Used 2002 Toyota Sienna CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Column stick
By Sandra Wilson

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like my Sienna except for an occasional problem. When I go to put the van into Park, it sticks in Reverse. Since this is an occasional issue, I now leave my foot on the break until the van is turned off!!

Overall above average
By H. Zhao

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Brought brand new in 2002. No major issues with van. Now over 150000 miles and still running like new with regular oil change every 3500 miles and timing belt/engine tune at 110000 miles. One problem was the front passenger side break squeaks often after 15000 miles and problem went away after replace front rotor at 110000 miles. Starter went dead at 85000 miles. Other than that, very reliable.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. With car like ride. Quieter ride than the Odyssey.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats very difficult to remove and made of poor quality. Newer models have flip down seats. Gets average 23 mpg on mix driving, newer models are even worst in gas mileage.

After 5 years, some issues
By robro

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is really dull first of all. Design is dull, driving it is dull, nothing stands out. Here are a few gripes: 1. Known issue - engine will not start if the IAC valve is dirty. 2. Rear brakes squeal. It was covered by warranty, and they issued some tsb, but how are we supposed to keep up with these private tsb tickets? 3. Turn radius stinks. Three point turns, I am beginning to hate them. Just for this alone, I might switch to a honda odyssey, used!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

See my main comments.

RELIABILITY???
By tbk

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sienna brand new in 2001. A very expensive mistake. Paid thousands more for "legendary" reliability only to find it contains many biodegradeable parts. Oxygen sensors, lower control arms, pads, rotors, drums, even dash lights all needed replacement or servicing within 6 weeks of warranty ending (with only 25000 miles on the vehicle). No help from Toyota... even wanted $75 for a dashboard light bulb! Was told there was no fix for brake noise in Sienna's, "they just do that". Nearly $2000 in repairs to fix everything to try to sell and then the dealer (inspecting the Sienna prior to my selling) told a prospective buyer the brakes squeal because they were aftermarket! Now that's rich!

Favorite Features

Very smooth driveability. More carlike than any other minivan except for maybe Honda. Highest head rest adjustability for tall driver safety. (main reason we didn't buy Honda in the first place!)

Suggested Improvements

1.Having seats with LATCH but no tether anchors and then other seats with tehter anchors but no LATCH makes no sense! 2.A little compassion from Toyota for low mileage "just out of warranty" vehicles would go a long way towards customer retention. 3. Seats are way too soft 4.Huge turning circle!

Squeaky brakes solved
By Nadine

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle with 4 miles on it and it was the best decision I made. I have yet to do anything but preventative maintenance - gotta love. Just replaced my brakes at 45K and guess what-no more squeal!. Per the brake specialists my brakes squealed because they needed shimming.

Favorite Features

The captain's seat. I have a mild scoliosis and have had problems finding a comfortable car seat, but this supports my back perfectly. I am able to stack 4x8 sheetrock or plywood in the back as long as I drop the seats.

Suggested Improvements

Done in the newer models. More cargo space.