the dash wouldnt give off such a glare, love the sunroof but will have to get the DVD player in a bag or the headrests :( I got mine for 16,500 bluebook was 20K

Perfect family mobile
By metrojo on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice amenedies for a van. The style is better than most. The interior offers a very quite and comfortable ride. Acceleration is very good- no problems getting onto the freeway. The van is remarkably well built and trouble-free. The engine and tranny are smooth and work effortlessly toghether.

BRAKES SQUEAK
By Margaret T. on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had three Toyota cars before purchasing the Sienna van. I have never had a problem with any of the cars, so I expected the same with the Sienna. I like the van, except for the brakes. They squeak every time you stop. It is making me crazy. I am now shopping for a new van even though it is only two years old. I am not sure I will buy another Toyota. I am looking at the Honda vans/suvs.

Warning for Future Buyers
By WeileMom on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've loved our Sienna XLE. We traded in a 2000 LE that had oil gelling and planned to keep the XLE for 10 years. However, we have many complaints, the largest being squeaky breaks-a known Sienna problem since 2001. The breaks don't just squeak- they SCREAM! I would love to hear from other people with the same problem because Toyota says they can do absolutely nothing. The mechanics at Toyota told me to brake harder!! Also, the paint is bad and chips easily; the carpet colors are too light and show dirt; we have had a couple of warrantied things replaced. My husband is 6'5" and his knees touch the dashboard on the passenger side.