2002 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Column stick
By Sandra Wilson on 02/21/10 19:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like my Sienna except for an occasional problem. When I go to put the van into Park, it sticks in Reverse. Since this is an occasional issue, I now leave my foot on the break until the van is turned off!!

Overall above average
By H. Zhao on 01/24/10 16:02 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Brought brand new in 2002. No major issues with van. Now over 150000 miles and still running like new with regular oil change every 3500 miles and timing belt/engine tune at 110000 miles. One problem was the front passenger side break squeaks often after 15000 miles and problem went away after replace front rotor at 110000 miles. Starter went dead at 85000 miles. Other than that, very reliable.

After 5 years, some issues
By robro on 05/31/07 01:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is really dull first of all. Design is dull, driving it is dull, nothing stands out. Here are a few gripes: 1. Known issue - engine will not start if the IAC valve is dirty. 2. Rear brakes squeal. It was covered by warranty, and they issued some tsb, but how are we supposed to keep up with these private tsb tickets? 3. Turn radius stinks. Three point turns, I am beginning to hate them. Just for this alone, I might switch to a honda odyssey, used!

RELIABILITY???
By tbk on 08/02/05 13:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sienna brand new in 2001. A very expensive mistake. Paid thousands more for "legendary" reliability only to find it contains many biodegradeable parts. Oxygen sensors, lower control arms, pads, rotors, drums, even dash lights all needed replacement or servicing within 6 weeks of warranty ending (with only 25000 miles on the vehicle). No help from Toyota... even wanted $75 for a dashboard light bulb! Was told there was no fix for brake noise in Sienna's, "they just do that". Nearly $2000 in repairs to fix everything to try to sell and then the dealer (inspecting the Sienna prior to my selling) told a prospective buyer the brakes squeal because they were aftermarket! Now that's rich!

Squeaky brakes solved
By Nadine on 06/29/05 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle with 4 miles on it and it was the best decision I made. I have yet to do anything but preventative maintenance - gotta love. Just replaced my brakes at 45K and guess what-no more squeal!. Per the brake specialists my brakes squealed because they needed shimming.

They are not all that great
By rbgreeves on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had ride and tire wear problems since day one. Dealer had me buy new wheel, no improvement. Toyota Customer Service is the absolute pits and there is no way I would ever recommend that anybody ever buy a vehicle from Toyota of Melbourne, FL.

Not my favorite car
By Sunny1 on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Compared to my old Plymouth Voyager, I am very disappointed. There is hardly any trunk space. In order to fold the rear seats down, the headrests must first be removed. And then there is not sufficient under seat space to store them, so they take up space in my garage. Plus the headrests are so bulky that they interfere with my vision while backing out of a parking space. There is also not much space up front to store stuff. You can't put anything under the seats because of the seat mechanisms. And there is not much space between the front seats or between the rear and front seats. I do not plan to purchase the Sienna again.

Random problems
By mbinpa on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We went with the Toyota because of its reliability reputation. Well, I am researching other vans because for the second time in 2 years we've got major problems. The first time it took 3 trips to the dealership for them to find a cracked fuel tank. They said they have never seen damage like it in a new car. Yesterday it started grinding and whining, Today it wouldn't go into gear and has been towed to the dealership. We think the transmission is shot. Can you say lemon? (should have gone with the honda)

We love our Sienna CE
By njm on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After having our van for over 1 year we love it. We've gone on long trips with 5 people and it has been very comfortable. We love the way it looks! I drive about 50 to 100 miles a day for my job and I love the handling, cd player, radio. There is plenty of room for my toys (I do therapy with kids in their homes). We have regular maintenance done and we have had no problems. We bought the van for Toyota quality and hope to keep it for a long time.

Sienna rating
By yuyang on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sienna rating: minivan leader, cool design, powerful and fuel economy, comfortable, easy to drive, more functions